electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Cross Modulation Nocturne
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

What synth do you think was used for this music?
Kyma X
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Nord Modular G2
63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Moog Modular
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Cross Modulation Nocturne Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a short compostion. It is a nocturne using a technique called cross modulation which is discussed in this forum topic: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-7256.html

This lasts about 4 minutes and is in three movements. The second and third are connected.

This piece has lots of harmonics that come from the cross modulation. Processing this into mp3 really mellows it out. Encoding/decoding is much less objectionable than I would have thought it would be. Shocked

I hope you enjoy it.

XImprov-072705-2.mp3
 Description:
Cross Modulation Nocturne
By Howard Moscovitz
Copyright 2005 by Howard Moscovitz

Download
 Filename:  XImprov-072705-2.mp3
 Filesize:  2.91 MB
 Downloaded:  4483 Time(s)

Last edited by mosc on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
[it] is in three movements. The second and third are connected

...this is a shame howard, i was hoping to have enough time to clap between movements! well done

deknow
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha ha... you know hi brows don't clap between movements. Very Happy

The only thing hi brow about me is my high brow. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
orczy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I enjoyed this Howard. The whole thing seemed to be moving toward the last movement, like a corkscrew. The first movement introduced the listener into the soundworld, the second is a closer look, and the third (to me) seemed like a reflection on all that went before, almost sad.
I think the third movement was the most successful, I liked the groove it develops, and the "voices" are clearer.
All in all, an enjoyable listen, with humour in a similar way to that of Wishart "Tongues of Fire", or Ligeti "Artikulation".
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. This corkscrew thing is pretty typical of free improvization. I've not heard it described this way, but it certainly applies.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cross Modulation Nocturne Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I hope you enjoy it.

I did.

Did you make this with the G2 ?

Jan.
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it mosc!
Interesting textures and depth. Cool
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: bump Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

two things: was it the G2/Kyma/and(or) other?

and, if it's not too much to ask, I'd really love to *hear* this at it's "best". To me, I think the harmonics playing together is what makes it capture me. If you can, can you either post or email it to me at a higher rate? (or better, in ogg vorbis at high rate)? Hate to have you do make work, but those harmonics...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, the answer is G2. Sorry for the drama. I love excitement. Laughing

Hmm. I will try to do a high bitrate Vorbis version. This will be interesting...

Thanks for the good words and encouragement everyone.

CaringSpirits

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: My sister swares by this place for tarot and spells Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just used http://www.caringspirits.com because my sister had amazing luck with a couple of her spells: a love spell, and now a career spell. She also said that a Tarot Reading she go was right on. Because of course, my sis can't use anyone I would recommend, she's gotta find her own way. But it worked! I'm just glad she didn't waste her money, but of course, she's happy she's in love. Actually he's a cool guy, and I am happy for them. Read about her spell casting review HERE if you want.

Let me know if anyone else knows of other places that "REALLY" work for spells and tarot readings?
Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautiful. i particularly like it at around the 2:50 mark. have you posted the patch up?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By now, I've forgotten what patch I used.

Thanks for the kind feedback, Stanley...

CaringSpirits: you seem to be on the wrong forum... Shocked

Stanley Pain

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 35

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no problem. how many oscillators did you use, and was there any live interaction, or did you use evelopes/lfos/sequencers?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two oscillators are really all you need for lots of amazingly diverse timbres. At the Modular 2003 Conference in London I gave an entire performance on one NM1 patch that was similar to the one included in the link attached. I posted the latest version of this that is stored in my G2.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-88856.html#88856

I use this a lot. For example, it is the heart of this noodle.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-85283.html#85283

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Set the controls for the heart of the noodle. This is powerful stuff, Howard.

Cheers,
Scott
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Set the controls for the heart of the noodle. This is powerful stuff, Howard.

Cheers,
Scott

'Be careful with that Noodle Eugene'
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I had missed this one. that's very nice. I would like to ask you how much indeterminacy there is in a piece like this one and if you can predict the outcome.
hint: the is no wrong answer Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a lot of indeterminacy when improvising with such flexible instruments, but the whole thing is under the control of the musician. No two improvisations are going to sound exactly alike but there are many idioms, motifs, gestures, and other stylistic elements that are consistent though my work.
elamont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure how I missed this one earlier. Powerful describes it perfectly!
Erin
love spells
tarot readings
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: My sister swares by this place for tarot and spells Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CaringSpirits wrote:
I just used http://www.caringspirits.com because my sister had amazing luck with a couple of her spells: a love spell, and now a career spell. She also said that a Tarot Reading she go was right on. Because of course, my sis can't use anyone I would recommend, she's gotta find her own way. But it worked! I'm just glad she didn't waste her money, but of course, she's happy she's in love. Actually he's a cool guy, and I am happy for them. Read about her spell casting review HERE if you want.

Let me know if anyone else knows of other places that "REALLY" work for spells and tarot readings?

how did we miss this one??

yes, howard, a significant piece that i always remembered

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: My sister swares by this place for tarot and spells Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

paul e. wrote:
how did we miss this one??

Howard did actually spot it, guess the spamicides were just not as good those days.

L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very beautiful especially the third movement!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

L´Andratté wrote:
very beautiful especially the third movement!

Thanks man.

Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Howard Moscovitz
Jump to: