electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
electro-music New Year's Eve Party
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Moderators: shanemorris
Page 1 of 6 [150 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject:  electro-music New Year's Eve Party
Subject description: Let have a real-time good time...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lets have an online electro-music.com international New Year's Eve party and electro-jam. Almost all cultures celebrate the January 1st New Year so this is sure not to offend too many people.

We will set up our shoutcast server to run all day Dec 31 through Jan 1. We'd like people in their studios to set up live streaming of performances, jam sessions, or any kind of musical expression for streaming. The electro-music.com members and lurkers can tune in and share the experience. Hopefully, we will get people volunteering from all over the world to sign up for a time slot. Pick a time convenient for you - it doesn't have to be Midnight in your time zone, but that would be cool.

To do the streaming, all you need is a PC with Winamp and some simple plugins. If you are are interested in participating, we'll set up a test server just for you to experiment on to make sure you can get it to work.

If you are interested, please let us know but posting a reply to this topic. We'll pass out times on a first come basis. I'll stream from my house at midnight Eastern US time. We'll have some electro-friends over to jam. Why don't you do the same?

I'll post the PC/Winamp instructions soon. Elecktro80 has been working on the Mac method too.

It's party time... party time!

UPDATE: Winamp instructions posted: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9065.html

Mac OSX users are encouraged to use NiceCast which we have tested.

We are going to be able to stream noodles. See: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9240.html

A page has been set up with the schedule. During the event the streaming will be hosted here: radio.electro-music.com.

Last edited by mosc on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:29 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

count us in! we are lame and usually end up celebrating the new years quietly at home with the pets. ramona and i will definitely want to play a set (and maybe have some other friends over as well). in fact, if anyone wants to come to leominster, we could have a low key party/jam/performance thing. people are welcome to crash here as well.

so let me know what plugins i need so i can get setup here! if there is a decent looking way to add video, let me know, and i'll invite doctor t as well!

deknow
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw, howard, if anyone is offended by "new years", we could try "annual loop point"

deknow
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great!

I am still trying to solve the mac side of shoutcasting.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...is there really no other intrest in this?

deknow
Mohoyoho

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested!
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
http://cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck2
http://www.limitedwave.com/subterraneous/
glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This is great!

It's not free, but Nicecast is a great app. Icecast will work on Mac OS X, too, with a fair amount of configuration.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
btw, howard, if anyone is offended by "new years", we could try "annual loop point"

deknow

I don't think anybody will be offended by "new year" but we could use podcasting in some form, backed by scripts so Egiptians, Chinese, Jews, Mayas and other callendar keepers can submit and receive their jams at apropriate times. Twice the milenium bugs, all the taste!

glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dunno, "Annual Loop Point" is pretty funny ;)
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so that's 1/(60 * 24 *365.25)BPM? I'm not sure Ableton supports that.

:¬p

glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use MAX/MSP!
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like ChucK...

Code:

365::day => now;           //wait for a 365 days
<<< "happy new year!" >>>;

Chuck is very good at doing stuff with time though it does seem that "year" isn't yet defined. Perhaps

Code:

365::day => year;       //define year
year => now;              //wait for one
<<< "happy new year!" >>>;

Would be more leggible. Max/MSP is cool and all but I seriously doubt there are any musical languages more suitable for joking about callendars then ChucK.

glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just can't hang with this conversation.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No? I thought those code samples were very funny myself. Oh, well....
glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They were funny, but I didn't have anything witty to reposte with. Maybe it's time for the Dungeons and Dragons references. I've got depth with that.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like casting "haste" on the world in order to get the side effect of making it age by one year?

(ouch, that was bad, I'm realy terribly sorry.)

glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha! That was pretty good.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I posted some information on how to do the streaming from Windows PCs. See: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9065.html

Maybe Glaive or elektro80 can point to the best places to get OSX software. The Shoutcast servers are already running.

If you want to stream at the New Years event, or at any other time, send me a PM and I'll give you a pair of port numbers and passwords for a test server.

We have software on the server that will translate from the test servers to the main server so once you get things set up an working, you won't need to worry about making any changes when your stream becomes the active one.

To sign up for a time, please contact me via PM. Time slots will go on a frist come first served basis or though some other arbitrary unspecified process.

It is recommended that in your live setup you include a mic for announcements. Think of this as a radio program. Between songs (or pieces, or whatever you are playing) you should talk to us in the audience. Let us know whats going on where you are.

We'll use the electro-music.com chat room to keep in touch during this entier event. There will be an web page that will be kept up-to-date on what's going on and it will point to the streams' URLs.

We'll try to record the entire event from the server, but don't trust it. I request the everyone record their own "sets" themselves just to make sure nothing gets lost.

If you participate in this madness, you implicitly give electro-music.com the right to release this material in the form of podcasts so people who miss it can tune in later.

Let's keep this thread relatively On Topic, if possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

glaive wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
This is great!

It's not free, but Nicecast is a great app. Icecast will work on Mac OS X, too, with a fair amount of configuration.

What I am trying to figure out is the live uplink to the server bit. I am sure there are a few on OS X who would like to broadcast performances in RT.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's Nicecast:
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/

And directions for an Icecast OS X installation:
http://www.geektimes.com/macintosh/os/x/10_3/and/icecast_install.html

I think that the Nicecast demo is fully functional for 2 weeks or something, so it would work for a one-shot stream to the central relay server.

(Ahhh, contrition ;) )
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We don't need the IceCast server, we have already installed the Shoutcast server and it works well. If Icecast is better, let's discuss that somewhere else. For this event we don't want to change servers in mid stream.

Nice cast looks quite nice. Even if you buy it, the price is very resonable.

glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking that Icecast would work on the client side to relay the performer's audio to your equipment. Perhaps it doesn't do that. It's been a while since I've used it.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I thought it was a server application similar to Shoutcast. Maybe we need to clear this up so people don't spend any time going down a dead end.
glaive

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right, it is.

Now that I think about it, when we ran the radio station in 2000, we used a Winamp plugin to convert the stream coming from the performer. The stream was then sent to the Icecast server.

So it looks like Nicecast is the only affordable game in town (Quicktime server probably does this job for a lot more money). This is what the Netstockfest people recommended when they did their online marathon party earlier this year.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems that Nicecast has no way to connect to a Shoutcast server.

I am looking for some sensible information on the Shoutcast uplink protocol. Anyone?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Moderators: shanemorris
Page 1 of 6 [150 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: