electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Barberpole Phaser
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Barberpole Phaser Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could this be offered as a project for someone to put together for 2007? Apart from the Boss PH3, which uses 100+ pin chips, I have never seen a complete circuit diagram from a working unit. I have seen bits of the whole, like the Shepherd Generator in Polyphony all those years ago, so how about it?? I would add that when sunbathing at beach bar just outside Alicante in Spain on New Year's Eve I gave this some thought whilst having a cafesito!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The reason I imagine, you've never seen one here or elsewhere is probably because the actual design of such a circuit would be a rather time consuming act (as well as highly expensive) to follow.

Essentially you'd need a quadratic sinewave oscillator with each phase out patched to a individual phase circuit, but then somehow you would have to mask the modulation signal while it was falling, and that would require some VCA's

Have you got a Nord Micromodular? I once made a barberpole phaser for the Nord, it worked very well.

I do believe that Doepfer or Analogue Systems once made a sheppard generator for commercial purchase some time ago. It was quite pricey if I remember? Can you dig up the design from Polyphony Mag at all? (Remember not to post it here, unless you have got permission from Paia!).

The best bet I reckon, would be to build Scott's vactrol phaser project and experiment with that. The AD633 too can be utilised as a quadratic oscillator (and perhaps next time, while you are lying on a nice beach getting a suntan you could devise a circuit to add here?- you cheeky monkey! Laughing )
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply. The main reason for our trip to Spain was to visit my sister in law who had a brain tumour removed in November, but as the sun happened to be shining in the morning...............well, a walk to the beach seemed in order!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

.... and on years day, here back in Blighty, it was pissing down and freezing cold! Laughing
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One way to get barberpole phasing is to put a couple of all pass filters (standard phaser blocks) in the feedback path of a frequency shifter.
As shown in this demo patch that works with the free G2 demo.

Of cause a frequency shifter is not a trivial DIY project but I think there is at least one on the net. And it is useful for other effects as well.

BarberpolePhaser.pch2
 Description:
like the name says

Download
 Filename:  BarberpolePhaser.pch2
 Filesize:  1.21 KB
 Downloaded:  1909 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A frequency shifter project would be more welcome I think- and easier to build/ design I reckon. Idea

But again, it's best to see what comes up. It more exciting that way, imo. I think it would get rather stupid here if E-M would just become an online version of Funkyjunk. Shocked
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

re: frequency shifter

henry, who has posted here a few times [DIY tape flanger] has a really cool freq shifter project

here:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/henry01/frequency_shifter/frequency_shifter.htm
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well there you go Very Happy

Thanks for the link. Cool
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And what a nice frequency shifter too! Very Happy

Shame there is no PCB............ Rolling Eyes Laughing

Henry?
StephenGiles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
One way to get barberpole phasing is to put a couple of all pass filters (standard phaser blocks) in the feedback path of a frequency shifter.

Of cause a frequency shifter is not a trivial DIY project but I think there is at least one on the net. And it is useful for other effects as well.

What do I play this sample in please?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

StephenGiles wrote:
g2ian wrote:

What do I play this sample in please?

The Nord Modular g2 Demo software here Smile (bottom right)
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Shame there is no PCB............

I began work on a board for the Thru- Zero VCO early last year, it's about 80% done, haven't messed with it in a while as I got a new computer and i can't run the old software in Windows XP... [looking for a new layout program]

Both Ken Stone and J. Haible have dome filter board layouts... Haible has a Freq shifter of his own...

The multiplier board will be easy.

perhaps i will get to it- or... just build it on radio shack perf board. Not so pretty- but oh so easy.

josh
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

topp wrote:
re: frequency shifter

henry, who has posted here a few times [DIY tape flanger] has a really cool freq shifter project

here:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/henry01/frequency_shifter/frequency_shifter.htm

Here is another one: from Jürgen Haible
http://jhaible.heim.at/jh_fs2/jh_fs2.htm
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:

Here is another one: from Jürgen Haible
http://jhaible.heim.at/jh_fs2/jh_fs2.htm

woah!! AD633's AND a PCB layout???? Cool Cool Cool Laughing

Funky, can you put this in the links section??
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: freq shifter Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electronotes has some good freq shifter designs, which is also included in the cheaper 'Preferred circuits' edition.
maybe there is a barberpole phaser in there too??, I remember some article about it.

I made a frequency shifter panel a few years ago, Core circuit was Electronotes FS, 3 CGS dome filters, 4 JH ring mods, 2 passive ring mods, CGS VCO.
Also included a modded 'Lissajous Pattern Generator' from a 70's Silicon Chip mag, strangely similar to the 'oscillograph' of another thread, I had some hopes of being able to get interesting effects by having adjustable phase and amplitude on the sine/cosine outputs - No, it is good on the scope tho.
pics here -

http://www.sdiy.org/pinky/frqshif%20004a.jpg

http://www.sdiy.org/pinky/frqshif%20003a.jpg

Andrew
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Funky, can you put this in the links section??

ok, it's done (hopfully done right )
But is i understand this Project one has to bring the PCB Parts by his own together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: