electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
UD-1 Drum Voice Extra Features
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: UD-1 Drum Voice Extra Features Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have thought of a couple of add ons to the existing design of the UD-1 drum voice that I will have available as a full kit or as bare PC boards later in the spring. I want to keep the cost low but I want to add the following features:

1) Ability plug in a universal volume foot controller into the UD-1 to control the overall pitch of the drum.

2) Add voltage controllable FM so that the UD-1 could also produce bell like tones. Either knobs or pedals can control the depth and frequency of the modulation to the UD-1's base VC oscillator.

3) Long variable decay for the bell tones fade away nicely. Put simply, a larger range of decay times up to about 5 to 7 seconds.

What would you guys like to see added to the UD-1 Question

Thanks,
Bill
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1. Noise, of course, or more simply, an external input to the CA3080

2. Inverted Sweep.

3. Auto Roll, for those who never mastered the paradiddle.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
1. Noise, of course, or more simply, an external input to the CA3080

2. Inverted Sweep.

3. Auto Roll, for those who never mastered the paradiddle.

These are nice ideas. The auto roll is one I have not thought of. Idea
The inverted sweep should be an easy one to impliment and would be a nice feature. Maybe tunable noise. I had been kicking that idea around a bit myself.

Thanks for you input,

Anyone else have some ideas?

Thanks,
Bill
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well a filter with selectable low, high, and bandpass would be nice if noise will be included. Tunable noise would be nice too.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well a filter with selectable low, high, and bandpass would be nice if noise will be included. Tunable noise would be nice too.

Yes, is a toss of a coin here. Add a VC filter, say a single pole, or do the tunable noise thing. The filter you speak of would be a state variable type with LP, HP, BP. I think there are real cool single chip state variables out there.

Thanks for your input ... Very Happy

Bill
synth_ollie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the only thing I can think of that hasn´t already been mentioned is distortion or od, for those nasty bd and sd sounds....
bugbrand

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
I think there are real cool single chip state variables out there.

Sounds interesting!

synth_ollie wrote:
the only thing I can think of that hasn´t already been mentioned is distortion or od, for those nasty bd and sd sounds....

---maybe feedback? That's used for some of the classic 808 drum sounds, no?

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
State Machine wrote:
I think there are real cool single chip state variables out there.

Sounds interesting!

I am really leaning towards the tunable noise option. I want to use an amplified noise source to FM the VCO section of a CD4046 PLL as I have many of those chips on hand.

I will also incorporate switchable invert/non-invert sweep as had been suggested.

Bill
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What single chip state variables are you referring to?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What single chip state variables are you referring to?

I have a data sheet at home. I will dig it up and post it when I get back there. I just can't remember the part number. OK Very Happy

I believe it was a Fairchild IC.

Bill
bugbrand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, Bill -- I've just been looking at the Nuts'n'volts article Build a Tunable Noise Generator........

Hmmm, integration of the two designs, maybe?

---- is that the tunable noise you & others have been talking about??
---- that one seems to have 1/v oct from the NE566 (though must be a little rough and no temp.comp)

Also, that's got me wondering about pins 5 & 6 on the 566 chip - looking at those two designs, the ADVBass, the Clangora and parts of the Electronic Drum Cookbook ------> well, there's quite a few different versions. Only the Tunable Noise Gen claims to go for 1/vOct. I know that one of the design aims is to be super-simple, so maybe that's why the other designs don't try to do this. The more recent designs (UD1 and Clang) use both pins 5 & 6 whereas the others are driven only with pin5 .. oh, bit confused I am maybe.. The UD-1 page doesn't really go into much detail on the electronics of the pitching...

...another 'also'....
you could mix further audio signals pre-vca via further 150k resitors to the R27 / R3 junction, right? ie - add in noise there

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
---- is that the tunable noise you & others have been talking about??

That is one design I looked at but the NE566 chips are rare. The UD-1 already uses one and I have a limited supply for production of my kits. I may consider a design of my own in terms of the oscillator section. The important thing here is that it is tunable across most of the audio band.

Quote:
---- that one seems to have 1/v oct from the NE566 (though must be a little rough and no temp.comp)

Actually the 1V/Octave comes from the fact that Q3's current is exponential and drives the charging current of the 566's timing capacitor and is quite a nice sweep. This is what allows the circuit to cover such a wide range of frequency so the linear voltage control could not be used. Q2 and Q3 compensate each other in terms of temperature. Besides, it's not a "musical" VCO so the temperature compensation is not that important.

Quote:
Also, that's got me wondering about pins 5 & 6 on the 566 chip - looking at those two designs, the ADVBass, the Clangora and parts of the Electronic Drum Cookbook ------> well, there's quite a few different versions. Only the Tunable Noise Gen claims to go for 1/vOct. I know that one of the design aims is to be super-simple, so maybe that's why the other designs don't try to do this. The more recent designs (UD1 and Clang) use both pins 5 & 6 whereas the others are driven only with pin5 .. oh, bit confused I am maybe.. The UD-1 page doesn't really go into much detail on the electronics of the pitching...

The use of pins 5 or 6 depends on if you want linear control of the frequency (pin 5) or exponential control (pin 6). The UD-1 uses linear control since the envelope driving that pin is already an exponential waveform thus the frequency will change exponentially.

Quote:

...another 'also'....
you could mix further audio signals pre-vca via further 150k resitors to the R27 / R3 junction, right? ie - add in noise there

Yes, you could but you have to be careful on how much signal appears of the input of the 3080. About 10 millivolts is good for this little guy at pin 3, over that and you will start to go non-linear in it's response. I would make the noise and VCO levels independently adjustable then sum them into the VCA.

Thanks for your questions and ideas ...

Bill
bugbrand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers for the comments & info Bill

Yeah, my imagined mix was to incorporate a simple white noise gen (like in the Tunable Noise Gen) that'd be used for 2 things - 1) pitch mod of the NE566 osc (so only 1 chip still) and 2) mix the noise with the VCO output before the VCA.

Daresay a glide on the pitch mod noise could be useful too.. Hmm, something to try out with other devices first, I think, to get an idea of how it'd sound..

bugbrand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, here's something on G2 demo

Pretty simple additions and gives some nice results (though may sound different in reality of course..)

&, oh, yes Bill -- the individual level controls for noise / VCO on the pre-vca mix was exactly what I was thinking..

So with this you get hi hats and more chucked in too....

Drum Voice UD1 plus Noise.pch2
 Description:
Drum voice based on UD1 plus noise.
Noise as VCO mod source and pre-vca signal.

Download
 Filename:  Drum Voice UD1 plus Noise.pch2
 Filesize:  1.61 KB
 Downloaded:  1951 Time(s)

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Ok, here's something on G2 demo

Pretty simple additions and gives some nice results (though may sound different in reality of course..)

So with this you get hi hats and more chucked in too....

Very cool. I got the G2 demo, finally, and have it running on my laptop so I will check the patch out! Thanks for putting the patch together! Very Happy

Quote:
&, oh, yes Bill -- the individual level controls for noise / VCO on the pre-vca mix was exactly what I was thinking..

Yes, it made sense to do it this way Very Happy

Bill
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: