electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
g2ools-1.5 nm2g2 and dx2g2 converters
Page 10 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll have to check -- need to grab old editor 1st to make sure that this is a bug.
/Dasz
qfingers

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
qfingers,

you and 3phase (and all other q2tools contributors) are A W E S O M E

I just converted my entire Papa Nord library and about 85% of the patches were dead on. Whoa, now I do not miss my Papa Nord at all.

One question, on some patches (most of them), the osc pitch is converted to Hz, could one instead ensure the converted pitch is in semi's?

/Dasz

Thank you. It's been a wild ride for both me and 3phase. Our only contact has been this forum and this project. He is a monster when it comes to this stuff. We had difficult problems to work out. They are not all there yet. Version 1.3 will probably increase your 85% to higher. There were some minor mishaps on communication between us and we were wearing out.

As far as your question goes, there were places were Hz was used in the patch so I felt it best to keep it at Hz when the patch had it. Other places required different things because of the grey slave connections. So, I would be hesitant to do it because of what things may break. Based on other convertion issues it would be risky. When I start the next major update, I'll look into it though.

I'm hoping for 1.3 out this weekend and taking a month off from the project. I've got another pressing project that's use to pay for my G2X. I've got 4 weeks to finish it and cannot work on both. So after the next release, that's it for a month or two.

q
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matt and 3Phase,

What I reported is not a bug. The freq button translation is correct - I checked over the patches in the old editor and the oscs were indeed set to Hz.

I forgot the semi button settings is a new name for the note name setting in the Classic.

Quote:

Thank you. It's been a wild ride for both me and 3phase. Our only contact has been this forum and this project. He is a monster when it comes to this stuff. We had difficult problems to work out. They are not all there yet. Version 1.3 will probably increase your 85% to higher. There were some minor mishaps on communication between us and we were wearing out.

I'm hoping for 1.3 out this weekend and taking a month off from the project. I've got another pressing project that's use to pay for my G2X. I've got 4 weeks to finish it and cannot work on both. So after the next release, that's it for a month or two.

You deserve the break. What you have given us is so much more than anyone would expect. A big thanks salut salut salut
/Dasz
ps.: The number of successful conversions of almost 400 patches was 95%!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the python function to do the DX2G2 pitchEG rate conversion working, but it is hard to tell how close the result is.
Is anyone able to post or pm me an mp3 of a real DX7 or FM7 etc, playing single notes of the following factory sounds...
    Decent
    Voices
    Flexatone
    Funky Rise.

All on Rom cartridge 4 A or B.
They represent enough variation in rates/levels to fine tune the values in my table.

Thanks again to q and Sven for all the work that went into the converter.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My initial suggestion for a subforum was actually ment for the lib itself..but ok..we have one now for all converter questions and the lib so
I think it would be good to structure this new subforum a bit better...
My suggestions:

There should be one thread maybe as sticky that is only for handling information to compile the info for the documentation...

so i actually suggest to cannibalize this thread and move the related mails...

one thread that is related to bug finding and discussion..so mainly this thread.. but without a sticky..because it might be not the most actual point of discussion...

A sticky where the application in the actual version is housed, the gui, bugfix list..and when done the documentation..maybe even locked?

A sticky in the main forum to anounce new versions would be nice..

And also as a sticky the Lib itself in whatever form it will be implemented...

Just for the time being this would give a rough structure because there will be own threads for single problems and questions while the main threads got too big already...

Would be good if the link where the actual program can be found is somehow permanent and not too crowded by discussions...

What do you think?
Tom_1970

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Version 1.3 works fine so far.
DX conversion also runs smootlhy now.

Thanks a lot for this very handy tool!!!

Regards

Tom
Tom_1970

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have experimented today with the conversion of DX patches.

For my Yamaha DX pluginboard I used DX-manager as an editor/librarian.
The main library file of this editor contains over 5000 DX patches.
By just copying the ones I am interested in and paste them into a new bank, I created a bank with 32 patches. I saved it as a .syx file and converted it with dx2g2.
It works perfect. The patches sound pretty accurate and it's a piece of cake to convert only the sounds you want.
My G2 engine became a true DX7 this way.

You guys did a very good job on this tool.
My thanks and compliments.

Regards

Tom
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could you maybe supply the 5000 patches from that editor? maybe they are different to the publik domain ones..or the same but cattegorized..
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Minor little buggy: mister Björk_Mikael's patches do not play right away because of an 'invalid module name' error. This is caused probably by the ö character; if the textmodule with the name is deleted, the patches play and appear ok.

Edit: found another one: in a fraction of patches, patch cables have wrong colors. Outputs from audio-rate modules in seldom cases have blue wires, which results in distortion. Disconnect/connect fixes this. See for instance attached patch (cables from mixers to env).

StringEnsemble.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  StringEnsemble.pch2
 Filesize:  4.91 KB
 Downloaded:  1570 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you name the source folder.. = author name?

would be good if any patch that is shown here is alsos supplied with the source adress for later reference...
Spandex

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I run dx2g2 on Linux (Debian) I get errors:-

Code:

spandex@pr0k:~/g2ools-1.2$ python -V
Python 2.3.5
spandex@pr0k:~/g2ools-1.2$ python ./dx2g2.py magazine_927.syx
magazine_927.syx 32 voice
/home/spandex/g2ools-1.2/nord/g2/file.py:41: FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in Python 2.4 and up
  return (icrc<<8)^crc
 1. **Slaps**
 2. Fairlight?
 3. Fizz Buzz
 4. Downstairs
 5. Berlin
 6. GlassPiano
 7. Soft Grand
 8. Timefluss
/home/spandex/g2ools-1.2/nord/g2/file.py:77: FutureWarning: x<<y losing bits or changing sign will return a long in Python 2.4 and up
  return (x&~(m<<p))|((m&y)<<p)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./dx2g2.py", line 169, in ?
    dxconv.pch2.write(outname+'b%d.pch2' % bank)
  File "/home/spandex/g2ools-1.2/nord/g2/file.py", line 1071, in write
    f = section.format(self.patch)
  File "/home/spandex/g2ools-1.2/nord/g2/file.py", line 150, in format
    bit = setbits(7*8,5,data,desc.reserved)
  File "/home/spandex/g2ools-1.2/nord/g2/file.py", line 92, in setbits
    data.extend([ 0 ] * (last-len(data)))
TypeError: can only extend array with array (not "list")
spandex@pr0k:~/g2ools-1.2$

I've tried with lots of different syx files, always get the same thing. The one I tried above is one from this thread so I know it's working ok for some people.

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think most people are using 2.5, or at least 2.4. Looks like you are using 2.3.5. Try to update your python?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Python 2.3.something gave trouble for me as well on windows, now using 2.5 that works.
Spandex

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah thanks. I need to run 2.3 for something else. I'll find a way to get both installed.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
can you name the source folder.. = author name?

would be good if any patch that is shown here is alsos supplied with the source adress for later reference...

It came out of one of the patch collections, so I have no author name. I can look up the path when I'm home tonight.
I did see it a few other times as well, but didn't get alarmed cause I thought it didn't affect sound. In the example I posted it has a clear effect on sound, so I really think those cables operate at 24kHz. Will pay attention and report if I run into them again.

3phase

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its ok...that one is fixed allready... mr quickfinger just needed a minute or so...
next one Wink
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spandex wrote:
Ah thanks. I need to run 2.3 for something else. I'll find a way to get both installed.

Are you on XP?

use the environment variables PYTHONPATH and PYTHONHOME
Don't hardcode the path to the interpreter in the path environment variable.
Replace it with %PYTHONHOME%
3phase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So 1.5 is there ....
biggest change is the new -s flag that optimizes the cable conections to increase tzhe overview...

I personally think this should become a default function but i needs to be tested for a while to ensure that it allways does the wright thing.
torsig1967

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tried the g2tools for the first time today and just want to send a big THANK YOU to everyone involved.

Amazing work!
jjpleeza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Some patches aren't converted? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HI, I just downloaded the new archive of patches for the G2, but a lot of the original NM1 vocoder patches are misssing..
Why is this? Is the converter not complete yet?
Also, a lot of the ones that have been completed didn't sound like the original patches.. Is this due to bugs?
Thanks, Jonny

P.S. Much respekt on all the hard work you guys have done on implementing this software guys!
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Some patches aren't converted? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jjpleeza wrote:
Is the converter not complete yet?
Also, a lot of the ones that have been completed didn't sound like the original patches.. Is this due to bugs?

It is early days.
Sounds like you have both NM and G2 so you can help the project if you can diagnose why the two patches don't sound the same and post the results. Or at least post the pch/pch2 pairs so someone else can have a look.
jjpleeza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I sold the NM1 when I bought the G2.
Really miss the old vocoder patches though.

I'm far from being s programing guru, so I can't tr-programe these myself.

There are 3 patches I REALLY need.

Classic Vocoder
Saw Vocoder
Phase Vocoder

If anyone can re-create these for the G2 I'll be
happy to swing them some money for their time..
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Some patches aren't converted? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jjpleeza wrote:
....Also, a lot of the ones that have been completed didn't sound like the original patches.. Is this due to bugs?

This nobody can tell aslong you dont point us to patches that dont sound wright...

There are points where Nm1 and G2 sound different...some patches suffer from this more than others but basicaly it should be close enough that you can see it as the same sound...
but its also possible that there are still bugs that are overseen... when patches drasticaly go wrong it gets interesting
jjpleeza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can someone please tell me what the equivalent of the Formant OSC is on the G2?

Cheers,
Jonny
torsig1967

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jjpleeza wrote:

Classic Vocoder
Saw Vocoder
Phase Vocoder

And where can these NM1-patches be found?
Page 10 of 14 [326 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » g2ools utilities
Jump to: