electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 engine as Midi controller
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jim Bonn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject:  G2 engine as Midi controller
Subject description: Nord G2 engine as MIDI Controller
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought a Nord G2 engine a few days ago to use as a midi controller because of its "MonoKey" module. I sample acoustic instruments with a Kurzweil 2600, so I want the G2 to send this MonoKey function to "other" sound modules as I play orchestral repertoire.

I am trying to design a G2 engine patch that applies two Mono Key functions in series (MonoKey1 LOW first, then MonoKey2 LAST) and then sends the filtered MIDI signal to the G2 Midi Out. So far, I can't design a patch that allows me to have two MonoKey modules in series and when I experiment with only one Mono Key module, it seems to work on G2 internal sounds, but doesn't send the newly filtered Mono note signals to MIDI OUT. After my first few days of work, I have the impression that the Mono Key module might apply only to internal sounds (like my Proteus 2000, where it is called "SoloMode").

If someone can help me with this, I probably can do the followup with turning the program on and off with midi pedal switches, then channel change before MIDI OUT, (though the G2 channel change doesn't have any place for cables... unless it's done somewhere other than MidiNoteZone module?)

Thanks, JBonn
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey welcome.

I don't think I understand what you are trying to achieve.

The monokey takes midi note messages from the midi in (or keyboard for non engine), the pitch/gate/vel outputs then represent the single last, lowest or highest note event depending on the setting. If you connect these to a midi note send module, you can transmit the monophonic note stream to an external device or another slot. I guess you could have another monokey/midinote combo in the other slot with a different note priority but I have no idea why that would be useful.

I did use a pair of monokeys once to simulate the Hi/Low poly mode on the Cat/ARP Oddy.

I should also point out that the monokey module is broken in version 1.4 (and below) in that the velocity output is dead when in low mode.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 266
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you found your way here Jim, welcome
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 266
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is some info that Jim sent me earlier in an email, it might help to explain things.

Quote:

There were two different ways "mono key" worked on
internal sounds in older machines.

As an example for low note sensing:

#1- you play a chord and only the lowest note is
output - If you pick up just the lowest note of the
chord and leave the remaining notes held (tied) it
will output only the lowest REMAINING note. This
gives you a continuous monophonic line made out of the
lowest sounding notes whenever the function is
activated. (this system gets a little funny as you
hear new much higher "low" notes popping through in
any spaces between lower notes so you have to restrict
it to a bass note range.

A more USEFUL low note sensing:

#2 - you play a chord and only the lowest note is
output - If you pick up just the lowest note of the
chord and leave the remaining notes held there will no
longer be any low note sensed thus no output... until
a new lowest note is played rather than just held.
(This is a more sophisticated system musically and
requires that the player is able to control note
duration critically - when a legato bass line is
ascending the player needs to be able to play legato
without overlap as the previous lowest note-off needs
to be sent a fraction before the new note-on is sent.
Descending bass notes, are, of course easy because
each new note IS the lowest and recently played.

Though I could be happy with one channel doing this
function, Ideally for my live performance console I
would like the G2 to sense in any of 3 modes on 3
separate incoming channels - all based on #2 above.

For instance - channel 1 Midi-In notes would go
through a mono key LOWEST note module and be sent to
channel 4 Midi-Out. Channel 1 Midi-In notes would
ALSO go through a mono key HIGHEST note sensor and be
sent to channel 5 Midi-Out.

Ideally I would like to duplicate this circuit for
incoming channel 2 and 3 also so that each of my three
keyboards in the console are individually covered.
Channel 2, and 3 inputs would result in possible
outputs on channels 6 thru 9 respectively when needed.
In addition I would want to assign up to two
momentary switch pedals for each of the three keyboard
channels to activate/deactivate the "low", "high" or
both circuits. They could use the soft pedal and
sostenuto pedal midi numbers for programs that need
these mono key functions... (the G2 engine does not
have any physical pedal input but one input would not
be an ideal situation anyway.

I made some patches for the type 1 thing at the time, but unfortunately I seem to heve lost those Embarassed

Jim Bonn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks g2ian,

We are on the same page except for your not seeing any reason for this...

Thank you for suggesting that I use another SLOT for a second modifier - I can't seem to cable two MonoKey modules in the same slot and I also noticed that my new 1.4 version won't pass velocity through MonoKey low but figured I didn't hook it up right.

As to my reason.... In a few Rogers organ consoles, especially ones without pedalboard, a 16 ft. bass stop can be added to a 4 voice hymn. It tracks the lowest note RECENTLY played. (If you hold a chord down and pick up only the lowest note, the 16 ft. sound however does NOT leap to the next lowest HELD or TIED note as in the G2 but waits for a newly sounded (LAST) low note. This makes it sound like the performer is using a pedal board when he/she is not.

Proteus 2000 sound modules have 6 different styles of what they call "Solo Mode" with differences in key-up action sensing, legato factors, and where the sample starts etc. The least helpful in live performance is the one that matches the G2 MonoKey module. (To use this type, you need to attach a midi momentary pedal switch command so that you can add "rests" to the monophonic voice.)

(The 5th type in the Proteus called Synth (low) matches the one in the old MiniMoog)

I waited to register on this site until I had a G2 to work with. I noticed that Jan added an e-mail I sent to him some time back before I knew anything about the G2 architecture and I was still considering purchase. I now see that I could work on the G2 for ever and still be a beginner. I'm still getting used to G2 names for things!

These types of controllers have been available in several machines from the past but always as an internal controller of their own sounds, never midi out signals. I'm was hoping that I can get the G2 to send these midi controls to midi out after a channel change... I suppose this should be done in a third slot because the only channel change I see is the midi zone module and it appears global because there are no places to attach cables...???

If I can get around the velocity bug I'll continue working on this patch but I can't use it for concerts without velocity.
Thanks for the ideas, Jim
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, that makes sense thanks.

This may not be any help but I’ll post just in case.

Slot A has a poly keyboard module in the VA which sends gates to the FX area. The gate signals are summed and scaled by the NoteQuant module to produce a signal proportional to how many notes are held down. The Glide, invertible mixer and OR gate produce a brief pulse when there is an increase in the number of keys held, but not a decrease. This pulse is combined with the monokey gate signal to retrigger when a new key is pressed. The MIDI notesend module is set to SlotB to play the bass sound there but just change to MIDI channel 1-16 to control external gear via MIDI out.

Monokey.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Monokey.prf2
 Filesize:  4.35 KB
 Downloaded:  1355 Time(s)

Jim Bonn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This download does several things that I need to learn about. I'll get back after some study... Thanks
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: