electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Introducing S.M.E.L.T.!!!
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Introducing S.M.E.L.T.!!!
Subject description: small toolkit for building laptop instruments
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey ChucKists,

We've released a small toolkit of ChucK and C code that can used to make instruments with the physical input capabilities of the laptop. Check it out and let us know what you think and if anything is broken.

http://smelt.cs.princeton.edu/

Keep on ChucKin'

Rebecca and Ge
majutsu

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool!!

who's rebecca?

ge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

majutsu wrote:
who's rebecca?

Rebecca is our newest, super wonderful, super brilliant soundlab grad student from McGill (Master's in music tech) and The Ohio State University (undergrad). She's also a fierce flutist (pbs is but one example). Visit her homepage here at Princeton CS. I think she is going to rule the Galaxy (and beyond) someday soon.

Last edited by ge on Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
hanez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello,

i was looking at the SMELT files, because i want to write a HID to Midi translator, to improve the remote control ability of my DAW (Ableton Live). In one of the trackpad chuck files i saw how to use the mouse wheel. But a comment there says that you need chuck version 1.2.0.8 to do so.
But where do i get that version?
Is there a place (sourceforge?) from where i can download an actual development version?
When will the next official version be released?

and by the way, i'm new to chuck but it is one of these software, i immediately loved to use - a really powerful and intellectually and aesthetically satisfying piece of software - thanks to the inventors.
ge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hanez wrote:
i was looking at the SMELT files, because i want to write a HID to Midi translator, to improve the remote control ability of my DAW (Ableton Live). In one of the trackpad chuck files i saw how to use the mouse wheel. But a comment there says that you need chuck version 1.2.0.8 to do so. But where do i get that version?

Oops. Sorry about that. Yeah, 1.2.0.8 is still in development and is only accessible via CVS.

Quote:
When will the next official version be released?

We are hoping within the next month.

Quote:
and by the way, i'm new to chuck but it is one of these software, i immediately loved to use - a really powerful and intellectually and aesthetically satisfying piece of software - thanks to the inventors.

Thank YOU!!!
ge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ge wrote:
Yeah, 1.2.0.8 is still in development and is only accessible via CVS.

chuck-1.2.0.8 now released!!!

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

SMELT should now work like a fish in um lava!
utenzil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hanez wrote:
hello,

i was looking at the SMELT files, because i want to write a HID to Midi translator, to improve the remote control ability of my DAW (Ableton Live). In one of the trackpad chuck files i saw how to use the mouse wheel. But a comment there says that you need chuck version 1.2.0.8 to do so.

Ah, cool, a new version with HID stuff. Btw, I have used a joystick to send MIDI notes and cc to Ableton live in conjunction with the code discussed here (which cruft is included as an attachment in the last post):

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-15626.html

hanez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ge wrote:
ge wrote:

i got it.
and could extend my hid2midi translator framework.
i needed the mousewheel to select tracks via midi notes, which works good now.
i use the whole thing to have a better workflow when arranging a piece of music with Ableton Live: fast movement between tracks, one keyboard-button for one function (solo, arm etc. ) which is then applied to the chosen track only, defining solo-groups etc.
so far i use only mouse and keyboard.
maybe i will buy a joystik game controller too. which spezifications must it fulfill to be useable with chuck?

thanks
hannes
utenzil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hanez wrote:
ge wrote:
ge wrote:

i got it.
and could extend my hid2midi translator framework.
i needed the mousewheel to select tracks via midi notes, which works good now.
i use the whole thing to have a better workflow when arranging a piece of music with Ableton Live: fast movement between tracks, one keyboard-button for one function (solo, arm etc. ) which is then applied to the chosen track only, defining solo-groups etc.
so far i use only mouse and keyboard.
maybe i will buy a joystik game controller too. which spezifications must it fulfill to be useable with chuck?

thanks
hannes

I've used two joysticks so far, both very inexpensive, the Saitek ST90 and the Saitek ST290.

Also, if you are using windows and you want to do hid2midi, you might want to look at Rejoice http://www.dioramadesign.net/blog/rejoice-midi-software/

Rejoice does a straight mapping of hid buttons and axes to notes or CCs. Don't recall if it recognizes the mouse wheel or not, it is easy to configure.

The advantage of using chuck for this kind of translation is that you are able to combine the inputs and make things happen conditionally. Also, Rejoice is totally freeware, but as such it is unsupported and no longer updated.

hippy dave

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi hi Smile

just found smelt while googling for a way to use my macbook's touchpad as a midi controller (for instruments in logic pro or whichever).

tp-raw.ck looks like a promising start, tho i haven't tried it out yet. another thread on this forum suggests that chuck can be used to send midi to other hosts, so that's all the requirements covered i think Smile

can anyone confirm that smelt/chuck/miniaudicle can do what i'm wanting? in fact, has anyone done it already? (in fact, if it would be a quick job for those who know what they're doing, is anyone feeling particularly charitable? hey, you never know 'til you ask Laughing )

cheers!
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you can do that, you'd need to set up routing from ChucK to Logic using a virtual MIDI port but I think OSX has facilities for those build in.

Welcome!

Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » ChucK programming language
Jump to: