electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Waveform converters/folders/distortion modules
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Eric G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject:  Waveform converters/folders/distortion modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

what are your experiences on these modules? Could you recommend a module that does a good waveform transforming, giving me new waveforms? Voltage controlled. What have you actually tested? Built? Schematics?
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Serge Wave Multiplier and the Bananalogue WVX module which is based on it are fantastic for this purpose. I have not tested the latter but have extensive experience with the former and can tell you that it's quite amazing for subtle to extreme wave-folding and distortion of CV and audio signals.

Here's a description from the serge-fans site:

Quote:
Three different wave shaping sections. I was going to say 'audio wave shaping', but like everything else on the Serge, it can be used for CV also. Top section is a simple linear ac-coupled VCA with switchable mild clipping, handy for modulation or use as spare VCA. Middle section sounds 'something like' a very wild, resonant filter sweep, but that description doesn't do it much justice. Waveform fattener? If you look carefully through the archives on Analogue Heaven you'll find a thorough discussion on what the middle section does, in terms of how the waveform is 'folded over'. The bottom section is very versatile, regular and comparator-driven (pulse wave) outputs deliver woodwind type effects ranging from very subtle to 'bang you on the head.' Electrically, it's a variable full-wave rectifier with level compensation.

. . .

The middle and bottom two sections are most useful with low-harmonic content input waveforms. They have some effect with sawtooth, less with square. This makes sense since they're designed to add harmonics; if the input already has a lot of harmonics the added harmonics stand out less. Since the 2nd input of the middle section is DC coupled, using this with a control voltage along with audio into the 1st input makes for some interesting effects.

The top section is a linear response VCA. Ordinarily this would give dull or unnatural sounding notes when used as a regular VCA, but you can fix this by feeding it exponential envelopes (see notes on DSG and DTG)! Normally, a linear VCA is what you want for amplitude modulating an FM or other exponential parameter.

and from carbon111's Animal page:

Quote:
1) The upper section can operate two ways. With the switch in the HI position this module will "square up" an incoming signal, similar to a comparator but more like the soft clipping you might get from an old tube amp. Put a sinewave through here, apply a CV and you have a variable pulse waveform. With the switch in the LO position, it becomes a VCA useful for amplitude modulation and gating.
2) The middle section is pure magick! It provides a voltage-controllable sweep of odd harmonics in a signal. If you put a sinewave through the input, you get weird windsynth type timbres. Reminiscent of a ring modulator on more complex waveforms but much weirder in effect!
3) The bottom section is 3 full-wave rectifiers in series - fully voltage controllable. You can really dirty up the sound with this section. Not for the faint-of-heart Wink

Here's a description of the Bananalogue WVX from their site. It's available in Frac and Euro formats:

Quote:
The WVX is based on the classic Wave Multiplier module designed by Serge Tcherepnin. Top and bottom sections of the unit are independent and transform an input wave in various ways. The effect is non-linear and useful on both audio and control voltage range wave forms, the most pronounced effect coming from low harmonic content waveforms like sine and triangle.

The top section has DC and AC coupled inputs that may be used alone or together. The signal from Out 1 of the top section adds odd overtones. Out 2 and 3 are from the Lockhart folder.

The bottom section is a full wave rectifier, transforming waves to positive voltage with even harmonics. Out 2 is a "squared" version of Out 1.

Metalbox also makes a wave multiplier in Frac format:

Quote:
Three independent Wave Multipliers that add intense harmonics to static waveforms. The primary multipler has voltage control over the amount of folding, waveform offset, and pulse width modulation. With two inputs, a huge array of sounds can be had. The Grinder adds "ringing" harmonics to any input, sometimes reminiscent to digital aliasing. The Lockhart folder is designed to warp a sine into harmonically rich waveforms. Think of these three Wave Multipliers as "anti-filters" dramatically adding harmonics rather than reducing them. Whilst the primary and Lockhart multipliers are designed for use with raw waveforms, the Grinder is particularily effective on complex inputs such as drum machines.

Also, the Blacet/Wiard Miniwave (also available from Modcan) is known to
be excellent for distortion.

Last edited by cebec on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also look at the Ken Stone / CGS ("Cat Girl Synth") Wave multiplier, available in several versions in kit & assemblied from www.cgs.synth.net and bridechamber.com, and also check out the Doepfer 137 Wave Multiplier. I really wish these types of modules were more readily available as assembled products rather than DIY.
amnesia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kens stuff is soon to be released in Eurorack format under name Panther Series, via Elby Design. So far the Utility LFO and Steiner Filter is ready to go as a kit of complete...Soon Super Psycho LFO, VCO etc Smile
amnesia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh year I love the wave multiplier in my Serge, its got to be hands down THE BEST MODULAR SYNTH!
ndkent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doepfer also has the A-136 Distortion Waveshaper which is nice and not very costly. Also their first attempt, the A-116 Waveform processor which tends to be subtle on a lot of waveshapes. So one woruld probably choose the A-136 over it as it's a more featured version in many respects.

At first I assumed their wave multiplier was a clone of part of the Serge. And while it's the same sort or concept and may be based in part on the Serge circuit it's not the same and has a few more parameters.
Per

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have have experiece of four wave shapers: The Doepfer Distortion/Wave shaper, the Doepfer VC Wave Multiplier the Metalbox Multiplier and a Metasonix TM-1 Waveshaper.
To me, the Doepfer VC Wave Multiplier is best value for money, it can add a lot of nice noise to sine or triangle waves and is more intuitive to work with than the Metalbox gear. Both of them have much more sonic power than the Doepfer Distortion/Wave shaper, that is a bit boring to me.
But if you can like fatness more than harmonics that glitter, the TM-1 is a true friend. I use it in nearly every patch to add serious dirt to the sound.
Per
cbm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While not stand-alone, the Timbre section in the old Buchla 259 and new 261e waveform generators is pretty amazing. A little world unto themselves.
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Waveform converters/folders/distortion modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eric G wrote:
what are your experiences on these modules? Could you recommend a module that does a good waveform transforming, giving me new waveforms? Voltage controlled. What have you actually tested? Built? Schematics?

I've worked off and on for many years on developing novel waveshapers. Check 'em out at my website:
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_circ.htm

I especially like the 5Pulser. Believe it or not, it is more radical than the Serge folder. Sweeping it sounds similar to a hi-Q filter sweep. (Check out the sound clip.)
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sy_cir8.htm

Oh, and there's a tested stripboard layout at the end of the page.

Ian
elemental

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting stuff...

Been looking at both the Bananalogue WVX and Doepfer Wave Multiplier, has anyone got experience with both of these here? The Doepfer is about half the price of the Bananalogue one, but if the sound is better I would rather get that. The sound samples on the Doepfer site dont show the subtle side of it, which I am more interested in than the extreme settings... The Bananalogue samples show a good range of sounds, some of the samples sound wicked, especially when the cv is swept, sounds similar to a resonant distorted filter but quite different and more subtle... I like. (The example with a saw wave sounds sick!)

I'm mostly looking for something to generate nice harmonics from sine or triangle waves, also 808 kicks. I have a custom built valve distortion module which I use on a lot of my sounds for subtle to extreme distortion, want to add waveshaping/folding to my pallete of tools.
Fernando

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also look at Ken's diverse approaches:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs27_tube.html

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs29_wave_multiplier.html

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs38_saw_pitch_shift.html

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs52_folder.html

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs65_vca.html
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: