electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Post Your Thomas Henry Sound Samples and Compositions Here
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject:  Post Your Thomas Henry Sound Samples and Compositions Here
Subject description: If you want to share something you've done with your TH Design
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a reason we all do this - hunt for parts, seek out schematics, sit before an unforgiving breadboard or spend hours soldering tiny bits of metal onto tiny bits of fiberglass and copper. We do it because we share a common love for electro music and the instruments that enable us to make that music. We are not only artists, we are that peculiar breed of artist that eschews the preformulated tubes of paint in the art store, instead choosing to grind his own pigment. Of course, in the end, it's not about the paint, but what it is he puts to canvas.

Howard has given us this wonderful environment to share this work; to be inspired and feed off of each other's creativity. I believe that was one of his goals when he founded electro-music. The MFOS forum already has done it, and I would like to do the same in the Thomas Henry Designs forum: provide a sticky thread for those of you who've made any kind of music with your Thomas Henry designs. I'd like to see people describe, if they wish, what instruments or circuits they used, and, just as much, I would be curious to know what they were thinking or why they made the music. These things interest me; I think they interest us all. Everyone has a reason for what they do, and often it is as important to them as the piece itself. So, if you have anything you'd like to share, please feel free to post it to this thread.

I'll start it off with a piece I recorded tonight instead of doing what it was I thought I was going to do - that's usually how I end up recording. It seems when I sit down to do compose something specific, I more often than not come up empty. If I have something else to do, that's usually when inspiration will strike.

In this case, after a fairly frustrating day, my son pestered me for a walk I had promised him a couple of days ago. This walk had been postponed twice in a row because of rain here. Today it was not terribly sunny, but it wasn't raining, either. I'd just sat down to breadboard the next exciting TH circuit in the chain, but knew I had better fulfill my promise.

It's a rather small town I live in - it doesn't take but maybe fifteen or twenty minutes to walk from one end to the other. We walked to where my old grade school had stood on the other side of town. It was nice, cool weather, and I found the walk a welcome change. I began to think of how some things seem important and how some things are important. I thought of this eight year old boy who adores his father today, and I thought of how, in a few short years, he would soon grow out of this current phase and enter the phase in which he wouldn't be caught dead chumming with his father.

It being our memorial day weekend, I thought of people I wanted to talk to, but could never again converse with in this life. I thought of the impenetrable gulf that separated me from them and how one day, like all living creatures, I too would cross that gulf. I thought of the next soldier who would die and wondered what he was thinking. I thought of the people who had no choice, and wondered what they were thinking. I realized I'm a very lucky person.

So, when I got back, and I sat down in front of the breadboard, I still had the VCO-1 through Mankato filter patch set up. I was still of a mood and figured before I started on the breadboard, I'd play with the patch just a little bit more. I usually run from the synth/breadboards into my Lexicon MX200 reverb, then into the D8. On the Lexicon, I can set up a long delay, enter notes and then set delay time for infinite, effectively turning it into a looper. I entered a few notes of the VCO through Mankato, then switched the delay to infinite so no other notes would be captured by the delay. This signal, and my live signal were then passed through the second stage of the MX200, which was set up as more or less a blanket of reverb. The VCO-1 signal was PWM, modulated by a Ray Wilson LFO, and another LFO was connected to the Thomas Henry keyboard to provide vibrato. The keyboard voltage was controlling the VCO-1 and the Mankato filter cutoff, and trigger/gating a Ray Wilson ADSR which was patched to control the cutoff of the filter. When I had the first VCO/Mankato notes notes recorded into the Lexicon delay, I then adjusted the live signal level relative to the repeating delay 'accompaniment'. I reached over, flipped on the recorder and let it run until it ran out of disk space (I'm always close to full, so this doesn't last nearly as long as I actually played). As I played, I adjusted things like PWM rate, portamento, vibrato level, filter cutoff, filter resonance, and how much effect the EG had on the filter. This is what was captured by the D8 before the dreaded "disk full message" appeared, warts and all - there are no overdubs or anything like that. The only editing is the fade in and fade out (the fade out was necessary to prevent the song from abruptly stopping once the disk in the recorder had been filled).

Cheers,
Scott

bitmonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Really nice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That was *really* nice! This little ditty is a myth buster; it blows away the notion that you need a lot of gear to make good sound, and it shows just how rich a single VCO can sound. One VCO, 2 LFOs, one VCF, one digital delay, one reverb unit... these are simple ingredients that you have used masterfully.

Above all, your musical taste and talent really shine here. Well done, Scott! 'nuff said.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why, thank you John Very Happy

I forgot to mention the power supply is also a Thomas Henry affair - it's a Midwest Audio Platinum Power Supply. Every recording I've made since spring 2005 has used that. I would bet it's essentially the same power supply that's in the "21st Century Synthesizer" project.

Germaniac once mentioned that even a leaf blower would sound good through my Dim C - I'd have to say the same thing about the Mankato. Whenever I use it, I tend towards more of the "classic" analog synth sounds. Actually, the Mankato does have a tap at 12 dB that renders a more plastic type of response that inspires me towards some different form. In any event, I don't want to 'pigeonhole' the Mankato with the 'old skool' label.

In any event, the sample was one of those things I recorded but will probably never "use" because it's all on one stereo track and I can't edit it very easily. It's got a number of keyboard flubs that I'd want to rework. It's one of those samples that ain't perfect, but still frustrates me because I'd like to share it just for the sound of the thing.

So, if anyone has anything they've recorded that's cool - a sound, a blip, a passage that falls into that category of "I like this, but don't know what to do with it" please post it here! I love listening to that kind of stuff.

Cheers,
Scott

Edit: Leaf blower, not snow blower. There is no snow in Germaniac land.

goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent work as always, scott. BTW, if you're really crafty, a leaf blower can sound simply sublime on its own... Think of it as a PCO: a petroleum controlled oscillator Laughing
-justin
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
a petroleum controlled oscillator

Don't give Thomas any more ideas than he already has Very Happy

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that piece you made Scott.

Such walks are important for a young man. I remember the one I had 40 years ago with my grand father quite clearly. He then opened my eyes for trees and plants and such, which is a joy still.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Jan,

My father was really good for walks. He was a biologist and could name the Latin genus & species for all of my questions. So often I would ask him "Hey, Dad, what kind of tree is that?" "Oh that's juglans nigra" or a beetle would be coleoptera this or that. He'd answer me and I'd still scratch my head Very Happy

Your story about your grandfather made me think of a short story written by, surprisingly, Stephen King. No, it wasn't about something popping out of a sewer gutter and eating one's liver - this was actually one of his non-horror works. IIRC, it was called "My Pretty Pony" and it was a story of a boy and his grandfather on a walk. It really had a profound effect on me, because it was the best description on the nature of time (from a human viewpoint) I can recall reading. The grandfather talked about how time moved so slowly when one was young, and he called that "my pretty pony" time. Point of the story was that as you got older, the pretty pony turned out to have a very mean heart. Quite a beautiful story, really.

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Mankato 6dB Sample Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I posted this in "Still a Dream" but I think I should have put it here instead Wink

This is a sample of the 6dB output of the Mankato VCF. Given how smooth the 24dB output sounds, I was surprised by the bite of these sounds. Very 'wet' and squelchy. The tone source is my (t)rusty Odyssey (it's the drone you hear at the very beginning of the sample). I used a Mankato VCF driven by another Mankato set to work as a VCLFO, and the VCLFO is driven by a standard LFO. The VCLFO often goes up into (and through) the audio range, which creates a neat "splatty" sounding heterodyning tone. Anyway, here's the 6dB output of the Mankato!

Tim (let's get splatty with it) Servo

Mankato_Test_05-30_10.mp3
 Description:
Mankato VCF 6dB output sample. Six different takes, spliced and diced in Audity. - reloaded!!

Download
 Filename:  Mankato_Test_05-30_10.mp3
 Filesize:  3.65 MB
 Downloaded:  2213 Time(s)

Last edited by Tim Servo on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooh! Hot Mankato on Mankato action there! What a cool sample.....

The 6 dB output is certainly a side of the Mankato I have never explored (I don't have that output on my breadboard) - and what a cool side that is!

It's a more agressive, techno kind of thing - the wild, untamed side of the Mankato - I would have never believed it was the same filter! Even more versatility!

Thanks for posting that!

Cheers,
Scott

The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not a pure TH patch obviously but it does make use of my two SN Voice's in the sequenced part of track...

the point of my Torn Envelopes recordings are to patch up my synth, no keys just let it self run, record and twist knobs... 100% live, no cuts, no overdubs, no second takes.

http://www.thealisonproject.com/Torn_Envelopes_XV.mp3

a picture of the patch for this track can be found here
http://www.thealisonproject.com/images/15.gif

modules used
- Blacet VCO's x3
- Blacet Miniwave
- Blacet EG1's x2
- Blacet Binary Zone (as clock)
- Blacet Improbability Drive
- Blacet Time Machine
- CGS Programmer Sequencer
- CGS Sequential Switch
- CGS Infinite Melody
- CGS Psycho LFO
- CGS Super Psycho LFO
- Thomas Henry SN Voice x2
- Tellun Neural Agonizer
- Modcan Diode Filter
- LFO's, Mixers, Mutliples
- MOTM Ultra VCO
- MOTM VCA
- MOTM MS-20 VCF
- MOTM S&H

Chris
www.thealisonproject.com
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Not a pure TH patch obviously but it does make use of my two SN Voice's in the sequenced part of track...

Thanks for posting this!

It's got SN-Voices, it certainly qualifies. We have precious few SN-Voice samples to begin with (I say as my SN-Voice board still awaits population).

Anyway, nice track! Sounds very sci-fi to me - it gives me the impression of a malevolent race of machines hatching a plot that's not entirely for the benefit of the humans. And parts of it sound almost like sibilant words are being formed here and there. What's creating that higher pitched ratcheting noise sound?

Quote:
a picture of the patch for this track can be found here
http://www.thealisonproject.com/images/15.gif

Shocked Whoaaa......!

Cheers,
Scott

The Alison Project

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

What's creating that higher pitched ratcheting noise sound?

Ken Stones Infinite Melody feeding three VCO's

Haha now I'm feeling robots with this track...
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
This little ditty is a myth buster; it blows away the notion that you need a lot of gear to make good sound

And it blows away the notion that electronic music is "cold." This piece oozes warmth and feeling. The sounds perfectly fit the images of a man and his young son walking together through a small town on Memorial Day. Bravo Stites.

Quote:
BTW, if you're really crafty, a leaf blower can sound simply sublime on its own... Think of it as a PCO: a petroleum controlled oscillator

A PCO--thanks for this! My perception of that infernal machine is changed forever--it will always be music to my ears now. Well, almost music. Wink
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why thanks, Ong Germ.

I'd like to hear that sn....er leaf blower through a Moonwave sometime, too.

Cheers,
Scott

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi gang,

Here's a trial run of a new song I'm recording. This is my practice version, so I've made no attempt at noise reduction, final mix or tone balance.

Anyway, I thought you all might like to hear what the XR-VCO and the Mankato VCF can do. I use them for the bass part.

Thomas Henry

octavia.mp3
 Description:
"Octavia," (c) 2007 Thomas Henry
practice tracks---mp3 format

Download
 Filename:  octavia.mp3
 Filesize:  4 MB
 Downloaded:  1885 Time(s)

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great bass Thomas. What is that other sound you got going in there? It sounds like poly mod or something. Its nice and grungy. Cool stuff.

pete

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

I wish my finished products sounded that "rough". That is an excellent piece!!

Mankato+XRVCO does indeed make a nice bass combo.

Holy cow!!

Thomas Henry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

23isgood wrote:
What is that other sound you got going in there? It sounds like poly mod or something. Its nice and grungy. Cool stuff.

It's a Soundblaster 16 card running on a 286 computer! (And so is the piano).

Thomas Henry
23isgood

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh man! I thought it was a Prophet 5 or something. I'm impressed a sound blaster could do that sound, wow.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm.....I've got a 286 in my garage with that same exact card....

Unless, of course, my wife hasn't thrown it out, that is.

aerogramma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: pure mankato Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a sample from one of our magsmoke TH 201 - Mankato

it's pure mankato... no external audio mixed in, no reverb, compression, eq.. no nothing!

just the filter resonance being modulated by two CVs in

beautiful

aero

mankato cv resonance.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mankato cv resonance.mp3
 Filesize:  2.22 MB
 Downloaded:  1650 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: pure mankato Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aerogramma wrote:
it's pure mankato...

Pretty wild Cool

aerogramma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

all right moremankato samples... this time is a drum loop going into the mankato and being modulated by the cv input [i plugged a realistic moog into cv1]

at some point in the audio file you'll hear the drum loop 'clean'... what this device can do, especially if not taken as a straight VCF filter, doesn't stop to amaze me

beautiful device... thanks tim and thanks henry!

aero

battered mankato.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  battered mankato.mp3
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Downloaded:  1689 Time(s)

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Post Your Thomas Henry Sound Samples and Compositions Here Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crunchy! Very fun stuff. Smile Was this done with the 6dB out?

Tim (has his crunchy moments) Servo
aerogramma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey tim,
no it was the 24dB out Wink

aero
Page 1 of 2 [31 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: