electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Schulte Compact A Phasing
Page 5 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, that's good! I suppose this means, however, you're probably not getting to the moon.... Very Happy
germaniac

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy to learn you're regaining "balance" and feeling better! Very Happy

Wise man once say, Walk lightly and you'll walk long, so take it slow and easy. . . . Wink

Regards,
Joe
jhaible

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hey Jurgen have you had a chance to find any suitable LDR's yet?
Tom

I'm starting to evaluate suitable LDRs again.

Right now, I have the Perkin Elmer M996011B in my focus.

It looks about right from the data and physical size.
While I'm going to test these some time next week, can anybody check the availibility from mail order shops outside Germany, and the USA in particular? (In Germany, it's available from Schuricht.)

Mind you, this is still completely untested.

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
germaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey JH,

I think Perkin Elmer might be better known in the US as the "Vactrol" line, which is stocked by Allied Electronics. They carry lots of LDRs like these

But I don't find any part number resembling M996011B. Maybe a different part numbering scheme for US and Europe?

Regards,
Joe

[Edit Blue Hell: shortened the link]
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's the one I mean:

http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/content/datasheets/dts_m9960.pdf

http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/Product.aspx?ProductID=M9960+11b

JH.

"I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." (Mk 11,23f)
germaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't look as though the PE flatpack LDRs are very available here--Google only delivers nine results, none of which is a small-quantity supplier in the US. Here's a comparison chart with everything PE makes, but I'm having trouble ( Embarassed ) comparing the dissimilar spec parameters:

http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/content/RelatedLinks/SpecificationSheets/SPC_Photocells.pdf

If the flatpacks turn out to be must-have, probably something more available here with similar on/off ohms, etc. could be found?
jhaible

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

germaniac wrote:
It doesn't look as though the PE flatpack LDRs are very available here--Google only delivers nine results, none of which is a small-quantity supplier in the US. Here's a comparison chart with everything PE makes, but I'm having trouble ( Embarassed ) comparing the dissimilar spec parameters:

http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/content/RelatedLinks/SpecificationSheets/SPC_Photocells.pdf

If the flatpacks turn out to be must-have, probably something more available here with similar on/off ohms, etc. could be found?

Flatpacks are not a must.
What I know by now: The lowest on-resistance you can get is probably right for this application.
So I've been looking for low Z, and things like NORP-12 (or even better, NORP-13) might work, but they are quite expensive and rather bulky. Then I found these flatpacks and their specs seem to be roughly in the right range, and they look so damn similar to the unmarked old surplus LDRs I've used 8 years ago, that I thought I will try these first.
Once I know there work (hopefully), we can simply match specs to find something similar.
As of now (before I've tried these), it's hard to tell, because I have no reference for measuring the light conditions for which LDRs are spec'ed.

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
Tom

While I'm going to test these some time next week, can anybody check the availibility from mail order shops outside Germany, and the USA in particular? (In Germany, it's available from Schuricht.)

JH.

Got my samples today. They look the same, they measure the same. Gotta solder them in and listen, just to be 100% sure.

Then it will all be easy. Either I can match specs with other more available parts, or just try to buy a thousand of them. Or two thousand. Very Happy

JH.

ETA: Bot sure about Bingo. See my next mail.

Last edited by jhaible on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Superb! Cool
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
jhaible

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
jhaible wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
Tom

JH.

Bingo!

Got my samples today. They look the same, they measure the same. Gotta solder them in and listen, just to be 100% sure.

Then it will all be easy. Either I can match specs with other more available parts, or just try to buy a thousand of them. Or two thousand. Very Happy

JH.

Sorry - I was too fast.
The Perkin Elmer M996011B match the LDRs that gave good results on my new version of the CC. But apparently I have used others on th eold one. I just found some photos that hint in that direction. I'll have to dismantle it again to be sure.

Looks like I got tired and should stop working now. Exclamation
Also, they give Ken Russel's "Gothic" on the TV tonight. Must go and watch it, probably for the 4th or 5th time. Awesome film.
See you tomorrow. Laughing

JH.

germaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Also, they give Ken Russel's "Gothic" on the TV tonight. Must go and watch it, probably for the 4th or 5th time. Awesome film.
JH.

Ken Russell's "Lair Of The White Worm" is also lots of fun. Have not seen "Gothic" yet, but will check it out sometime. Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

'Gothic' is a classic! Very Happy

It sounds like you got what I had over the summer- it really does. It goes away eventually but it takes ages. I was initially told it was Glandular Fever- but all the blood tests came back negative. Confused I'm still getting mild dizzyness- especially when I get tired.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

More pictures of the prototype:
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/compact_clone/compact_clone.html

JH.

jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More pictures of the prototype:

http://www.jhaible.heim.at/compact_clone/compact_clone.html

JH.

fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:

that is so damn sexy.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bbob wrote:

that is so damn sexy.

you're telling me! Very Happy

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, the board has that Lauren Bacall look. Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jhaible

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha ha, sexy. Laughing
You have to hide these incandescent lamps inside, of course.

But did I mention there's a 3rd of these on the front panel?

It's in the red socket above the "Modulation" Knob in this picture:
http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/compact_clone1.jpg

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jhaible wrote:
Ha ha, sexy. Laughing
You have to hide these incandescent lamps inside, of course.

Yes it's a shame that there really isn't such a thing as 1-way glass! Crying or Very sad Wink

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the kind of old-school technology that give me grins, relying on natural and varying rise and fall times... Kudos, Juergen!
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
This is the kind of old-school technology that give me grins, relying on natural and varying rise and fall times... Kudos, Juergen!

Well the good thing is that with the incandescent lamps being so slow that they dominate the time constants, I don't have to worry that much about the time constants of the LDRs.

And the lamps, together with the control circuit, absolutely make a difference. I have a phaser setting in my Matrix FX that emulates the structure of the Compact A's audio path (which is quite unique, too), but not the incandescent lamp control, and something is clearly missing.

JH.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JH, I reckon you need to update your avatar with a pic of these bulbs! Very Happy Wink
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So true!
jhaible

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
JH, I reckon you need to update your avatar with a pic of these bulbs! Very Happy Wink

Laughing

I made another demo; wanted to know how the effect sounds on Mellotron strings. Excuse my sloppy playing.

Setup is GMedia MTron -> Roland RE201 -> Compact Clone -> Quantec QRS

The Compact Clone still has the flatpack LDRs which give a too high idle setting of the pole frequencies. This will be cured later, either with larger capacitors, or with a different LDR type.

But I think that typical sweep waveform at th elow frequencies is already there.

JH.

jh_cc_mysterious_tron.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  jh_cc_mysterious_tron.mp3
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Downloaded:  1162 Time(s)

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are about to be single-handedly responsible for a huge amount of new TD-ish space rock! Very Happy Laughing

Sounding great! I can't wait.

You have a Quantec? Shocked
Page 5 of 27 [660 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Jürgen Haible designs
Jump to: