electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Ochestration for piano
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Low Note

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Ochestration for piano
Subject description: lower interval limits
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey-

not an electro question at all, but i'm trying to dig up some information here.

I have my Adler and Kennen Orchestration texts out and I'm looking for "Recommended lower interval limits" for the piano. I can't find anything at all.

At what point is a 3rd too muddy? A 6th? I take it that the perfect intervals can make it a little lower than the Majors, on account of their hollowness?

If you could point me to a page or just have the information, I'd appreciate it either way.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ochestration for piano

Low Note wrote:

At what point is a 3rd too muddy?

Use your ears and judgement Idea

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ochestration for piano

seraph wrote:
Low Note wrote:

At what point is a 3rd too muddy?

Use your ears and judgement Idea

This is good advice! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Low Note

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, for one thing - I don't own a piano! I don't really trust a sampled one to be completely faithful in this area. And the only pianos I have access to are generally out of tune and need a good deal of servicing.

I'm just starting to wonder if its mentioned in any book though - my teacher made it sound like this wouldn't be hard information to seek out at all.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why not check out some notation for songs in the same style? Transcriptions and stuff like that? And then you´ll get some ideas? Is this jazz or what?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nobody made the piano sound as rich and full as Brahms did.
hjh

Keysandslots

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I doubt I'll be able to find my orchestration books but if nobody answers before tonight, I can check on my piano when I get home. I don't have a piano at the office (wonder if I could figure out a way to swing that).

Randy
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Why not check out some notation for songs in the same style? Transcriptions and stuff like that? And then you´ll get some ideas? Is this jazz or what?

Right. There is no way to answer that question without the context of the specific aesthetic objectives.

Low Note

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well its simple block diads at half note = 80ish.

I think the other reason my teacher mentioned it is that we were playing on a pretty nasty upright piano so he couldn't really demonstrate. The real use for orchestration books is that they (should) consider both the optimal and realistic situations one might be writing for. The book's recommendations are based more on what you have immediately right in front of you, which for non-electronic music, is a very real issue for composition.

But I definitely agree with the sentiment. It tends to be my approach as well, but I'm trying to temper it a little!

Any recommendations on Brahms piano music? I'm sorta new to this piano world. I'm much more at home with wind instruments.
dewdrop_world

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Low Note wrote:
Any recommendations on Brahms piano music? I'm sorta new to this piano world. I'm much more at home with wind instruments.

What comes to mind first are the piano accompaniments to the violin sonatas and clarinet sonatas (the latter of which also exist for viola). I don't know the solo piano repertoire as closely (a gap in my knowledge Sad ).

And, whether or not you learn anything about orchestration from them, the piano concerti are absolutely required listening. #1 will be one of my favorite pieces until the day I die.

James

Low Note

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's a really good recommendation, actually, because i need to study more on piano accompaniment. And string writing. I just need the time to spend with a recording and a score.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: