electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Infineon TriCore
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bugfight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Infineon TriCore Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

has anyone looked at these?

http://www.infineon.com/tricore/

"real-time capabilities of microcontrollers, computational power of DSPs, and the price/performance benefits of RISC load-store architectures."

sounds like a great combination for audio...
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
sounds like a great combination for audio

It certainly does. What strikes me also is the amount of I/O. One of the limitations normally associated with MCU's but a trait of FPGA's.

I have not worked with this architecture before and will most likely end up getting on board with the 32-Bit MIPS core MCU from Mircochip.

I would assume many of us would like to "play" with as many of these IC's as we can but one can only learn so many development systems and architectures Very Happy Oh, so little time Wink

Thanks for the post ....... This is good to do this on a new forum as it gives us all a chance to get to know each others preferences.

Bill
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This afternoon, while I was supposed to be working, I read about half of the architecture manual for the Infineon TriCore, ah well it was close enough to working of course Very Happy.

I like the way it deals with interrupts and traps and the way it uses chained data frames. I didn't have a look at actual implementations of the architecture though. Anyway on first sight it appealed more to me than the pic 32 bit mcu or the arm. Thing is though that processor choice depends very much on the available tools (and their cost), which is sort of hard to judge without actually having done anything with it (or in this case: without even having had a look at it Laughing ).

bugfight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
This afternoon, while I was supposed to be working, I read about half of the architecture manual for the Infineon TriCore, ah well it was close enough to working of course Very Happy.

hehe, glad to contribute to any slacking i can.
i'm a programmer so i also think of that as working.
unfortunately i also have too many interests...

Quote:

...sort of hard to judge without actually having done anything with it ...

yeah that's where i am, wanting more than 8bit PIC (and especially because of the EUSART bug and the way microchip handled it), not sure which way i'll go. right now i'm leaning towards the spartan fpga, mainly because of the groundwork already done there, but the tricore looks good
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bugfight wrote:
and especially because of the EUSART bug

It's amazing indeed how long silicon bugs can stay alive in microchip designs and how sad the workarounds sometimes are.

Quote:
right now i'm leaning towards the spartan fpga

According to our hardware man that seems to be no option for us, things have to be low power ... the things we're currently working on that is. We're using PIC 18s now mainly. Yet there will have to be a move to a bigger platform some day, customer demands drive me out of resources ... especially memory, especially RAM, mainly because of larger displays.

I had planned to read a bit more about the TriCore this evening, but the forum turns out to be too interesting Very Happy

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For 8bit, I still ike the AVR over the PIC. I think it's designed a bit better for use with C over having to use a lower level language.

For 32-bit, the ARM7 processors are easy to use, and fairly quick, for a damn fast controller (MIDI, etc), or pretty quick for simple audio generation.

For a pretty bad ass fixed-point processor, I like the Blackfin from analog devices. They are very fast, and well endowed with features like local buffers, single instruction multiple data (stereo?), and large accumulator sizes. And they run over 600MHz, which is just great. They also have linux variants running on them, so one could in theory port some existing applications to the processor.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: