electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
What passive modules can I make???
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: What passive modules can I make??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello Hello it's been awhile I've definately been reading man it's hard to keep up. Other hobbies have me busy right know, but I have been slllooooowwwwllly but surely working on a modular I started in an old speaker cab and it's almost done. I'm looking for some easy, boring, but useful passive modules. I already made a 4 passive attenuator module and I'm getting ready to make a mutiple (any tips for the multiple) how may is too many, whats not enough??? I thought about a few sets of 4?? Anyway what other modules can I make?? I have space for like two more and I'm trying to decide if I should make another cool module or fill it with some passive stuff that I'm overlooking. Pics soon. The backlog is growing.
numbernone

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Being a bananaman I cant say I have any use for mults, however I would say look at Scott Stites' mother of all mults. IT IS WAY COOL.
Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, there are passive multiples and attenuators.
To get buffered multiples I've used this one: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/ControlVoltageDist/ControlVoltageDist.html However, it't not passive. Confused

You could also 'patch out' some switches. Razz

Or make a cool passive ring modulator: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrr.html
modem: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrmodem.html Cool

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's always the simple (but very useful) passive filters from the Moog modular.

MOOG_passive_filters.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.33 KB
 Viewed:  3012 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

MOOG_passive_filters.gif

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet keep em coming. Man I have a Passive RM in my Sound Lab and I just ordered from Mouser I should have ordered some transformers to make another argh. I'll definate have to throw one in there.
GlassX

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JFET Buffers aren't passive, but are just one transistor and one resistor, so you don't need circuit boards.

You can also build passive Min/Max (or Peak/Through) modules with one diode for each input and one resistor, plus a Buffer...

(see http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/mmlogic.html )
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Zeb! Been a while!! Very Happy

Howabout a potential divider between -15v and +15v, with a pot in the middle? Some wild sweeps can be achieved here. This, although really simple can yield some wild sounds when feeding oscillators into ringmods.

-Original idea btw, from my old Korg MS-50. Oh I miss her! Sad

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You folks should be reading this too;

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-26450.html

Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What passive modules can I make??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wild Zebra wrote:
... and I'm getting ready to make a mutiple (any tips for the multiple) how may is too many, whats not enough??? I thought about a few sets of 4??

what i did was to add a switch to link multiples. this way i can choose to have 2x 4 multiples or 1x 8 multiples...

multiples.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.02 KB
 Viewed:  61863 Time(s)

multiples.jpg

Pehr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Idea: Doesn't diode bridges make a passive wave rectifier? Confused
http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: What passive modules can I make??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:

what i did was to add a switch to link multiples. this way i can choose to have 2x 4 multiples or 1x 8 multiples...

I don't recall where I saw it - but if you replace the fourth jack from the top with a switching jack you could eliminate the switch. When you plug into the fourth, it automatically switches in the next four...

bruce
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: What passive modules can I make??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RF wrote:
fonik wrote:

I don't recall where I saw it - but if you replace the fourth jack from the top with a switching jack you could eliminate the switch. When you plug into the fourth, it automatically switches in the next four...

bruce

indeed, but i would not have two independent 4xmultiples. just one 3x and one 4x. matter of taste, i guess.

or what about the other way round? disconnect two 4x multiples as soon as you plug IN the 4th of the 1st multiple? then we had either two independent 4x multiples or one 7x multiple. this would make more sense to me, since i very seldom use the 8x multiple and 7x would be enough for me at least. good idea.

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks everyone, It has been awhile thanks for all the ideas hopefully I'll be done soon and post pics, not much to look at for the amount of time it's been.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guitarfool wrote:
There's always the simple (but very useful) passive filters from the Moog modular.

If a dual-gang pot was to be placed where the 10k resistors are, would an all-pass or bandpass filter be created? Idea

zthee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
..I would say look at Scott Stites' mother of all mults. IT IS WAY COOL.

Where can I find info on the mother of all mults?
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/index.html

<SNIP>

M.O.M. (Mother Of all Mults)

45 connectors in three columns of 15. Every five connectors in each column are conneted together. The fifth connector of each section is normalled to the section below it.

</SNIP>

That's all I see.....
guitarfool

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
guitarfool wrote:

If a dual-gang pot was to be placed where the 10k resistors are, would an all-pass or bandpass filter be created? Idea

You can get a bandpass type filter by using the two in series. I suppose you could use a ganged switch, but it would be more flexible as-is. As for substituting the 2 10k resistors with a dual pot - try it Very Happy
shebb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a ring mod can be made with schottky diodes like bat43, I made one from the ken stone site's schematic with radio shack audio transformers, and it took about 5 minutes! it sounded good tho
doctorvague

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my 'Two Simple Filter'. Parts count: 2. The NSL mp3 uses a NSL-32SR3 and other mp3 is using a VTL5C3. Lacking vactrols you can always use an LED and photocell. You can also put 2 vactrols in series, parallel and of course try different cap values, or use a rotary switch to switch between caps (increases parts count tremendously, though) Laughing
Sorta works like a VCA with no cap at all: Parts Count: 1

I only feed the CV input with positive voltages, like an envelope and haven't blown up a vactrol yet.

Cheers
Phil

Two_Simple_Filter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.4 KB
 Viewed:  61591 Time(s)

Two_Simple_Filter.jpg

Two_Simple_Filter.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Two_Simple_Filter.mp3
 Filesize:  233.47 KB
 Downloaded:  2152 Time(s)

Two_Simple_Filter_NSL.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Two_Simple_Filter_NSL.mp3
 Filesize:  219.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1945 Time(s)

Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet well I just made a simple multiple with 4 rows of 5 each, hope that does the trick for now and I decided to try and put a delay in there. Just so you all know the danelectro Slapback can be modified for full on feedback and delay times and they will run in 12V. Sweet! So I'm going to build a simple true bypass do the mods and slap it in there soon. Then I have a tiny bit more room maybe a ring mod will fit. Then pics will come. Thanks Y'all!!
Tim Servo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: What passive modules can I make??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dr. Vague,

NICE! I think you win the prize for Simplest VCF... EVER! Also, they sound pretty good. You might even try putting two or three different units in parallel. Drive them from the same envelope, and due to the slightly different response times (the NSL sounds a little faster and snappier, while the VTL sounds a bit slower and more "vactrol-like"), you would get an interesting sound. I think. Anyway, thanks for sharing that!

Tim (definitely a bit slower) Servo
doctorvague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: What passive modules can I make??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tim Servo wrote:
Hey Dr. Vague,

NICE! I think you win the prize for Simplest VCF... EVER! Also, they sound pretty good. You might even try putting two or three different units in parallel. Drive them from the same envelope, and due to the slightly different response times (the NSL sounds a little faster and snappier, while the VTL sounds a bit slower and more "vactrol-like"), you would get an interesting sound. I think. Anyway, thanks for sharing that!

Tim (definitely a bit slower) Servo

LOL I challenge anyone to come in with a lower parts count passive VCF! Or should it be "VCF" in quotes? It is a filter and it's technically voltage controlled...
Tim - or anyone -Is there a way to chain these without active buffer stages in between? I was never able to figure out a way. I tried opamp buffers between stages but it didn't sound the same. I do like really passive kinds of filters like this though, and would like to do what you said - somehow figure out how to chain 3 or 4 of them. I have another filter that uses 3 different kinds of vactrols (2 at one time and another one switchable) that takes advantage of different vactrol characteristics, as you touched upon, but that's OT for this thread. Very Happy

Cheers
Phil
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

Awesome!

I wonder if you could introduce feedback into the circuit via a pot (or even a vactrol???)

Very Happy

Very cool. very cool indeed (not even I have an excuse not to build one!)

doctorvague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Laughing

Awesome!

I wonder if you could introduce feedback into the circuit via a pot (or even a vactrol???)

Very Happy

Very cool. very cool indeed (not even I have an excuse not to build one!)

Without some of kind of summing, any attempts to introduce feedback would simply short the input and output, yes-no??

Feedback was always the big challenge on the other 3 vactrol filter I was talking about, too, which was an offshoot of Scott Stites Mutant vactrol which was an offshoot of a Buchla design. Off-shooting reigns supreme...

It kinda goes without saying, but of course you can add a standard 2 transistor convertor CV circuit in front of the CV input which works well and evens out the CV response to something resembling an actual filter, and doesn't affect the audio path.

Of course my electronics knowledge fits neatly into a thimble as you can probably tell! Very Happy

Edit: A good variation of this is to use 2 vactrols, putting the LED's in series and the resistive sides in parallel.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

doctorvague wrote:

Without some of kind of summing, any attempts to introduce feedback would simply short the input and output, yes-no??

yep that would make sense.

A diode in the chain? would that help at all?

I'm trying to balance electronics with architectural visualisation (don't ask Laughing). Perhaps I should be the vague one? Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: