electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
washing machines
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
trash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

errr really...
i really think this is off topic...

duh
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just moved this from How Tos to Schmooze where nothing is OT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Morbid curiosity kept me reading this thread.

Our washing machine is mid-70's (the kind worth repairing until it falls apart utterly rather than replace with a planned obsolescence model - our repair guy has 2 sets of them in his basement - we couldn't have found a more perfect repair guy...) - that lovely harvest yellow or whatever it was called color. It has a fantastic sound - I've recorded it on my minidisc, but never used it anywhere. Maybe I will now... Wink

Neatest sound on the minidisc - somewhat related to the washing machine because I was only two feet away from it at the time is when at about 2 am one morning I heard this bizarre and loud humming coming from somewhere. Got up ... wandered around ... checked the basement - couldn't find it. got my wife up - she couldn't find it either. we finally isolated it to being loudest right at the bottom of the stairs to our basement - which has really nothing there. The sound was huge. I went outside and walked around the house - finally spotting a water main break (a small geyser coming up in the middle of the road) - and went back inside and realized a water pipe coming right off the main going right over head as you go into the basement was the culprit. I popped the minidisc on - placed the binaurals right up next to the pipe - and we went back to bed. Absolutely weird just how loud this was - resonating throughout our house - and didn't sound like water in any way.
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmmm. Strange noises. I come from a rural area, and the first time I heard a sheep burp it just blew me away.
Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Hmmmm. Strange noises. I come from a rural area, and the first time I heard a sheep burp it just blew me away.

Good, isn't it? Even better is the sound of the male deer during the mating season. Their bellows make you jump, even whein they're half a mile away. And the heron; Sounds like a mix of a baby screaming and a cat being tortured.

Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oskar wrote:
Even better is the sound of the male deer during the mating season.

Because you know your mixer isn't far away? Wink

Fixated. Fixated.

Oskar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dovdimus Prime wrote:
Oskar wrote:
Even better is the sound of the male deer during the mating season.

Because you know your mixer isn't far away? Wink

Fixated. Fixated.

You shouldn't be giving a young man such as myself ideas above my station. Be that as it may, I shall have to look into this, preferably from a safe distance - indoors, maybe? This IS, after all, the COUNTRYSIDE.

Shocked

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how to get that washing machine sound

twintub.mp3
 Description:
sound example of G2 patch

Download
 Filename:  twintub.mp3
 Filesize:  653.25 KB
 Downloaded:  1509 Time(s)

Twintub.prf2
 Description:
Hoovermatic Twintub

Download
 Filename:  Twintub.prf2
 Filesize:  12.43 KB
 Downloaded:  1768 Time(s)

Last edited by ian-s on Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
What was special about the Hoovermatic (TM) Twin-Tub, was the final spin down seemed to take forever. An almost continuos downward pitch, much like a 'Shepherd tone'. Did someone mention sheep?

By Jove, Mr Ian, I think you have just unravelled a new conspiracy. Someone somewhere isn't telling us something. We must be told!

Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back to topic, sort of. I still rue the day my Nissan Urvan's engine broke down. Not the fact that I had to consign the trusty old warhorse to the scrapyard ( it was starting to cost me horrible sums of money to maintain, so no real loss there), rather the fact that I didn't have my minidisc ready to record the last twenty seconds of its life. If I had, I could have sold it to some foley artist for a goodly sum. What a sound, that's all I can say. Shocked
Oskar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The moral is, of course: Be prepared! Cool
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That brings up the question about the perfect portable recording rig? So.. minidisc? Is that good enough? DAT is obviously destined for the same fate as the RVPD (rotating vinyl platter decoder). So.. will some of those new solid state recorders do?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm... What is the best portable recording technology... Please start a new topic in How Tos. Thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: