electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Putting Together The Dim-C Clone - AKA LUSH Deluxe
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 5 [112 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
jfromel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is an image of the perfboard that Scott did http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id12.html
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah - Jeff Pontius designed the FPD. I'm thinking he sent me the file, but it's not on this computer I've got right now. I'll look for it this weekend. It's not a 100% match for the Fromel Lush (or is that Lush Fromel? Laughing ) but would be a good starting point, I'd think.

Cheerios,
Scott

numbertalk

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be fantastic. Thanks!

Scott Stites wrote:
Yeah - Jeff Pontius designed the FPD. I'm thinking he sent me the file, but it's not on this computer I've got right now. I'll look for it this weekend. It's not a 100% match for the Fromel Lush (or is that Lush Fromel? Laughing ) but would be a good starting point, I'd think.

Cheerios,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Dim C/TZF panel, as designed by Jeff Pontius.

DimC.fpd
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  DimC.fpd
 Filesize:  1.88 KB
 Downloaded:  373 Time(s)

numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What exactly are switches 103 & 104?

Also, thanks for the file, Scott!
jfromel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SW103 and SW104 switch from variable rate and depth to the preset rate and depth modes in the original DC-2
numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.

So, just to make sure, the differences panel-wise between the FPD file Scott posted and this one would be:

1) No bypass on this one
2) No TZF on this one (by the way, is there a way to mod this one for that? EDIT- just looked more closely at Scott's page - looks like no easy way to mod this without adding an extra circuit board)
3) The "Select" switch on Scott's is between LFO & Mode - not quite the same for this one, is it? This one allows the LFO or CV modulation along with the preset modes, right? So this switch would be between LFO & CV for this one.
4) No CV "Delay" switch on this one (what is the "delay" switch on Scott's, by the way - does it just delay the onset of CV modulation)?
5) This one has a Mono/Stereo Switch
6) This one has 2 switches between variable and preset rate depth and rate for the LFO (or do these 2 really take the place of Scott's "Select" switch and then there's an extra LFO/CV toggle switch?)

Does that cover the differences as far as the panel goes (assuming you use a single switch for 101 & 102/LFO Range)?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "delay" switch on the Dim C/TZF actually controls how the delay sections are modulated. Up position is normal (anti-phase modulation). The middle position modulates one delay and allows the pot to set the static position of the other delay. The down position allows the two delays be set static, with their relative positions set by the pot - it's a sort of delay-based tone control, more or less. Modulating one delay while selecting different relative positions of the other allows for different through zero effects throughout the sweep of the LFO (or external CV).

The TZF output was opportunistic - it just taps off the outputs of the two delay signals as they leave the expander, but before cross-mix and de-emphasis. It's quite possible that resistively mixing those two signals would render pretty much the same effect. Note that, because this signal is pre-emphasized, it ranges towards the treble side of things. At the time, I thought it a more noticeable TZF effect than de-emphasizing the signal. Slowing down the LFO in Mode 2 renders a fairly similar, though less pronounced effect.

Cheers,
Scott

numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott,

So when you say resistively mixing those 2 signals, you mean if you just took the signal straight from the 2 15K resistors with no NE5532 (though I'm guessing you'd still want the 1uf non-elec output cap & 1K resistor)?

Thanks.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Phew, I'd have to think about it a while - it's been a few years. You may figure it out from this thread on Aron's Stompbox Forum - there's some good idea from Mike Irwin (who actually found the tap point):

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/forums.html?topic=27171.0

It pretty much covers the genesis of my project.

The TZF is nice, but I rarely use it, so if yours doesn't have it, nothing major. If I were to build another, I'd just stick to the Dim C/Lush stuff. I think I even told John as much when he was germinating this project.

Lowered speed of the LFO, external CV are the two main non-stock Dimension C functions I use the most. Mostly, I just use the original modes - those Boss/Roland engineers had it going on.

Cheers,
Scott

numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to know - thank you.

I might like to implement your bypass, though. It will switch on a signal from a momentary NO switch, right?
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, N.O. switch. But wouldn't you have to put in all the FET's and stuff?
numbertalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I was going to try adding that bypass circuit to a little veroboard that I would include in the case. Haven't looked quite closely enough yet to see if that will be doable - that is if it will be easy enough to patch that to where it would need to connect to the Lush board, but just a thought as I'm starting to build and plan this.

EDIT - Ok, duh, I see what you mean - the fets at the outputs and the inputs of the circuit. Oh well.
numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi John,

Just want to verify a couple power supply questions:

Even if using a 9VDC from a wall wart (i.e. not MOTM power), we do need the voltage regulator - the 78L06 - correct?

Also you mention among the changes if using MOTM power to change C1 to 100uf and C3 to 47uf, but in the schematic without MOTM power these components have these same values already, just different voltage ratings. Are these uf values correct for both and is it still ok to use 16V for C1 & 6V for C3 if using a wall wart?

Thanks.
jfromel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You will always need the voltage regulator, it is for the BBD's and LFO. Yes the changes in C1 and C3 are voltage rating only, stock value is fine for a wall wart.
numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks.
numbertalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, Scott, just out of curiosity, which specific parts #s did you use for the bypass fets and diodes in your Dim-C?
urbanscallywag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't even notice the Mouser part number list until today. Nice work. Shocked
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
By the way, Scott, just out of curiosity, which specific parts #s did you use for the bypass fets and diodes in your Dim-C?

Sorry, I missed this. I used the same FETs as the original (SK30) and IN4148 diodes.

Cheerios,
Scott

numbertalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No problem. Where did you get the SK30s? They're out of production, right? What would be a suitable substitute if I were to try to incorporate into this project - would it need to match the same Vgs off? Would 2N5485, 2N5484 or 2N5292 work?

Thanks!

Scott Stites wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, I missed this. I used the same FETs as the original (SK30) and IN4148 diodes.

Cheerios,
Scott
whomper

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am having trouble sourcing the 4 pieces of 1N4372.
What other suitable replacements can I use instead?

Home Page: http://www.yaary.com
Buy my CDs at http://www.mellowjet.de
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got some extra 4372A if nothing standard will suffice as replacement. PM me if so..

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4372A is a 3V zener, right? A 1N5225 would work just as well, if you can find that (3V, 0.5W, 5%).

Quote:
Where did you get the SK30s?

I am so racking my brain to remember - dang, I just can't pull it out of the noggin. This was a cool place - they had nearly every semi of the original Dim C (except that bypass flipflop of the original). Now I can't think of what this place was called - I'll have to go back through my old computer and see if I can pull it up.

As far as the other FETs - not really sure....

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

2SK30s are all over eBay...

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
numbertalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks - will check ebay.

Scott, if you remember that place please do post - sounds interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 5 [112 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: