electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Hot Damn, My first SK-1 came in the mail!
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Hot Damn, My first SK-1 came in the mail! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice!

Sounds awesome right out of the packaging. Been bending for years and have never even seen an sk-1 in person so i had to break the bank and get one on ebay.

I cant wait to bend it. I'm going to the hardware shop tomarrow and am going to have the cool old dude there saw me up some wood so i can build myself a cool case to put it into. I want this one totally modular style.

I cant wait! I promise to provide pictures and info on the progress of the project as it goes along!
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! I've got one of those too. Haven't used it much lately but always thought it would be great to work out some sort of non-trivial hookup between it and my modular gear. I hope you'll post the results of your experiments!
stolenfat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you want, i'll buy it off you heh heh
'
stolenfat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

any tips or ideas on adding a sequencer to my sk-1? I was thinking of a blinking light circuit with relays to open close switches... but that might get kinda messy. better ideas?
stolenfat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alright, today i started working on my modular style case for my sk-1 bend. its about 75% done i think. I got some old guy with a power saw to cut some wood for me, and he didnt do that great of a job, and ended up charging me like 60 bucks for all the materials, which i thought was a bit much but my circuit bending hobby has never been cheep.

heres a picture of day one, i still need to do a panel and the top, and then some sort of hole for the batteries. Plus some sanding.

modcase1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.92 KB
 Viewed:  557 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

modcase1.JPG

Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can find some data about my modifications of the SK-1 here
stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well finally started soldering the thing up today, will prolly throw down a coat of paint tomarrow or tonight.
stolenfat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

got a paint job done, first layer at least. After a bunch of tones attempts (red, black, green...) I went with brown. Kinda boring but, we'll see what the 2nd layer of paint will bring me tomarrow.

Also waiting on parts from jameco before i start drilling

IMG_5099.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  377.58 KB
 Viewed:  521 Time(s)

IMG_5099.JPG

gmeredith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
any tips or ideas on adding a sequencer to my sk-1?

The best, most powerful way is to add a MIDI IN kit circuit to your SK:

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/skm/

$40 is all it costs, takes 3 or 4 hours to make and is totally reliable. My MIDI'd SK8 sounds amazing! Just use an external MIDI sequencer or drum machine to sequence the notes, or a computer with a sequencer program.

It also gives you program change control of the sounds.

Cheers, graham

sk8 back panel.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.07 KB
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)

sk8 back panel.JPG

stolenfat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well production on this unit has been paused for about a week because ive been having a terrible time with ups getting a package i ordered from jameco. when i finally get the components i need, i'll do some more work and get some pictures up.
stolenfat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alrighty an update!

So heres a picture of the layout of the controls so far... patch bay on the right, switch bay on the left.
Patch bay is pretty standard for sk-1s, some other points in there buy mostly just connected to the fat 3 chips.

Switch bay is nifty, pretty standard.

3 red buttons below the switches are loopers, and effect loop time. All three can be used at once

The knobs right next to it are pitch and then a trem->rez->distortion knob

Then heres the cool part, i built up a 555 noise circuit and implimented it into the bend. It doesnt do more than feed noise into the circuit board, but it trips it out. Tweak knob, starve, and level. a switch to control whether the 555 is fed into the board or right to the speaker, which kinda causes a strange mixing effect with the normal out put, pretty cool.
+ LED. Then theres a patch point which is connected to the control voltage input of the 555 (pin 3 i think) which can be used with all the other points.

Rest of the space will be dedicated to what ever else i think up. I want to include an LED blink circuit to run a vactrol but experimenting with it last night didnt really bring much success. The home brewed vactrol works fine, but it seems to just not be in the right range of resistance to be usefull. Going to experiment with replacing the led with a Relay instead.

So far, so good, sounds Awesome!!

Oh, and as much as i regret it, everything thing was eye balled, so drill holes are not lined up at all, hilariously slick

IMG_5119.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  391.71 KB
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.57 KB
 Viewed:  382 Time(s)

IMG_5120.JPG

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More work has been done, added a few more pots for the 555 noise chip described above which connect directly to the board and do funky shit. Originally the 555 noise circuit used to trip out the sk-1 alot more but now doesnt seem to, perhaps this is an effect of low batteries. It still sounds really cool though. Before it would really mess with the built in patterns, not so much now.

Also, i'm working on a relay circuit with another 555 which turns on/off a patch connection as a various rate depending on the pot. You can see it in the upper middle of the panel. The led was supposed to indicate the open/close rate but now i cant get it to work any more. I'm using a 500mA reed relay (from radio shack) which works well when theres lots of battery power but seems to not work after a few mins when the batteries drain some. Considering trying a 4066 quad switch chip or solid state relay instead, but just dont have any right now. Also considering running the relay circuit off an independent 9volt battery to help with power consumption. I probably should have used one of them TL555 or what ever that uses less power, but i didnt (just a regular LM555)
Still in the works, but we'll see where it goes.

progress.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.21 KB
 Viewed:  334 Time(s)

progress.JPG

Last edited by stolenfat on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heres a picture of the relay circuit

Also, audio quality sounds great through my little roland microcube amp (100$ish great buy i highly suggest one) but when run through my recording set up sounds very distorted on the treble end. Wondering if this is a just an effect of the sk-1 not ran through the speaker cause the amp does some natural equalizing.

Also theres a high pitched quiet squeal through the line out which can be effected by the pitch bend that i cant get rid off. All my extra bends can be turned off so i dont think its a connection i made some where and am wondering if you sk-1 knowledgeable people out there might be having the same experience. Should i have grounded all my patch bay jacks or something?

IMG_5121.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.87 KB
 Viewed:  18274 Time(s)

IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.25 KB
 Viewed:  18275 Time(s)

IMG_5122.JPG

stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh also, I added a hard on/off switch which disconnects the batterys and a soft reset button connected to some solder points on the board. There mounted on the actual sk-1 as you can see in the picture above.

And heres a test recording i did. Not very happy with this jam, i've had much better cooler jams, but what ever. you can hear the 555 circuit interfering with the sk-1 and most of the knobs played with. Very little switching and patching here. heavy looping though.

Plus, you can here that high trebly whine i was talking about...

test.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  test.mp3
 Filesize:  8.44 MB
 Downloaded:  1131 Time(s)

stolenfat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heres a jam i'm very happy with that i recorded when my girl friend was in the shower. just some small peak deamplification in poHeres a jam i'm very happy with that i recorded when my girl friend was in the shower. just some small peak deamplification in post.
Use of internal 555 noise circuit, filtering, looping, switches, and lots of distortion.

heres a link:

http://circuitgrizzly.awardspace.com/noise/bends/sk1jam.mp3
Tasmanian Alkaloid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work! It's inspired me to have another think about modifying my own stock sk-1. To date, i have been reluctant to attempt anything because i would hate to break it.
They are such a great instrument- although the looping function is pretty archaic, one can really transform sounds in the lower notes.
How did you go about implementing THREE loop functions?
stolenfat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

used reed g's info on the bend points to find the first loop connection. the other two are other points that i found which loop as well.
They all loop just like each other except at different speeds, and when used in conjunction they change to even more speeds, or different loop times how ever you want to say it. I agree its a little much to include 3 loop switches, but i did it any way. Tonight im going to try and build up a rezy low pass filter schemmy i found and include it too.
Damn, the batteries on my sk-1 and going to dry up so fast, but im crazy!!
stolenfat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, work on this has been slow... i wave building up a low pass filter for it but didnt have all the parts i needed. Upon getting the parts, building the filter, it sucked. Sounded awful.
So now im building up the WSG filter to use with it, hopefully things will turn out splendid. Heres a picture of the progress so far.

Added the LFO bend connectors (w/ off/on switch) and the usual patch to pot bends. Plus a switch that connects the line out or the internal speaker.

IMG_5133.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  670.04 KB
 Viewed:  319 Time(s)

IMG_5133.JPG

stolenfat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxR4sv-_6bs

new you tube video demo
not that great, but an update to the project
noisedeputy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but still fun.
Tasmanian Alkaloid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! That's great work! How does the patchbay work? Have you wired the inputs up to random points on the circuit?
stolenfat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The patch bay works just like you think- just a huge switching matrix with access to hundreds of different connection through the use of rca jacks

Alot of the patch bay connections are hooked right up to the main 3 chips on the board. like on this page:
http://www.casperelectronics.com/sk1-patchbay/

But, there are plenty other connections that i randomly found on the board.

Im about to change the battery supply from 7.5 volts to 9 volts- hopefully it will go well
stolenfat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is probably against bender's code, but .. jeeze this project has become much more of a task than i could endure.... I am no wood worker.

The project is finished. It works fine, sounds awesome, but the wood and construction is in need of some fine tuning. Would any body out there care to finish it up?

I'd let it go for 200$ + shipping, thats not even covering parts.

It just taking up to much of my work bench...

all it needs is some clever reinforcement. Some way, that i dont know, that you could brace the control panel so it's not so insecure feeling.

Thats all it would take and you'd have the most monsterious circuit bending project i've ever endured.
Its a glorious machine. truely glorious.
Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: