electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
The Liquid Hihat - NEW VIDEO-Dec.1508
Page 4 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Ryk and Dave,
I'm in the process of wiring up my LHH, and I've noticed that there are pads for pots on the board which lead no-where. They don't need to be connected, as the pots in question only have two connections, so why the third pad? I think we should get rid of them for a production run.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
Hey Ryk and Dave,
I'm in the process of wiring up my LHH, and I've noticed that there are pads for pots on the board which lead no-where. They don't need to be connected, as the pots in question only have two connections, so why the third pad? I think we should get rid of them for a production run.

That is actually, a very good point! I knew the wiring for the pots and connected right away to the correct pads, whilst ASSUMING that the other pads went off to Ground (which was an incorrect assumption as well), there by ignoring them.
Thanks for checking into them, Unc! And yes, they should be removed. They may confuse, some.

Related side note: I received 2 Practice Drums for Christmas and will be building my first actual drum controllers tomorrow! Very Happy New videos are soon to follow. Once I've come back to speed in playing actual drum objects (having wired the practice pads up, as controllers) I'll be buying enough pads to build myself a kit. Smile (I've had a Slingerland bass drum pedal waiting to be used, for a few years now. FINALLY. Very Happy )
Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, I'm in the process of wiring mine up also.
I use amp headers and IDCs for hooking up all the panel mounted components, so I always use 3 pin for pots and 2 pin for jacks, regardless of whether you need all the connections, it also helps to see which are jacks and which are pots, and also the direction (CCW-W-CW)
I guess we should look into doing up some documentation for it, I can put together a .pdf with the component layout, Andy's schematic, some assembly instructions and a short test and tutorial (I guess that's your department Ryk)

On a side note, I sent the boards out for another test run, to verify the hole sizes, I also rearranged a few components to make more room, deleted a couple of redundant traces, and fixed the trace on CV3, so hopefully, everything should be ok, they should be here by the end of January.
neandrewthal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, here come some dumb questions. Does it really need 8 tuning knobs? I'm a little cramped for space and would like to get rid of some.

What is this drum trigger circuit you speak of? I can't find it. I'm thinking of adding 2 of these with their own own triggers, one for closed hat and one for open. I absolutely must have some kind of evelope and VCA on the same panel, as it is going in a self-contained drum synth in a corner of my modular. Having to interface it with envelopes and VCAs on the other side just to make a hi-hat sound would totally kill the flow of things.

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually see it as a tunable noise source rather than a hi-hat (even though I kept the name on mine for posterity Very Happy )
That's why I don't want any ENV or VCA incorporated. I'm initially going to patch it as an improved noise source on the MPS.

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, god. I am trying to slim this thing down, and you want to add it to the already hulking MPS behemoth Laughing

Then what do you do for hi-hats? I just want a no-frills closed-hat, open-hat machine. And the reason I need it to be so compact is because the damn MPS is taking up all my space Razz

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I want hi-hats I do them in the DAW.
I'm hanging this off the MPS, which is hanging off the Klee. My analogue setup is more of a specialized noodle machine, come solo instrument. I'm adding modules really to modify what will be more of a one patch freak pony than a way of generating a complete analogue ensemble.
You know what I mean? Very Happy

Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with Uncle Krunkus on this, I also consider this more of a tunable noise source and I don't want a VCA and EG on this, like I've mentioned before, once you start adding everything to a module, you kinda defeat the purpose of having a MODULAR synth, if you just want an open/closed hihat module, look at the Analog Solutions Concussor modules, The HH88 is a dual Hihat module, might be just what your looking for.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll be starting the write up for the Liquid HiHat very soon now. One portion of it that I'd recently realized that I wished to make clear to other users of it:

- not ALL of the Frequencies controls are needed

Each of them is an option. The 4 clocks that they are controlling the speeds of, may be set to 1 frequency with whichever value of resistor is preferred. Ken Stone has (a) certain value(s) listed for his Cynare drum simulator. They (those) could be chosen (from) if the user is not wishing to go with every Frequency control.

Also - each of the CD4046's (VC Clock) in the LHH has a Frequency control. These 2 along with their Frequency Range controls I would leave, at least. In this case, you would still have up to two CV Inputs for each of the VC Clocks. That would still give you 6 options for setting the LHH frequencies if you chose not to use the first 4 frequency controls.

I myself, far prefer to have as much control as I'm able to over my modules and will be sticking with the:

- 2 x Frequency Range
- 2 x VC Clock Frequency
- 4 x Frequency
- 4 x CV Amount
- 4 x CV Input

on my V1.00 units. Smile

(Once I've done a full test configuration / small manual for the unit, shall I post it up here, for everyone.)
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I forgot about the other postings above. Embarassed

For the V1.00 LHH I myself am sticking with the LHH itself being nothing more than, what it is, as I am building more of Ray Wilson's Drum Triggers. The new ones will be having multiple Decay controls so that I can feed them to VCF's and VCA's for the LHH.

As far as the drum trigger goes, Ray's is at this addy:

I was JUST going to post the addy for it but it's come up as 404 - Not Found. Any other accesses to Ray's web page are also taking a hugely long time.

I chopped off the drum trigger extension, getting into the directory where it used to be and it's not listed there any more. scratch

Does anyone else know of where on Ray's site that it might be? I wishn't to post it here without Ray's permission. Surprised

I'm having a great deal of difficulty in delays right now even in getting into Ray's MAIN web page. Sad

If anyone else can find the Drum Trigger circuit there, would you please let me know?

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/
julianw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard wrote:

I chopped off the drum trigger extension, getting into the directory where it used to be and it's not listed there any more. scratch

Does anyone else know of where on Ray's site that it might be? I wishn't to post it here without Ray's permission. Surprised

I'm having a great deal of difficulty in delays right now even in getting into Ray's MAIN web page. Sad

If anyone else can find the Drum Trigger circuit there, would you please let me know?

I had a look at archive.org and have included the schemo and web page as a pdf here.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071029161833/http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/drum_trigger.html

drum_trigger_schem.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  drum_trigger_schem.pdf
 Filesize:  18.28 KB
 Downloaded:  531 Time(s)

drum_trigger.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  drum_trigger.pdf
 Filesize:  36.04 KB
 Downloaded:  477 Time(s)

Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well here it is guys Very Happy it turned out pretty good, except for the fact that I didn't notice one column was a tad higher than the others (I fixed it on the template)
The Panel is by Front Panel Express, they are a bit pricey but not to bad for Frac sized modules, but when I priced out MOTM sized modules FORGET IT!
I'll have to work on getting some better pictures some day.

LiquidHH.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.91 KB
 Viewed:  16502 Time(s)

LiquidHH.jpg

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great to me! Very Happy
Don't worry about the high column. I do my best to make everything spot on, but I like to keep in mind that imperfections will always weasel their way into the final product. That's what makes it DIY! and fun. If there were no stuff ups, it would be made in a factory in China somewhere, and would suffer from chronic build quality issues. I know which I'd prefer. Wink
As for mine, it's half wired, and if I manage to get some time away from all these pesky family and friends wanting to do Christmas type stuff and eat and drink beer and all that, it should be whistling away in a couple of days.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! Shocked It's wild to see someone having built a module that I coughed up!! Where's the samples?? Laughing

Who cares about the high column? Like Uncle Krukus said - it's part of DIY! Smile

It looks great though! Come on Unc. Get yours fin. and a pic posted as well! Very Happy

Subject change: if all goes well, there'll be a new video, of a NEW innovated module, posted on my site within a couple of days. I just finished cooking 2 boards for it and shall be wiring and panel building, over the next couple of days. More data on it will be posted in the Layout Factory. Wink
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys, I know that the raised column is not a big deal, IT JUST BUGS ME! Evil or Very Mad
Sorry Ryk, no sound samples, I don't have the studio hooked up to my computer any more, and my laptop is in the basement running the pic programming software, besides, remember that I'm on dialup out here and it takes forever to upload audio and video, maybe next year when we get cable out here.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dragon's Lair wrote:
Thanks guys, I know that the raised column is not a big deal, IT JUST BUGS ME! Evil or Very Mad
Sorry Ryk, no sound samples, I don't have the studio hooked up to my computer any more, and my laptop is in the basement running the pic programming software, besides, remember that I'm on dialup out here and it takes forever to upload audio and video, maybe next year when we get cable out here.

Oh bugger, that's right. Me ol' timer'ness and my short memory or'd've remembered that you're on dialup. Sad

Well then - post any thoughts you have of your own unit once she's up'n' runnin'. Smile
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The power connector is a bit too close to the filter caps. Even with tiny ones, the 3.96mm pitch 4-way tries to push the caps over when you connect the plug.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had 1 wiring error on my CVs, and my Range Pots are backward, but I'm up and running. Cool
Here's a quick sample with the CVs coming in from the Klee.
It's kind of like Ring-Mod on top of noise. I'm very keen to check out replacing the noise source on the MPS (or mixing it in, and back again)
I used monolithic caps all round except for the Schmitt Oscillators which are greencaps. There's about 100mV of noise on the cap side of the 22Rs, and virtually nothing (<2mV) on the power input side. That's good for such a digitally noisy circuit. Very Happy
Oh,.. and I used a CD4030, as I didn't have a CD4070.
I'll take a photo tomorrow.
Very happy. Very Happy

LHH 2-Jan-08.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LHH 2-Jan-08.mp3
 Filesize:  125.71 KB
 Downloaded:  1518 Time(s)

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent to hear, Uncle Krunkus!! Very Happy More more! With multiple CV's activating! As a hihat; as a cymbal; as a snare; as an egg being broken in a metal sink ...... Wink

(I have a distant hope of finishing 1 of my 2 x Triple Drum Triggers, today. If I have enough time to, I'll hook 1 up to my beta LHH to shoot a video of it, being played from my electronic Remo practice pad. That'd give another example of possibilities from it. Smile
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice example Uncle!
Dego

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Twisted sample! Twisted Evil Even more anxious now. Smile Great work guys!
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I managed to get a sample of my Liquid Hi Hat recorded into my laptop.
This is just the LiquidHH being modulated by my VC-Clock and XR-LFO modules. I had to run the output of the LiquidHH through a preamp pedal, to get the levels up high enough to record.
I don't have video capabilities at the moment, but here's a pic of the setup.
This sample is meant to demonstrate that the module is capable of sounds other than hi hats, Ryk did a fine job demonstrating those in his videos.

LiquidHH-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.34 KB
 Viewed:  338 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

LiquidHH-2.jpg

LiquidHH.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  LiquidHH.mp3
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Downloaded:  551 Time(s)

Last edited by Dragon's Lair on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dragon's Lair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The second batch of prototypes are in, so far everything looks good, the resistor holes are still a bit small, my 1% resistors fit fine, but the 5% don't, so I made the drill 1 size larger, so they should be fine for the next batch, same thing with the MOTM connector, it's fine if you use the headers with round pins, but the square pins don't fit, so I upped it also, that one was my fault, I measured the pins on the flats, when I should have measured on the diagonal.
I'll try to get one assembled this week, just to make sure there are no other errors.

Last edited by Dragon's Lair on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dragon's Lair wrote:
Well I managed to get a sample of my Liquid Hi Hat recorded into my laptop.
This is just the LiquidHH being modulated by my VC-Clock and XR-LFO modules. I had to run the output of the LiquidHH through a preamp pedal, to get the levels up high enough to record.
I don't have video capabilities at the moment, but here's a pic of the setup...

PIGNOSE!!! +1!!!

b

ach_gott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would be interested in 3 boards.
Page 4 of 5 [116 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » The layout factory
Jump to: