electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Anti-religious electro?
Page 1 of 41 [1002 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
koukiAE86

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Anti-religious electro? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well first of all there was a electro song i heard a while back that had the voice of pat robertson in the intro saying something like "And god... god alone can save you" or something like that then later on it was like "praise him, praise him, praise him" I was wondering if anyone has any idea what this artist is cause i really liked it..

But anyways are there any other atheist artists?

ps: I'm not atheist but i find the lyrics interesting especially when it has a good beat to it hahaa
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-religious electro? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

koukiAE86 wrote:

Oh! I'm sure there are none!

Last edited by bachus on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-religious electro? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
Oh! I'm sure there are none!

Oh oh Shocked the "imaginary friend" gene is not really well expressed in me ... Rolling Eyes

bachus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You referring to this ?
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
You referring to this ?

Quote:
"Children the world over have a strong natural receptivity to believing in gods because of the way their minds work, and this early developing receptivity continues to anchor our intuitive thinking throughout life," says anthropologist Justin Barrett of the University of Oxford.

I don't know about that. I remember when our daughter was about six.

"I don't believe in God. I believe in space."

As a Buddhist leaning folkie myself, I thought that was a pretty good perspective.

bachus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Children the world over have a strong natural receptivity to believing in gods because of the way their minds work,..."

Fortunately "strong" is not the same as "universal"-- besides you were obviously a bad influence Wink

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... like on the n-th day man created god and he saw that it was good ...

The article you pointed to puts this in a broader perspective, it was interesting to read.

saul2600

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-religious electro? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

koukiAE86 wrote:

Well, Front 242 had a track from 1988 called Welcome To Paradise. The original sounds a bit dated, and it's not the track you were interested in, but it's a "classic". They've lambasted religion in other ways as well, but being Atheistic is not necessarily their identifying characteristic. There are plenty more examples, i'm just not coming up with any names right now... I know i couldn't resist the urge to sample dialog from the hateful righteous idiots (which is to say: televangelists) when i first bought a shiny new Emax in '89... i'm sure lots of other people found the same.

Quote:
ps: I'm not atheist but i find the lyrics interesting especially when it has a good beat to it hahaa

It's okay if you are. Note: i didn't say it isn't okay if you aren't an atheist. Didn't actually say it Wink
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I signed a petition on facebook to move Vatican City to Greenland. how about that Question Twisted Evil

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
I signed a petition on facebook to move Vatican City to Greenland. how about that Question Twisted Evil

Wonder how hapy the Greenlanders would be with that ... they're in the process of liberating themselves from the Danes currently ... it would be odd to drop a pope there now ... and why does this pope need a country I wonder, the other popes don't.

Octahedra

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think my skepticism about religion has affected my music at all so far...

Somehow one of my current projects has come to include mangled quotations of religious choral music from the likes of Perotin and Ockeghem - some of which is 800 years old. Without the words of course. Taking ye olde counterpoint (mostly horizontal harmony) and panel-beating it into chord sequences (mostly vertical harmony), then creating morphs between the various different composers' contributions. Not that I'm normally this post-modern or anything... Embarassed For this track I'm really after the sound of a certain kind of harmony, and the fun of throwing spanners in the works, rather than arguing for or against what those original composers had in mind.

See also, Mille Regrets (After Josquin) by Galen H Brown (I have no idea what Brown thinks of Josquin's original religious motives but pretty keen on the music)...

Edit: See also also: Aurora by Ian Boddy - based on Palestrina

Gordon

Last edited by Octahedra on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
BananaPlug

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
...mangled quotations of religious choral music...

A friend attended Catholic school as a child and remembers singing a song about "Gladly the cross-eyed bear." Funny name for a bear.
x_x

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think it shouldn't matter if the music is atheist, christian or whatever. It's stupid.

I'm a recursive agnostic (don't believe in God).
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gsanchez wrote:
recursive agnostic

Laughing

here are some more ... like :

Quote:
Amnesiac agnostic: I have found the most marvelous proof of the existence of God, but ... what was I saying?

No it shouldn't matter really ...

x_x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
gsanchez wrote:
recursive agnostic

Laughing

here are some more ... like :

Quote:
Amnesiac agnostic: I have found the most marvelous proof of the existence of God, but ... what was I saying?

No it shouldn't matter really ...

Laughing

I like this ones too:

Quote:
# Godelian agnostic: The statement "God exists" may be true but unprovable.
# Nietzschian agnostic: God might be dead.

Laughing
andrewF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hypocritical atheist?
or even more uncertain
hypocritical agnostic?
x_x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
hypocritical atheist?
or even more uncertain
hypocritical agnostic?

how about hypocritical agnostic atheist?

Laughing
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
seraph wrote:

Wonder how hapy the Greenlanders would be with that ... they're in the process of liberating themselves from the Danes currently ... it would be odd to drop a pope there now ... and why does this pope need a country I wonder, the other popes don't.

But... Shocked

Why not Iceland.. they need some kind of new business anyway and the pope could marry Bjørk and ..... Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:

You guys need that property for parking space or something? Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
seraph wrote:

You guys need that property for parking space or something? Shocked

what about a lake? Vatican lake, for example (there are already too many "pope lakes" around)

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Octahedra

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
# Godelian agnostic: The statement "God exists" may be true but unprovable.
# Nietzschian agnostic: God might be dead.

Ignostic: can't ever decide whether god exists
Spagnostic: not sure whether the flying spaghetti monster exists
Blagnostic: won't deny the existence of god, just in case he's really out there somewhere
Fnordnostic: doesn't give a monkeys about god but still scared of satan / evil spirits / whatever...

Gordon
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Octahedra wrote:

Blagnostic: won't deny the existence of god, just in case he's really out there somewhere

Nice to finally have a shorthand for "believer in Pascal's Wager".

/Stefan

meloditech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject:  Re: Anti religous electro
Subject description: Religion
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is for all those Christian members who are surprised
over what they've been reading here in this electronic music forum.
For those that thought this place was somehow free of people who think like the posts above.
There will always be folks denying the existance of God or his soveriegnity or the fact that he sent his Son to die on the cross for our sins.
I leave those folks to Him, pray for them daily and continue to play keyboard and guitar alongside believers and non-believers because-guess
what-we all answer for ourselves in the end. Ive never believed in shoving the word of God down anyone's throat and by the same token have personally rejected the musings of those who would breadboard Him into triviality or a 'childs fairytale".
Several have been abused or the victims of blatent hipocrasy that have turned them against the very concept of God.
It is those that He came for foremost and it is those that will find Him if they seek him.

John 3:16
cbm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anti religous electro
Subject description: Religion
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

meloditech wrote:
This is for all those Christian members who are surprised
over what they've been reading here in this electronic music forum.
For those that thought this place was somehow free of people who think like the posts above.

Why would you, or the "they" you are addressing, expect that this place would be particularly Christian? Do you somehow think that the posts above are dangerous, or something?

meloditech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti religious Electro Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I was first told of the forum I was excited at the prospect of meeting online enthusiasts of the art as well as folks exploring circuitry for same and meeting on the common field of music and electronics.
Then I trip over this posting in the middle of that field. THe Vatican a parking lot? Propose a similar public infrastructure improvement like that for Mecca or the whole of TIbet and you'd be risking a jihad. Look...I guess I was both dissapointed and niave about the nature of forums in general. Ive usually used engineering forums without this sort of side bar popping up. As far as your question of the comments being dangerous,I find them more dissapointing than anything.As far as me thinking this was a christian forum;no I wasnt that naive. It was simply disappointing to see administrators as well as members engaging
in this sort of banter. THen again this is not my forum to play school marm. I simply expressed my view on this whole thread and wanted to include others who might feel as I do. Since the forum is rather wide in topic range I will from now on simply treat it as a transistor radio and tune away from what I find offensive and tune in to what I like. It was just a bit of a shock factor reading the kind of anti-catholic commentary in this thread in a forum of this calibre;thats all.I had based my joining on the comeradre I experienced first hand at electro-music and treasured relationships with a handfull of its members. Now that Ive looked under the hood I know to keep my hands away from the exhaust manifold after the engine's been running awhile.Peace.

John 3:16
Page 1 of 41 [1002 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: