electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Audio Simulation/DreamStation
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ComposerTed

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Audio Simulation/DreamStation
Subject description: A couple of free soft synths
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could not find any reference to the company Audio Simulation here, so I added it to the "Music Software" links section. They have a stand-alone synth/workstation called DreamStation 1.0 and a related DirectX compatible synth plugin called DreamStation DXi2, both of which are available for free from their website (as well their new DS II workstation, which they are selling).

Some Sonar users may be familiar with DreamStation DXi2, as Cakewalk was providing it free with some of their earlier versions thereof. (That was my first exposure to it). It comes with a fair number of presets (a lot of bass/organ/buzzy/techy sounds), so novices can get started right away, but the real fun is in turning all of the virtual knobs (3 oscillators, filters, etc.) yourself Smile

DreamStation 1.0 is basically the same thing except (1) It's stand-alone rather than DirectX compatible (2) In addition to having the same standard waveforms that DXi2 has (sine, triangle, sawtooth, pulse/square, noise), it allows importing PCM wave files, which of course opens up all sorts of possibilities. (3) It also has some built-in effects processors.

DS1 allows either saving your songs in Dreamstation's DSS format or exporting the audio for further use elsewhere. One caveat about the PCM waveform import is that it rejects some variations as invalid format (Wave files exported from my version of Sonar, for example). If that happens, I just import/export the offending file though some other program like Quicktime and then they work fine.

GaryRea

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Acoustica Mixcraft, which costs about $10 less and is far more flexible, IMHO. Mixcraft has the added benefit of recording digital audio.

Gary

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/index.htm
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: