electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
<on air> Various Artists Halloween Spook-O-Tron
today> Twyndyllyngs Live Chez Mosc
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
24 hour Lunetta?
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
Wicked track Ryk!

I got seriously spaced-out listening to it......

I stopped soldering, opened a beer, cranked the system up, turned down the lights, and went, er, somewhere you can't buy a ticket to...... Smile

cheers,
Dave

Shocked Mannnn ...... you're the 2nd person that's experienced the tune outside of myself that seems to have found 'my world'! Heh.
I still strongly remember the self-environment that playing that piece directly to tape, had gotten me into. A different 'space'.

All of a sudden, the cassette tape running out and the tape deck stopping, was similar to having been suddenly awoken from the most wonderful dream that you could ever have. Sad

Soon to return to that 'world'! Very Happy
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is something about being immersed in listening to, or recording a "noise" or "ambient" track that takes you over completely. After the first experiments or layers are done, the gear is ready, and it's time to put it to tape, then something happens.....

IMO, it's a *very* different experience to a "beat-driven" hypnotic one.
I love all sorts of beat-driven stuff, but beats remind you you have a body, and so the body dances, or keeps time, or taps its foot.

A beatless soundscape is purely in the head.... It's a very different and beautiful vibe, and I'm a sucker for it....

(I really should buy a season ticket, for which, read - "solder less, listen to, and record more" .... Wink )

cheers,
Dave
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
There is something about being immersed in listening to, or recording a "noise" or "ambient" track that takes you over completely. After the first experiments or layers are done, the gear is ready, and it's time to put it to tape, then something happens.....

IMO, it's a *very* different experience to a "beat-driven" hypnotic one.
I love all sorts of beat-driven stuff, but beats remind you you have a body, and so the body dances, or keeps time, or taps its foot.

A beatless soundscape is purely in the head.... It's a very different and beautiful vibe, and I'm a sucker for it....

Thanks for pointing that out. That's a thought/reality line, that I'd never before PUT into words. That's exactly it though. An ambient or noise piece has that potential, which IS very different from the physical / body listening / grooving to beat oriented tunage.
(Though for me - Genesis' live album Seconds Out, DOES come close to the ambient world feeling for me. A rarity with any beat group.)

That's a mind space that I haven't been in, for a long time, that I've been missing. Now thanks to you spelling it out, may I fully realize that, is where I HAVE been travelling towards, since I started building again, in '05. Smile Will hopefully 'arrive on the shores' for the first time in years, later this week. Smile

Quote:

(I really should buy a season ticket, for which, read - "solder less, listen to, and record more" .... Wink )

cheers,
Dave

I could print out an extra ticket for you, if you like? Or should I just wave a cable around, once I get there? Laughing
Dave Kendall

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I could print out an extra ticket for you, if you like? Or should I just wave a cable around, once I get there? Smile

Dunno what my travel schedule is, but definitely wave the cable!
Mind you, I'm not sure if where I'm heading for actually is a final destination? .. When/if I get there, I'll probably see another interesting thing to explore...., then it's start again...

cheers,
Dave

Textures RULE! Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave Kendall wrote:
Quote:
I could print out an extra ticket for you, if you like? Or should I just wave a cable around, once I get there? Smile

Dunno what my travel schedule is, but definitely wave the cable!
Mind you, I'm not sure if where I'm heading for actually is a final destination? .. When/if I get there, I'll probably see another interesting thing to explore...., then it's start again...

cheers,
Dave

Textures RULE! Smile

True enough. As your sig. says, I live. Smile Whilst I enjoy composing in melody and chord structure, 2 OF my most favourite things for composing IN, are Texture and rhythm (if the latter applies).

Had to borrow your sig. as well. That fits me, beautifully in many aspects. Smile
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heyo! I was wondering if i could get some help:

I noticed you included a 4516 up down counter in your lunetta- what does that do? Would you mind explaining it to me? How could it be used?

also, i havent figured out ripple counters yet- could you briefly describe how your 4024 works in your lunetta?

Thanks very much homies
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ripple counter - each output is a squarewave runing at half the frequency of the previous output. important to note it is a squarewave, not a pulse, meaning it is 'on' for half of its cycle. If your clock frequency is very low, it means some of the outputs will be 'on' or 'off' for ages, not necessarily a bad thing.
I connected up the 4024's outputs to 4 XOR gates (a 4030)...kind of randomly, didn't think about it much.

The 4516, glad you asked about this as looking at it again i noticed an error i made.
The 4516 is a binary up/down counter, so the outputs go 0000, 0001, 0010, 0011, 0100 to 1111....for 'up' and of course the other way if set to count down.
I tied pin5 to +V via 100k, this means it will normally count up, but it is also connected to a banana socket, so a clock signal can make it count down when a 0 is on the input.

pins 3,4,12,13 are inputs, i have these connected to switches wired to switch between +V and 0v. The idea is to set your switches and pulse pin1 high, this will load your inputs onto the output and disrupt the regular counting sequence. This was my error, i didn't connect pin 1 to a socket, just to 0V, meaning whatever i do to the switches will never have any effect....thanks for asking this Smile I thought it was pretty subtle

The 4510 is pin for pin the same as the 4516, but it is BinaryCodedDecimal - only counts to 10.
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: