electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Sending G2's arpeggiator to MIDI OUT?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Sending G2's arpeggiator to MIDI OUT? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find info on this - I'm trying to control an analog synth from the G2's keyboard and I want to use the G2's arpeggiator to arpeggiate the analog synth. But I can't get it to transmit the arpeggiated notes via MIDI to the external synth. It controls a patch within the G2, but not the external synth.

I know that there's a trick to getting the transpose switches to transmit via MIDI - you have to hold the SHIFT key and press the transpose keys, which 'inverts' the transpose LEDs and sends the transpose data to the midi out. Is there some similar trick to get the arpeggiator to transmit via MIDI?

BTW the two sections of the manual that cover the arpeggiator seem to conflict - page 63 says the Master Clock DOES have to be active for the arpeggiator to run (not true), but page 86 says it does not (this is correct). But it looks like neither setting causes it to transmit via midi....

ark

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use a patch that transfers data from the keyboard to the MIDI output.
I've attached the simplest example I can think of.

Keyboard to MIDI out.pch2
 Description:
This patch sends the keyboard input to MIDI channel 1.

Download
 Filename:  Keyboard to MIDI out.pch2
 Filesize:  779 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1425 Time(s)

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Ark! That works to an extent, but there's a problem - it sends the PITCH info from the arpeggiator into the midi stream, but not the series of gates for those pitches - it only sends one GATE. Apparently, the midi data stream is still getting the GATE data from the G2's physical keyboard, not the arpeggiator, so when you hold down a chord on the keyboard the analog synth gets a sequence of pitches but it only gets one gate. I tried a few mods to your idea to generate a pulse with each new pitch and substitute those pulses for the connection from the Keyboard1 module to the NoteSend1 module, but so far I can't get it to work. I'm kinda stumped.
ark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting... I hadn't thought of that before, but of course it might be possible that there is only one gate! Or, more precisely, that the gate output of the keyboard module is connected to the physical keyboard, not to the arpeggiator output.

I'll mull over what might be done about that.
ark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about using a keyboard-triggered envelope to gate the MIDI output?

Keyboard to MIDI out v2.pch2
 Description:
The envelope would be triggered if it were being used to play an ordinary patch, so it should also be triggered when being used for MIDI output.

Download
 Filename:  Keyboard to MIDI out v2.pch2
 Filesize:  868 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1509 Time(s)

KidQuaalude

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave,

I think what you need to do is open the editor, go to synth settings and switch "active" off for that channel.

This solved problems I wa having using the G2 as a midi controller (as it sent the note pressed along with the note i am sending using the MIDINoteSend module)

This way only the notes you send via the MidiNoteSend or Arp are sent.

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: