electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
A 100% Lunetta vco
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: A 100% Lunetta vco
Subject description: In the works! Could use some help with the expo source...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still working out the kinks but I've replaced the transistors in my 40106 vco with some gates from a 4007 and it works pretty dang well! The distortion isn't as great and the range is about 5hz to well above 20khz. I haven't tested the max frequency but it's definitely inaudible and coming up pretty smooth looking on my scope.

I'm using one of the spare gates to buffer the triangle output so it can interact with things without "flopping" out. I need to amplify it as well since it's only peaking out at about 2v.

I have pulsewidth modualtion, a better sync and hopefully some sort of waveshaping. Ideally skewing and/or sine wave output. All using the extra gates of the 4007.

I plan on making a board for it and will be posting it here. Schematic hopefully later tomorrow...er well today.

Last edited by synthmonger on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to that then, as I DO have 1 x CD4007. Smile
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay so I found out adding a Cap and a resistor at the output of the triangle gate solves it going floppy when applying the output to a voltage input so that saves me a gate.

Now I have one gate left on the 4007. Either I can use it and a spare 40106 gate for an extra pulse width output, or another vco without pulse width modulation...bah maybe I should just make a couple versions.

I also found some gnarly waveform outputs on different parts of the PWM circuit. Squarish-sawish kinda shapes that are skewable via the PWM input. Fun stuff for sure!

Sleepy time now. Work in a few hours and afterwards back to the bench!
synthmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spent much time knob twiddling today and felt the need to record it.

For now the audio in my recording is from the same 40106 and VCOVR combo in my previous design with the NPN/NPN trannies replaced with gates from a 4007. The audio in the demo is the square then triangle output. The vco is being FM'd by the 2nd oscillators VC "skewable" output, then triangle, square, and pulse output. The 2nd VCO is at times being sync'd by a spare 40106 oscillator. I've revised the sync to reflect a more standard sync sound.

While I'm very satisfied with my new vco I think I'm going to focus on using just 4007s and 4069s. I know it's possible to make a complete standard modular synth using just 4007s and I might end up doing that. Sounds kinda fun, amirite?

Last edited by synthmonger on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds awesome, I'd like to make one!
monokinetic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger:
you are rite Smile

like the mp3, I'm impressed that it's all lunetta.

Hoping you have time to post the schematic soon (although this weekend I'm sworn to Ryk's new oscillator!) Very Happy

David
synthmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

monokinetic wrote:
synthmonger:
you are rite Smile

like the mp3, I'm impressed that it's all lunetta.

David

Same here! Very surprised that I could get sounds similar to standard vcos out there.

I decided I'm going to make a layout fit to 3U eurorack standards with doepfer style PSU connectors. There will be holes for pots from futurlec on the boards too.

I'm 50/50 on what I should do with voltage requirements. I might stick with 12v and ground or +7/-7 by using 4049s as voltage inverters/regulators. This way I can interface it with standard modular synths with ease...actually come to think of it I could probably just make boards for DC and AC psu's with not much trouble.
synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still having trouble working an expo source out of the 4007. I'm making Osamu's Hoshuyama's version of Rene Schmitz's 4069 vco. I'm using Rene's expo source but replacing the transistors with the ones inside the 4007. I can use one of the 4007 gates as a standard NPN current sink to make it an acceptable and fun VCO but I want to get expo for 1v/oct.

Any suggestions? I've included a very early schematic of how I'm using the 4007. I am using decoupling caps and offset resistor for proper tuning, I just didn't include them in the schematic.

Before anyone says anything, the max operating voltage of a 4007 is 18 volts and has continued to work fine at the bi-polar voltage levels.

I originally intended on using a 4049 to produce -7 volts but it didn't provide enough current to power the 4007. I was getting alot of sloppy slewing so I just switched to a MAX1044 which has been working fine now.

4007_current_sink_and_expo_source.bmp
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  4007_current_sink_and_expo_source.bmp
 Filesize:  385.06 KB
 Downloaded:  922 Time(s)

synthmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still no luck finding a good expo source out of the 4007. Works great as a current sink but I'm not sure when I can get the 1v/oct worked out.

In the mean time with some tweaking you can use the 4007 sink schematic I posted for a fun 4069 vco. If you want it even simpler then stick a voltage divider onto pin 13 in series with a 50-100k resistor.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: