electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Nord Lead 2X (potentional buyer questions)
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DeusOmni

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Nord Lead 2X (potentional buyer questions)
Subject description: Sounds and such
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First I'd like to say I love this section of the forum, contrary to forums on other sites the answers here barely ever seem to disappoint the person posting questions... that might just be my own impression anyways Very Happy

A little warning - I've been a kind of a journalist for quite some time now and I tend to write essays even about the simplest things, so please, bear with me. I just never know when to shut up.

I've been asked to become a member of a local alt-rock band - consists mostly of my old classmates and I'm probably the only person they know that knows his way around the synth field, so I was an obvious choice, I guess. Anyway, so far I've only worked with VSTi synths in Ableton and I decided to turn down their offer, since I don't really feel like "gigging" with a laptop, external sound card (that likes to give up on me all the time) and a masterkeyboard.

My current "gear" consists of a WinXP based laptop, Ableton Live! 7.0.2 (with uTonic, G-Force MiniMonsta, Oddity, Imposcar and NI FM8), M-Audio Audiophile USB, M-Audio Studiophile AV40 and a cheap CME U-Key v2 keyboard. I've also owned a Yamaha DX200 FM synth/sequencer for a while.

I've been looking into HW synths for months now, probably a year, but my co-worker who has been in the field for about 12 years, kept telling me, that I should get a Mac with Logic 8 instead. He didn't expect I'd have to play live somewhere tho. I started out low, looking into synths worth under 500 euros (i.e. Roland SH-201, Korgs etc.), but slowly made my way up to the price range of Clavia synths.

That's when I fell in love with the Nord Lead 2X and spent weeks reading every review I could find on the internet, watching lots of youtube videos over and over and downloading demo songs/sounds... I swear, my girlfriend thinks I love this thing more than her... she's probably right Very Happy

Overall the synth looks and sounds great and with some external effects and a sampler, it'll be great for whatever the guys in the band will want me to do. I've got a few questions regarding my own personal use of the synth tho...

1) Is 2X capable of producing really harsh, agressive sounds? I guess a lot will have to be made with the external effects, but can it sound like chainsaw if I make it? Wink... or anything from the "harsh" department. Hope you get the idea, some recorded sounds would be great, if possible.

2) A lot of users complain about the keyboard. I'll be coming from a really cheap masterkeyboard, can't imagine Nord's keys being much worse. Lack of aftertouch is not an issue with me. Any opinions on Lead's keys vs. cheap masterkeyboard's keys? Doubt anyone here will own the same mkboard as me.

3) This one is probably retarded, but I'll ask anyway. I'm more of a "sound engineer" than a keyboard player and I might be weird, but I really enjoyed making my soft-synths "scream" to the point where I was worried my speakers might die Twisted Evil (oddly enough, I cared less about my ears than my speakers). Is it possible to damage the synth by making seriously beastly noises?... or can 2X even produce them?

4) Since I forgot what I was going to ask next (I'll probably get back to you later), I'll just ask - What's your most and least favorite thing about the Clavia Nord synths? Idea

If you've made it this far, I think we'll get along Wink

Thanks,
Vrolijke geit Karel
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nord Lead 2X (potentional buyer questions)
Subject description: Sounds and such
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome DeusOmni
Quote:
First I'd like to say I love this section of the forum, contrary to forums on other sites the answers here barely ever seem to disappoint the person posting questions... that might just be my own impression anyways Very Happy
A little warning - I've been a kind of a journalist for quite some time now and I tend to write essays even about the simplest things, so please, bear with me. I just never know when to shut up.
Are you aware you have to pay me by the amount of letters you use in your postings? Wink
Quote:
I've been asked to become a member of a local alt-rock band - consists mostly of my old classmates and I'm probably the only person they know that knows his way around the synth field, so I was an obvious choice, I guess. Anyway, so far I've only worked with VSTi synths in Ableton and I decided to turn down their offer, since I don't really feel like "gigging" with a laptop, external sound card (that likes to give up on me all the time) and a masterkeyboard.

My current "gear" consists of a WinXP based laptop, Ableton Live! 7.0.2 (with uTonic, G-Force MiniMonsta, Oddity, Imposcar and NI FM8), M-Audio Audiophile USB, M-Audio Studiophile AV40 and a cheap CME U-Key v2 keyboard. I've also owned a Yamaha DX200 FM synth/sequencer for a while.
Ever done serious sound design on that Yammy-FM'er?
Quote:
I've been looking into HW synths for months now, probably a year, but my co-worker who has been in the field for about 12 years, kept telling me, that I should get a Mac with Logic 8 instead. He didn't expect I'd have to play live somewhere tho. I started out low, looking into synths worth under 500 euros (i.e. Roland SH-201, Korgs etc.), but slowly made my way up to the price range of Clavia synths.
Any reason for that? Should answer most of your questions already... Why not a Roland SH-201 and yes to the Clavia's?
Quote:
That's when I fell in love with the Nord Lead 2X and spent weeks reading every review I could find on the internet, watching lots of youtube videos over and over and downloading demo songs/sounds... I swear, my girlfriend thinks I love this thing more than her... she's probably right Very Happy
Tell her all partners feel that kind of competition from those synths. As long you aren't going to the theater taking your synth and leave her at home other then playing a gig...
Quote:
Overall the synth looks and sounds great and with some external effects and a sampler, it'll be great for whatever the guys in the band will want me to do. I've got a few questions regarding my own personal use of the synth tho...
Oops, now it starts... Smile
Quote:
1) Is 2X capable of producing really harsh, agressive sounds? I guess a lot will have to be made with the external effects, but can it sound like chainsaw if I make it? Wink... or anything from the "harsh" department. Hope you get the idea, some recorded sounds would be great, if possible.
Yes, the NL2X can. There are patching techniques like FM and using the Arpeggiator really fast which could hurt the chainsaw's selfrespect...
Quote:
2) A lot of users complain about the keyboard. I'll be coming from a really cheap masterkeyboard, can't imagine Nord's keys being much worse. Lack of aftertouch is not an issue with me. Any opinions on Lead's keys vs. cheap masterkeyboard's keys? Doubt anyone here will own the same mkboard as me.
Indeed, it could be worst! It's a normal Fatar keyboard, for piano players not the best one, but to non-keyboardists... Okay
Quote:
3) This one is probably retarded, but I'll ask anyway. I'm more of a "sound engineer" than a keyboard player and I might be weird, but I really enjoyed making my soft-synths "scream" to the point where I was worried my speakers might die Twisted Evil (oddly enough, I cared less about my ears than my speakers). Is it possible to damage the synth by making seriously beastly noises?... or can 2X even produce them?
No, as long it's all normal played, so using hamers and axes to play the keys, just don't! Fists also are no-no's. Just using the right Voltage and so, all can be done, although, sometimes there will be no sound, but that's because of the setting of the parameters.
Quote:
4) Since I forgot what I was going to ask next (I'll probably get back to you later), I'll just ask - What's your most and least favorite thing about the Clavia Nord synths? Idea
There really easy to use Human Interface. Most things are rather logic, only Midi is a pain in the neck. Patching is fun and relaxing.
Quote:
If you've made it this far, I think we'll get along Wink
Easy Smile
Quote:
Thanks,
Vrolijke geit Karel
And this Dutch text you have to explain to me...
[Wie uit het Tsjechische schrijft die taal?]

Wout
DeusOmni

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Are you aware you have to pay me by the amount of letters you use in your postings? Wink

When I registered, there was nothing about paying Dutchies Very Happy I gotta read the tiny text next time!

Quote:
Ever done serious sound design on that Yammy-FM'er?

Yeah, I had quite some fun with the DX200. I loved it, but I didn't own it, borrowed it from a friend who was going away for 6 months. It was awesome, I didn't have a masterkeyboard at the time, so I just played around with the sequencer, discovering the wonders of FM synthesis in the process. Got nothing recorded, I always just sat down and played with it for hours, sometimes invited people over and "played" for them... again, it was incredible and the sounds I made it do... insane. If I find someone who's willing to sell it, I'll buy it.

Got some pics of it at http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee290/DeusOmni/RL/YamahaDX200/

Quote:
Any reason for that? Should answer most of your questions already... Why not a Roland SH-201 and yes to the Clavia's?

Well, I liked the SH-201 for it's really simple interface - lots of knobs, really hands-on stuff. The NL2X has that too.
SH-201 is all plastic, not so good when you intend to gig with it.
The things 2X lacks in comparison with SH-201 would be supersaw, d-beam, effects, audio input you can play with etc. Also it costs half of what 2X costs... Hmmm, why the hell do I want the Nord?! Very Happy

I love the red steel look, the fact that it's multitimbral, that it sounds great without any effects... I don't know, SH-201 feels like a toy, Nord doesn't. I like quality in the stuff I buy for myself Wink

Quote:
Tell her all partners feel that kind of competition from those synths. As long you aren't going to the theater taking your synth and leave her at home other then playing a gig...

Ah well, she'll be okay once she sees how sexy it is Wink

Quote:
Oops, now it starts... Smile

You should have seen that sentence how I originally wrote it, it was way way longer Wink Basically listed what "my own personal use" means.

Quote:
Yes, the NL2X can. There are patching techniques like FM and using the Arpeggiator really fast which could hurt the chainsaw's selfrespect...

That's great to hear, I was looking for mp3s recorded from the 2X that would have something like that in them but never found any, so I wasn't totally sure if it's the right synth for me. You better be right Very Happy

Quote:
Indeed, it could be worst! It's a normal Fatar keyboard, for piano players not the best one, but to non-keyboardists... Okay

Alright then!

Quote:
There really easy to use Human Interface. Most things are rather logic, only Midi is a pain in the neck. Patching is fun and relaxing.

I've read stuff about the problem with layers on the rack version and "random" midi signals from faulty mod wheels and knobs... anything else wrong with the midi?

Quote:
And this Dutch text you have to explain to me...
[Wie uit het Tsjechische schrijft die taal?]

Haha... I've spent a nice part of my life hanging out around A'dam/Rotterdam, lived in Spijkenisse for a while, had time to learn at least some of the language Wink I just saw Dutchies around here, so I wanted to try if I still remember something... and I do! Geweldig Cool

<the goat thing is what people there used to call me, don't ask why Wink >
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeusOmni wrote:
... That's great to hear, I was looking for mp3s recorded from the 2X that would have synth for mesomething like that in them but never found any, so I wasn't totally sure if it's the right . You better be right J
You mean something like this?

Wout

ChainSawMusic.mp3
 Description:
Not the best quality

Download
 Filename:  ChainSawMusic.mp3
 Filesize:  469.51 KB
 Downloaded:  1057 Time(s)

26011ChainSawMusic.syx
 Description:
SysEx file

Download
 Filename:  26011ChainSawMusic.syx
 Filesize:  139 Bytes
 Downloaded:  398 Time(s)

DeusOmni

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really what I'm looking for... I can totally hear something in that, but I guess it would need to be effected a bit to become the kind of sound I mean (distortion and such)... a low-pass filter or more likely a band-pass filter might help too (not really sure right now, I'd have to try it). The sound you made is a bit too "bright".

I really appreciate you taking time to record that tho Smile I'll find an example on youtube and I'll get back to you later, I'm at work right now Wink
Wout Blommers

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeusOmni wrote:
... The sound you made is a bit too "bright".
What was the last time you used a chain saw? Wink
Quote:
... I'm at work right now Wink
Watch out! The boss...! Smile

Wout
DeusOmni

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What was the last time you used a chain saw? Wink

Haha well, it has been a while... and my hearing used to be way better before I started going to every concert in the 50 mile radius, buuuuuut I think I still know how it sounds Laughing or at least it's engine.

Quote:
Watch out! The boss...! Smile

I'm the only boss around here Twisted Evil

Anyway, I found a good enough example of the sound I keep going on about. It's youtube, but I tried to pick one with decent-ish audio quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdNtcFqlzzo - the sound starts at 2:39. When I first heard it I thought it was the guitars, so I did some research. The videos from rehearsals usually show one of the guitar players playing it, but when I saw it played live back in 2000 (yeah, I'm in love with that sound for that long), it sounded a bit different aaaand I saw the keyboardist play it (the video shows it too anyway, it was the tour I went to see), guitarists played different riffs (or seemed to), so it's got to be doable on a synth... or something... with effects Rolling Eyes correct me if I'm wrong. After so many years, I might be! I'm sorry, if I sound like a horny teenager, but this is kind of a "thing of the heart" for me in some way Wink

Anyways, that's the kind of sound I mean. I don't need to be able to produce exactly that particular one (I don't feel like copying someone), but that's it, that's the kind of the "chainsaw" sound/noise. I'm sure it's wrapped in plenty of effects tho.

So my question still stands - Is the Nord Lead 2X able to produce that kind of a sound, with some help (effects?) of course?

I'm most probably going to get it even if it can't, but I'd like to know in advance.

Edit: "...and where exactly is the chainsaw?", is what a friend said after viewing that video, so I really might have a weird opinion on how chainsaw sounds... sorry Laughing
fischek

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess not really a chainsaw, but still a very nice sound and something you might find interesting 20 seconds into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OZTaeZfbYE
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: