electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
How to listen to electro-music.com streams on iPhone/iTouch
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: How to listen to electro-music.com streams on iPhone/iTouch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is possible to listen to streams from electro-music.com on the iPhone or iTouch. Unfortunately, the Safari app will not play Shoutcast streams (the technology we and most other internet radio stations use), but there are two great FREE applications that do. Both are, of course, available on the iTunes App Store.

The recommended app is called Fstream.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=289892007&mt=8

Here's how to set it up after you install it.
    1) load FSteam
    2) Push Favorites button at the bottom.
    3) Push Edit at the top left
    4) Push Add new webradio
    5) Enter electro-music.com in the name field
    6) Enter http://radio.electro-music.com:8050 in the URL field
    7) Enter Save
Now it is installed. To listen just
    1) Push Play button on the bottom
    2) Push electro-music.com
    3) Enjoy the music

FStream has many very powerful features, including the ability to program favorites via a web interface on your wireless network. You can find that in the in Settings under More. You can also use this app to record streams in WAV or AIFF formats. It works...

UPDATE June 8, 2009: A little flaw with FStream is that sometimes it thinks it's not connected to the internet. To fix this, just run the web browser and connect to any page. Then close the browser and try FStream again. I found out about this on another forum somewhere.

The second app is called SHOUTcast Radio. It is not quite as good for our station, but it does work and you can get many other web radio stations as well, so it's worth loading the exploring the world of Shoutcast radio.

Load and Install Shoutcast Radio from the iTunes store.
    1) Push the Search button on the bottom right
    2) Enter electro-music in the field at the top
    3) Push on the electro-music.com station that shows up.
    4) enjoy
Shoutcast Radio may seem like the easiest to use, but it isn't because sometimes our station doesn't show up in the search. That's why we suggest FStream.

If you have any questions, please post them as replies to this topic.

Last edited by mosc on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:51 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Howard,

Fstream works perfectly on my iTouch. I noticed the Shoutcast application indeed does not find the electr-music station all the time and the SEARCH comes up empty nearly 100% of the time. I loaded both because there are lots of Shoutcast stream I do listen to like SomaFM, Bassdrive, and some Jungle/dnb channels.

I did see that it can record the stream to (WAV and AIFF) but the files will get very large quickly as none of the formats are compressed and are straight up PCM. I know AIFF-C is compressed but not AIFF. That will be an add on later maybe .... Very Happy

I have not tried feature this yet. After recording though, does it appear in my MUSIC area of the iTouch? Can I transfer it back to my PC via iTunes interface when done and burn a CD from it? I have to try this .... Cool

The great thing is that the two applications are FREE and one must be careful because there are other programs that do not even come close to this and cherge you for them. Buyer beware !!!

Bill
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad you got it to work, Bill. I'm working now on getting a parallel 64 kbs station.

Last Friday I was listening to EdisonRex's program when I was in Philly using my iPhone on the edge network. It worked, even at 128 kbs, but I was loosing the connection as I drove around. I think 64 kbs might work better on edge.

Maybe some 3G phone owners can let us know how works away from WiFi networks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mosc

Quote:
Glad you got it to work, Bill. I'm working now on getting a parallel 64 kbs station.

Yes, works great ... and ... the 64 kbps sounds like a good idea Wink I just have one question. Lots of folks are still using the V.90 54 kbps dial up connection, you think they have a good chance to hear the radio without many drops?

Quote:
Last Friday I was listening to EdisonRex's program when I was in Philly using my iPhone on the edge network. It worked, even at 128 kbs, but I was loosing the connection as I drove around. I think 64 kbs might work better on edge.

Certainly less demand on the re-buffering ... might just work fine Wink

Thanks for the Fstream suggestion BTW .....

Bill
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think 56 kbs modem would not support 64 kbs streams. One would have to go down to 32 kbs. From what I gather, at that bit rate, it's best to go mono.

Yesterday I rand some test on a 64 kbs stereo stream and found the edge network dropped out under certain conditions. Probably the edge network isn't really suitable for receiving streaming audio while moving around. I'd be interested in any 3G users reports.

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My 3G still doesn't work Evil or Very Mad
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: