electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Spotify gets approved for the iPhone
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Spotify gets approved for the iPhone
Subject description: But I bet it's "pay as you go"?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news for music lovers and even better news for artists- if it will work? Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spotify.com wrote:
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions we are not yet available in your country. We understand that you are currently in United States (your IP address 24.102.136.91). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at support@spotify.com.

Sounds like the BBC. It's a pain to get the World Service on the iPhone.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! I've become a regular user of Spotify to the point of having almost stopped buying albums. It will be interesting to check this out.

I'm a bit amazed though - isn't this a direct competitor with iTunes?

/Stefan

thundarr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really not sure it's a good thing for music lovers at all... Seems more like the first step to DRM heaven for the RIAA.

"Why bother downloading all that music so you can do what you want with it?... Let us look after it for you, yeeesssss, double good...."
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:
Seems more like the first step to DRM heaven for the RIAA.

Would you like to be more specific?

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I think Spotify (as it works on a PC) is pretty brilliant - for starters it brings at least 50% of my record collection online for €10 a month. The risk is that I will become dependent on it and then the subscription fee will rise rapidly, but that's not a problem here and now.

One problem with Spotify is that the revenue for small actors is very small (Spotify is owned by a couple of the major music labels) - this may lead to a worse service in the future as artists start to withdraw their music (already happened here in Sweden). The dream is to have a service like this were artists from all levels could put up their music and be payed equally per streamed song. This shouldn't really be a problem for anyone - Madonna will still be streamed a gazillion times more often than Antimon.

/Stefan

thundarr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
thundarr wrote:

Get the people used to not 'owning' their own music, but streaming from central databases and you're halfway there to getting the public to accept harsh Digital Rights Management policies.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:

Get the people used to not 'owning' their own music, but streaming from central databases and you're halfway there to getting the public to accept harsh Digital Rights Management policies.

Good point.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
thundarr wrote:

Don't you think this is a tad on the paranoid "oh dearism" side? I mean, people have been averting copyright long before the internet was born. "Home taping is killing music", which was printed on almost every LP sleeve? Did it kill music? No. Not at all. If anything, it just made music more vibrant, because we all then wanted to go out and form a band. I used to tape by holding my cassette recorder next to the TV speakers! As for DRM, have you not heard of Wire Tap Pro, or Audio Hijack Pro? (sorry I'm a Mac user). Same thing?

oh btw, "Oh dearism";

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
thundarr wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
thundarr wrote:

Don't you think this is a tad on the paranoid "oh dearism" side? I mean, people have been averting copyright long before the internet was born. "Home taping is killing music", which was printed on almost every LP sleeve? Did it kill music? No. Not at all. If anything, it just made music more vibrant, because we all then wanted to go out and form a band. I used to tape by holding my cassette recorder next to the TV speakers! As for DRM, have you not heard of Wire Tap Pro, or Audio Hijack Pro? (sorry I'm a Mac user). Same thing?

It´s still a good point.

The important concept here is
thundarr wrote:

Get the people used to not 'owning' their own music, but streaming from central databases

The RIAA bit I find of less importance here though.

We do however already know that the long tail effect from owning a huge catalog of music hasn´t quite performed as expected.. at least for download and on-demand services.. even though Wired Magazine would want you to think otherwise. In order to sell your product you will need to promote it and paradoxically that might be the reason the major labels are collapsing. They simply stopped doing what they were supposed to do and .. well.. it is hard to say what they really think they are doing these days. scratch

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
thundarr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

A little paranoia isn't such a bad thing, when stuff like this is going on:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/big-content-ridiculous-to-expect-drmed-music-to-work-forever.ars

Naturally we are currently able to circumvent any DRM. It's not the 'home taping' (ie filesharing) that is the problem here (I am a big fan of free filesharing), on the contrary, it is the recording industry.
thundarr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

We do however already know that the long tail effect from owning a huge catalog of music hasn´t quite performed as expected.. at least for download and on-demand services.. even though Wired Magazine would want you to think otherwise. In order to sell your product you will need to promote it and paradoxically that might be the reason the major labels are collapsing. They simply stopped doing what they were supposed to do and .. well.. it is hard to say what they really think they are doing these days. scratch

Flailing around trying to grab anything they can as they sink, it appears, similar to the news companies trying to stop free news. They are having trouble adapting to the internet, and resorting to braver and braver schemes.
Antimon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to defend Spotify a bit more by claiming that it is closer to listening to music radio than buying CDs. You don't buy specific music, you subscribe to (or agree to suffer through commercials for) the right to listen to their huge catalogue of music, with no track restrictions like on e.g. last.fm. There is no real sense of owning music on Spotify.

/Stefan

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, Antimon, Spotify is sorta like XM or Sirius?

What about Pandora? If you want to listen to music, on the internet, that's a nice service. Free too.

If you want to listen to your music collection on your iPhone while away from home, I suggest ORB. It works great. The only problem is you have to leave your PC on, but that's not much of a problem.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
ORB. It works great.

No it doesn't. It don't work on a Mac! All my music is on my Mac! Evil or Very Mad

Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
So, Antimon, Spotify is sorta like XM or Sirius?

What about Pandora? If you want to listen to music, on the internet, that's a nice service. Free too.

If you want to listen to your music collection on your iPhone while away from home, I suggest ORB. It works great. The only problem is you have to leave your PC on, but that's not much of a problem.

Hmm, when I said Spotify is a bit like radio I didn't mean that actually was like radio. Smile I checked those sites briefly, and my guess is that you can't say "I want to listen to the full Steve Recih Works album" and do it on e.g. XM - I might be wrong since I only did a quick check. You can do that on Spotify.

What makes me think it is a bit like radio is the subscription concept, where you can listen to any album you want that they have (which isn't totally everything - I wanted to use a Pink Floyd album as an example but they're not on Spotify it seems) as long as you pay $10 a month. There's no real difference towards listening on a physical CD, except the way the music is owned. The difference in attitude that I feel towards these two things is interesting.

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must say that I have to agree with most of what Stefan is saying here. And although I was once quite pro(free)-file sharing, I now have quite a different opinion on this, which has largely come from those who still insist in getting stuff for nothing- which I now think is wrong.

I'd love Spotify to replace my record and CD collection, as it would really free up much needed space.

PS listening to Conrad Schnitzler's track "Solar Cells" right now (off Spotify). Oddly enough, this track is from a Tangerine Dream compilation called "Tangerine Ambience", where all the other tracks- covers by TD fans I should say- are simply terrible. BUT, and this is a big but, the CS track is simply out of this world! The best on the whole LP. Apple iTunes would never allowed me to listen to the whole of this track- I can find it on iTunes, but because this is the longest track on the compilation, I can't purchase the single track without paying £8 or so (and therefore be able to listen to the whole of this track), and having all the rest of the tracks. Annoying.

thundarr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you replace your collection with Spotify, and the company goes under... Have fun finding all those rare gems again Razz

I use Soulseek... Good interface, free music and huge variety (especially lots of awesome Krautrock Smile )
Antimon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:
When you replace your collection with Spotify, and the company goes under... Have fun finding all those rare gems again Razz

Yeah well, I imagine that can be fun. Smile Finding hometaping sources... keeping the music alive in my head... picking out the chords on a guitar and singing it with my friends... It's just like with radio!

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
thundarr wrote:

keeping the music alive in my head...

Ha! Took the words right out of my mouth! Cool

Man (thundarr), your so glum! Cheer up!! Wink Glad to see your a Krautrock fan though- me too!! Cool Cool

thundarr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a happy chappy really Razz I'm just particularly passionate about music being free Smile

Besides, if I ever do feel down, I can just stick Neu II on and cheer up as soon as the drums start Razz
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:
I'm a happy chappy really Razz I'm just particularly passionate about music being free Smile

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on cheap labour too. Rolling Eyes

We, in the west, have this ridiculous romantic notion that it is okay to dowload for free but will throw our arms in the air whenever we hear that a pair of shoes has been made in an Indonesian sweatshop and will bend over backwards to buy clothes and food (Tradecraft? Wink ) that doesn't exploit workers, but we are quite happy to download music, software or video for nothing (and therefore exploiting those who have spent months, even years creating it)! What gives??

You really think music should be free? Why is that? Why shouldn't you have to pay for it? Klaus Dinger and Michael Rother (Neu!) were former members of Kraftwerk, however if they had the money behind them (both Ralf and Florian were pretty well off, both coming from well established rich backgrounds- Florian's Father, for starters, was a very famous German architect). Do you not think that if Neu! were in a similar position (I'm sure they weren't 'poor' though? The majority of "free thinkers" that I have met over the last 30 years or so, have rich parents), they may have done better?

What I am getting at is if all music is "for free" then the only people able to create and publish music, or at least music that may have a better chance of their music being marketed well, are those musicians who are relatively well off in the first place. Right?

The magic music of Germany happened because there was a massive injection of cash into Germany after the second world war. Money donated to Germany by America via the UN. Many german bands were also sponsored by companies such as Farfisa (observe and you will notice that there is a Farfisa Piano or organ belonging to almost every Kraut band- even Tangerine Dream used to thank their equipment sponsors on their covers today), keen to 'cash in'. But that money has long dried up, and now, in order to make music on a full-time basis you need money behind you, otherwise you will have to work full-time to keep the bills in check.

So I ask you, apart from donating music for others to hear, via the creative commons etc, do you still feel that it is right to download music for free?

thundarr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
in order to make music on a full-time basis you need money behind you, otherwise you will have to work full-time to keep the bills in check.

Yep, sums it up for me. I have made a lot of music over the years. It is all readily available to download for free, either from websites I have set up myself, or on various filesharing networks. I work a shit full-time job to fund this music. I am happy to separate music from money as much as is possible.

Regardless of the amount of money coming in, music will still be created; music made without regard for compensation or monetary value, for the sake of music. The question should be 'What sort of music do we love to play?', not 'What sort of music sells well?' as it so often appears to be.
Antimon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:
Quote:
in order to make music on a full-time basis you need money behind you, otherwise you will have to work full-time to keep the bills in check.

Yep, sums it up for me. I have made a lot of music over the years. It is all readily available to download for free, either from websites I have set up myself, or on various filesharing networks. I work a shit full-time job to fund this music. I am happy to separate music from money as much as is possible.

Respect and applause for that! I wonder though how much nice music has been strangled at birth because the artist couldn't gather the energy for making it, how many wild geniuses have died in parks, homeless because their total dedication to their art without a chance to make a living out of it. Could be argued that this is the traditional (=correct and righteous?) way for artists.

thundarr wrote:

Regardless of the amount of money coming in, music will still be created; music made without regard for compensation or monetary value, for the sake of music. The question should be 'What sort of music do we love to play?', not 'What sort of music sells well?' as it so often appears to be.

I rarely partake in discussions about music marketing or economics, and I don't think I see that much of it here. I see it on swedish music forums, but I blame that on our collective psyche - we're brilliant at engineering and marketing, but culturally here is a wasteland.

This is getting OT... interesting discussion though!

/Stefan

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thundarr wrote:

Nicely put, but you still need to respect the wishes of those who don't want you to 'take' money for free- by downloading, and that's why I think Spotify is a good cause- if it works.

So why we are on the subject of free downloads, here's a gift from me to all folk here at electro-music.com (I know some here have already heard this track).

This track is called "The Voice of Energy" (yep- Kraftwerk check here Wink ). The track was originally released as a very limited edition 7" single on Static Caravan records (http://www.staticcaravan.org/) about 8 years ago. Almost all the sounds on this track were created from shortware radio bleeps and drones, and manipulated further using an Emu e6400 sampler. The crazy feedback at the beginning came from jamming extracts between myself and my best friend Richard Carman who currently lives in Japan, and recorded under the name of "Magic City" (Homage of course, to Sun Ra). The voice was a unknown shortwave radio broadcast- but my guess was that it was from the Quran, as it mysteriously appeared, like a number station, during the Islamic holy month. It's rather fitting to release this on this date, because this month is indeed the month of Ramadan. Respect. Smile

Folks, inject this into your iPod and enjoy! Very Happy

(I've encoded this track with Ogg Vorbis- because ogg, imho, is the most OS friendly pro-compressed format Wink Very Happy )

The Voice of Energy.ogg
 Description:
This track is called "The Voice of Energy" (yep- Kraftwerk check here ;) ). The track was originally released as a very limited edition 7" single on Static Caravan records (http://www.staticcaravan.org/) about 8 years ago. Almost all the so

Download
 Filename:  The Voice of Energy.ogg
 Filesize:  2.75 MB
 Downloaded:  1755 Time(s)

Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: