electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
A high level language for Chamy
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
charis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: A high level language for Chamy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I wanted to check if the Chameleon community is still alive since I’m doing my dissertation on Chameleon and would love some feedback.

So, is anybody out there - out there- out there - there - there - ere - ere....?

I’m a Computer Science student so will be focusing more on the programming part - probably creating a high level language to program both the ColdFire and the DSP.

What do you think? Any tips/advice/comments/requests welcome.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi charis
welcome to electro-music.com Exclamation

Quote:
I wanted to check if the Chameleon community is still alive

as far as I can tell I am still alive and I know a few others that are too (at least last time I checked Cool )

Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
DrJustice

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A high level language for Chamy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi charis!

Welcome to the forum!

Like Seraph, I'm still here too...

Sounds like a good project to me. It would be very "real" since the Chami represents exactly the type of platform that is still widely in use in the music industry. Within it's capabilities it's the real deal, so to speak.

There isn't as much development activities around it as it once was, but I guess some of us are still coding some for it. Personally I use it now and then for a bit of experimentation and as a test bed for various audio algorithms. And of course it will always run the existing soundskins.

If you manage to make a user friendly high level environment for it, that would be not only a good exercise for you, but if published, also a nice tool for other users who would normally not get into the DSP coding at assembly level. Yep, definitely a good project Smile

Feel free to ask questions and we'll try to help. What kind of language/environment are you thinking about?

DJ
--
charis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A high level language for Chamy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the welcome! Good to know a fine machine like this one is still used out there!

DrJustice wrote:
If you manage to make a user friendly high level environment for it, that would be not only a good exercise for you, but if published, also a nice tool for other users who would normally not get into the DSP coding at assembly level. Yep, definitely a good project Smile

Yeah that's the purpose! Along with me exploring some fields of Computer Science and Digital Signal Processing of course Smile Making Chameleon a bit more popular would be great and I will try to pursue it.

DrJustice wrote:
What kind of language/environment are you thinking about?

I haven't decided yet to be honest - I'm at research mode at the moment. I have an interest on dynamic languages but don't know if that's going to work. Will certainly look to create something simple for the users.
charis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could someone point out the best way of learning to program the DSP? I'm a bit lost with all the reference manuals and tutorials and everything.

I did some assembly in the past but nothing too serious.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't really know any other way than persevering with the manuals and tutorials. The DSP assembly may seem a bit daunting at first, but once you get warmed up it's not that bad (actually it's pure fun Very Happy).

Also have a look at the old Chameleon forum. It's read-only now, but there may be a few things to pick up.

Then there's the Freescale DSP 56k documentation, with a few useful appnotes and such. It can be found here:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/search/Serp.jsp?SelectedAsset=Documentation&assetLocked=false&showCustomCollateral=false&Product Type=Products%2F030M938562922795%60%60Digital+Signal+Processors+%26+Controllers%2F001M98596%60%60DSP563xx%2F
(unfortunately phpBB chokes on the URL BB code for that URL...)

And of course you can ask DSP questions here.

DJ
--
skacid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The old Chamy forum has not been working properly. Who can fix this? It was a good resource (invaluable in many ways).
charis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks DrJustice - I'll have a look. (Sorry for the late reply, was feeling unwell).

skacid wrote:
The old Chamy forum has not been working properly. Who can fix this? It was a good resource (invaluable in many ways).

Yeah it doesnt' work for me either. Would be nice if we could get back it even as a read-only forum.
DrJustice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've spoken to Paul Maddox who is hosting the old Chameleon site. Unfortunately, the old forum will not come back online due to technical reasons. Paul has done more than enough already, so a big Thank You to him for keeping it alive for so long!

DJ
--
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Chameleon
Jump to: