electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » News... » PC
best sound card to buy?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tellurian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: best sound card to buy? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

best soundcard for pc?
have an interface tascam but no enough outs for ableton any suggestions for a good audio card with multi I/O?
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, there are a few things that need to be known that would help in making suggestions...

- Is the computer a desktop or laptop?
- Do you have a preference to internal cards, USB or Firewire?
- How many inputs and outputs do you want?
- What is your budget?

Personally I use RME and M-audio products and they work very well for me. My most recent addition was a ProFire 2626 which I use with my MSI Laptop for 26in/26 out capability. I've mixed my band thru the system and it's worked very well. It does require A/D/A converters like the Behringer ADA8000 for 16 of the 26 channels.

I also had a MOTU Traveler MK I that I really liked. It worked great with my rack-mount PC but I kept getting glitches with the laptop that I was unable to fix. (the MSI laptop has proven to be a pain to get stabilized but it's doing fine now) So I ended up selling the Traveler to offset the cost of the ProFire. If you are using a laptop and want to use Firewire you have to be careful as to which audio interface you get - there are a lot of compatibility issues out there. USB is more forgiving.

Some people really like the Presonus products - I've never had a chance to work with them.

For the desktop computers - I try to stick with RME internal cards whenever I can - but you need the external A/D/A converters like the Behringer ADA8000 on the low-end or you can spend a lot for top-of-the-line converters. I feel that RME has some of the best driver support in the industry. Over the years I've owned 4 of their cards and never had issues with any of them. If your desktop has Firewire you can use external systems (assuming they are compatible) as with a laptop. Same with USB. I've got an M-Audio Fast-Trak Ultra on a Sony Vaio desktop that is running Windows Media Center - works great.

~Dave

tellurian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use a tascam us144 thru usb to record and play back and record into either wavelab or ableton.
the problem is i only have stereo out from the tascam so its hard if i use ableton i need two channels out minimum
this is for a desktop pc it has usb and firewire and my laptop has same features.
ultraultralite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4 inputs and 4 outputs are fine? do you care a little/more/extraextra about sound quality? what latency can you live with at maximum? what is your budget?
any thoughts about different brands or doesn't it matter which brand it is? do you need MIDI io as well?
tellurian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ultraultralite wrote:
4 inputs and 4 outputs are fine? do you care a little/more/extraextra about sound quality? what latency can you live with at maximum? what is your budget?
any thoughts about different brands or doesn't it matter which brand it is? do you need MIDI io as well?

need excellent sound quality, best latency factor, 4 I/O or more, midi yes budget irrelevant
ultraultralite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

then a motu ultralite might be s good interface for you. presonus makes good interfaces too..

[edit]and let us know what you think and so on ... Cool
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WT?
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have a roland edirol fa-66, it works very nicely.
Volterock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For stability, it seems best to pick companies that keep their drivers up-to-date. I know M-Audio has always been good with this.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » News... » PC
Jump to: