electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
detect a change in values
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Axiom Crux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: detect a change in values
Subject description: Id like to create a patch that detects if a constant is being changed or staying the same
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems simple enough, Just want to make a patch that when I move a knob that is attached to a constant, it will output a logic hi signal when the constant is being changed, and when it is sitting still, it puts logic low. The end use for this is that I want to make a simple cv recorder with the sample delay module, when a knob is being moved it will record the movements, and when its not, it will keep looping the movements that have been made. I think this could be cool for sound design, make a really interesting sound generating section and then just have 8 knobs that I sit there jamming on, it will make organic loops.

I tried doing some things using >= comparison module, but it wasn't working out, I am not sure that this route will work or not.
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have tried my hand at this and failed. There's some trickiness involved when you try to delay and feedback logic that I can't wrap my head around.

One idea that leapt into my head just now as I read your post is that you could try to pipe the constant module's output into a highpass filter, run that through a distortion module and after that a logic pulse module. The highpass will always pull a constant value towards zero, but the moment you change the value there should be a little edge that the highpass filter will interpret as a high pitched signal, and let pass through. It won't be loud, but if you distort it enough there may be a detectable signal. That signal will flap around, which is fixed by the logic pulse module set to suitable values.

If I am being to confusing (and Tim doesn't manage to come up with an ultra-optimized DIY trick), I can try to patch something up in the morning (not sure it will work anyway).

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The idea is to delay the signal and then compare the original to the delayed version, if they are different the signal changed. Would that help?
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something like this?

EDIT: You can tweak the response time by adjusting the glide rate. I set it to ultra-fast. This might be too hiccup-y for some applications.

EDIT2: The logic gate signal is derived from the absolute differential, so it isn't 64 Clavia units. If used strictly as a logic gate, this doesn't matter, as anything higher that 0 is interpreted as a logic high*. Just FYI.

*hmm, aristotelian drugs... Laughing

KnobMoveDetectTK.pch2
 Description:
Detecting knob movements.

Download
 Filename:  KnobMoveDetectTK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.12 KB
 Downloaded:  1589 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Addendum (sorry... Laughing)

If you want sample-accurate detection of value change (meaning: at full 24 or 96k), this is your ticket:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-39398.html
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neato! thumright I knew you'd have a couple of magic tricks up your sleeve.

/Stefan

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: