electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Drum Synth Progress
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [63 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diablojoy wrote:
need to sort a master clock though so still looking at that need bpm and also an ext midi in so i can synch to my daw when i need too

That's why I'm wondering about just a MIDI to gate converter. If it had 8 outs, everything could be programmed in the DAW. Worry about clock dividers (if needed) later.

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

midibox midi to cv has 8 gate outs and could be used that way
i have one waiting for panelling and enough max 525's for another 2
if i ever finish them
i think silent wave is another possible answer and will also be trying that
out as i have lots of unused channels on my interfaces , if only for cheap cv's
but in the end i actually would rather a dedicated master clock one simple set of controls for clocking all , and the ability to synch to a daw is a very important part of that but as i don't always have my daw program running or indeed even have a computer turned on when just playing around
a seperate dedicated clock sort of makes sense
then again maybe i am just completely addicted to building stuff
I do spend more time on doin that than anything else Embarassed
edit2 : removed quote multiples

Last edited by diablojoy on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the one I got

http://highlyliquid.com/kits/md24/

24 outs. Smile

Update, by the way,
I now have the TR-505 set up with the proper note numbers so that the trigger buttons correspond sequentially with the MD24 outputs.

The important thing to remember is that the MD24 is looking for key numbers starting at 60, which is middle C in MIDI speak.

So set all the TR-505 triggers to MIDI channel 1 and number them from 60 on. Then on the MD24 set all the DIP switches to off, use the 'init' jumper to load its default setup and it works beautifully.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, great stuff , that's an interesting link to the 24 trigg / gate converter, hmmm imagine 3 fully loaded diy drum modular 'kits' 8 voices each, stacking patterns , Twisted Evil , there again i would go insane with all that wiring involved Shocked .

Are you planning a 24 voice drum synth ?? .

thanks for posting your updates, very interesting thread.
i'm still getting to grips with my build from last year....
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-34152.html

hope it all runs smooth

Dave
droffset

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave, so far so good, it just takes a long time to get things done.

When I finish these PCBs that's already 10 voices, so it leaves plenty of room for expansion. I'm tempted by those quad Bass++ boards though...!

EDIT: Plus the four voices in the Mattel Synsonics drum toy, and the stock voices in the TR-505.

Your build and creatorLars' were a big influence on the decision to start this!

telstarmagikistferrari

Audio files: 43

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset.. are you gonna put together a couple drum pads to play this thing via the analog components of YOUR BODY AND DRUMSTICKS?!

I ask because I'm about to get a DS7 clone in trade for my Paia Fatman. Just curious.

I got a Mattel Synsonics but the pads don't work so good so I just use the quantized buttons. duddaduddaduddadudda.. i love the rapid fire shit..
droffset

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funny you should mention that. Smile Here's what the whole setup looks like at this exact moment, just a few moments ago:
Drum synth progress
I do want to make drum pads, but at the moment there are three ways of triggering these bad boys:

1. My body, since the banana jacks aren't grounded the inputs are floating like bananas, and even the slightest touch to the metal makes something happen.

2. MIDI via the MD24 and my TR-505

3. My Lunetta via some clever little one-shot circuits that Ray Wilson put on this page(but I'm using XOR gates): http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/mmlogic.html

Recently added some Synsonics also! Haven't hacked into them yet though, but I have some good info from RichardC64 about it.

Sound soon! I recorded last night but need to edit a bit.

The eeePC is proving to be a very nice recording tool with Ubuntu running Audacity.

The top panel on the left is an SN voice awaiting final wiring, still haven't gotten the nerve up yet, but maybe this weekend.

Last edited by droffset on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You've probably seen this page but if not it might help:

http://www.burnkit2600.com/synsonics-drums/

edit: it looks that that's Richard64's page!

Here's something else kinda inspiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y93N92J9oFE
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:

I ask because I'm about to get a DS7 clone in trade for my Paia Fatman.

wait. youre giving away a fatman and youre getting a ds7 clone for it?
thats not what i call a good deal, my friend. hell, i'll give you TWO ds7 clones for the fatman! Shocked
telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I'm good with the deal. I like trades, and the Fatman is just not something I use, ever. The DS7 is exactly what I need right now. Thanks for the offer.
droffset

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now with sound:

This is the Lunetta triggering the three DS8s

Ds8-01a by droffset

telstarmagikistferrari

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset:

That is exactly what I hope to accomplish using my Lunetta in tandem with the DS7. It sounds nice together! The softer waves of the drum synth suit the lunetta's harsher squares quite well. Thanks for posting this; I plan to post something similar once I get my DS7.
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telstarmagikistferrari wrote:

http://www.burnkit2600.com/synsonics-drums/

edit: it looks that that's Richard64's page!

Yep, that's me. I wouldn't call it my page, though. I just contributed a lot of the mods. There's some that don't appear there, for various reasons.

Quote:
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/mmlogic.html

There's an error in the one-shot examples at the bottom of the page. For the 74HCxx examples given, maximum +V cannot be more than 6V, not 5 to 15 volts. And no, I haven't pointed that out to Ray yet.

richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If double-posting was allowed, this could also appear in "post your backlog." I'm too embarassed to to say how long this has been "in progress"

Shown: early stages of Synsonic mods; 2-unit Bass++ that needs troubleshooting, with its temp control panel; bass pedal with pad; box to house the electronics, with piezo pads.

slow_progress.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.98 KB
 Viewed:  338 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

slow_progress.jpg

droffset

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Double posting is definitely allowed here.
New stuff for the synth!

First up I'm a proud owner of a functional SN-Voice! Thanks to everyone who contributed to its design and realization. It took me a little while to work out how to work it but now all is well.

Yes yes, no knobs and long pots, I'm working on it. Smile
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
And to get me into learning about modular synths via VSTs, we have a lovely pre-loved M-Audio Keystation.

Might as well throw in current pics of my Lunetta, since it will be triggering lots of percussion goodness. More will be addes to this board very soon:

These things count as part of the overall drum synth because...well just because. Smile

Good times

droffset

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of douple Posting...

6 input mixer using Ray Wilson's Simple mixer schematic.
The Lunetta and the SN-Voice are close enough to the same level for my uses but holy crap, the DS8s are going to need their own preamp and mixer.

More iterating, built a simple wooden rack frame.

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Again Droffset ... I just love the rawness look of your build! Smile And now the wooden rack assembly for holding the drums panels in, looks great behind it as well. Smile
droffset

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Rykhaard!

I am looking into aluminium sheet sources, but this wood will do for now. And it's pretty free of unwanted noise too. Those panels are 3U, but I think I can shrink them down to 2U.

Was looking at it last night and might actually rotate the corkboard 90 degrees(in the Y axis) cut it in half width-wise, and build a sort of console look out of it, like the VCS3.

The mixer is working really nicely, this is going to be great for expanding into multiple voices going on at the same time.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/vcs3.php

droffset

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a couple of videos of my machine. The Lunetta is controlling the SN voice via an R/2R and the three DS8s via some little one shots based on XOR gates.

Part 1

The DS8s are using a 386 preamp so you can hear them, and they sound fine now amplitude-wise. I feel like the DS8s sound a bit wimpy though and I think I'm going to remove them from the big setup and into small self contained units, then focus on the Quad BASS++

Part 2, sort of tearing the patch apart, so the SN voice can shine a bit more.

Thanks, more to come.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool vids DrOffset , the SN voice makes some interesting noises .

I'm going to be starting modular drum synth V2 , over the summer Smile , going double decker with the existing unit i made , i might try CGS stomp box level shifter circuit ( the step up output stage of the circuit) to try to get my DS8's up to the level of the T.H. MPS , worth a try .

I aslo found i was pinching to many lfo's from my big modular for all the cv inputs , so i think i'll make a few simple lfo's for the new drum synth.

The quad bass ++ is going in as well , i think i will have switches for them to double up with existing voices or switched to have 5 bass ++'s on the first trigger.

hmmm it's going to be a busy soldering summer Very Happy

Dave
droffset

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave,

Double on all of that?!? That's going to be a monster.

The little 386 amp that I whacked onto the DS8 outputs is actually pretty good for the job, I even have to turn it down a bit.

I have some ICs called Line Drivers that I got in a bulk auction buy, maybe a Line Driver is good for boosting signals like this as well, dunno. It's mostly for the telecommunications industry.

Right now I'm waiting on being able to get some misc parts for the Cynare and quad Bass++ but the big holdup is potentiometers. I could use local retail but the prices are outrageous, so it'll probably have to be mail order. Since I'm trying to get my builds to be more polished the potentiometers will hopefully be the same size and knob type, which means it's going to be a BIG order. It'll take some time to get the money together for that.

LFOs, totally. The more the better. Have you tried Nicholas's vcLFO? I have a bunch of LM324s so it seems like a good choice.

Speaking of LFOs, if you take a slow PWM squarewave and do a simple portamento on the output, that could be an interesting way to do LFO for modulations, yes? Not triangle or sawtooth, more like trapezoid, heh.

droffset

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Little update.

Added CV in jacks for the DS8s and took out the crappy noise transistors. Installed sockets so I can try different transistors, now they have 2N3904 in them.

Redid the power distribution, much tidier now and makes room for more modules.

Quad Bass++ is stuffed, just need hardware.

Bought some potentiometers but it won't be enough to do all four Bass++ at once, which I'd prefer. So I looked at the Cynare and HEY, I have the stuff for it.

Now considering how best to lay out the Cynare panel. The panel will be a 3U 19" just like the others, just because it's awesome.

The board is stuffed, just need transistors and ICs, but the sockets are in. I'm going for all of the extra jacks to make it uber patchable, the 6 shimmer pots, the impact level pot, and a banana to 1/4" jack converter for the main output with a simple level pot( maybe two of these since I'll have the panel space...). I don't have any of the 2222 transistors but I think there's enough 2n3904 in the parts bin, there's at least one for the noise generator. I have HEAPS of other kinds too, BC549, 550, etc. Let's just see how it goes I guess...

Has anyone taken the Shimmer out to its own output jack like the noise? I'm wondering if I'd have to do a buffer Op Amp thingy to have that.

Some Cynare resources:
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=cynare&t=39489
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=cynare&t=30966

Found this Bass Drum circuit, could be a good addition to the team:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28447.html

Cool.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my top deck will have the trimmers brought out to panel pots to adjust the metallic sound on the cynare, after using it with the trimmers set in the case i found i wanted to tweak them for different tones. Should have had em on the front 1st time , nevermind , soon fix that Smile.
I fancy some sort of overdrive / distortion to switch in and out of some of the modules... crunchy drum patterns Smile
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

droffset wrote:

Has anyone taken the Shimmer out to its own output jack like the noise? I'm wondering if I'd have to do a buffer Op Amp thingy to have that.

Ken's Shimmer, is where it all started for me. I duplicated his Shimmer and made 1 or 2 of the clocks in it VC'able, in my own not knowing enough way. It worked fairly much, tho. Smile
I believe I HAD buffered the Shimmer output, as well. (I had recently (within the last 2 years) scrapped the board, as I'd come up with my Liquid HiHat V1.00. (Before that - I had ordered and built the Cynare - which I sent off to someone from here, somewhere, who'd sent me a dead Ken Stone VCO in return - which I still have to repair.)

Anyhoo .... I have the vaguest memories, but had I not offered you 1 of my Liquid HiHat PCBs that Dragonslair had made? The other 2 (STILL Sad ) have to be mailed to Bruce, but that leaves me with 1 more which I don't intend to use (with the original LHH 1 and the new LHH 2 here).

If you want - PM your addy and I can fire both sets off to both of you, at the same time. Smile
droffset

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rich, thanks very much for the offer, PM sent!

Buffers it is then, I've added some links to info about buffers below in case someone out there is looking for it.

A fuzz / overdrive panel does sound interesting.

Here's something you might like. I've been working on this here and there. It's a patchable box that will contain the various fuzz/distortion circuits that I try. I already have 4 or 5 of them to start with but just need to get the wiring done. I've stolen some of the bananna jacks off of it for the cynare, hehe.

Guitar Fuzz Lab

And here's the obligatory pic of the pre-owned Alesis Ion I just got and am super stoked about! AND, coincidentally, it has a very cool sounding drive effect onboard. Smile

Alesis Ion

Resources about Op Amp Buffers:

http://www.bcae1.com/opamp.htm
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/ControlVoltageDist/ControlVoltageDist.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_amplifier

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 3 [63 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: