electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
X-4046 VCO Page is Up
Page 2 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
slacker

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This looks and sounds great, thanks for sharing it chaps. I'll definitely have a go at building it.
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
scott, it's great to see the boards was of use for you. Very Happy

Danno Gee Ray wrote:
If either of you decided to market a PCB with an accompanyaing tested chip I would buy the set.

i won't. i think magic smoke would be the right place for such a PCB/IC set!?

Good enough then. I had hopes of seeing a PCB coming out for it from you but no matter. Smile (You've had great pricing for them with other things.)

I'll do a layout for myself once I'm ready to test one of them. (Presuming my 4046 collection fall into the 'good' category.)
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just letting the community know I'd buy the pcb and tested chip as a set. Not trying to create any problems. Bottom line, It's a Thomas Henry. I'd buy it from whomever Thomas decides to sell it thruogh.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I was just letting the community know I'd buy the pcb and tested chip as a set. Not trying to create any problems. Bottom line, It's a Thomas Henry. I'd buy it from whomever Thomas decides to sell it through.

Dan, it did not sound like you were creating any problems at all Cool

This circuit is so small, would be better off on a perf board any way. Why wait for a board? A couple headers and some sockets and you done in an evening.

Bill
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alrighty then. I will have to look uto this when I get back from vacation.

Perfboard is a friend. As are you bill, thanks.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Alrighty then. I will have to look uto this when I get back from vacation.

Perfboard is a friend. As are you bill, thanks.

Thanks Dan. I have your address. I will send you some MC14046 chips that allegedly are good Wink I have the perfect Pad-Per-Hole perf board for you as well. hell, you gave me such a great deal on those Speak and Spells at the last festival, it's the least I can do man !!

Bill
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally remembered to go and check my stock of 4046's ...

Unhappily, I found that I have 5 x Texas Instruments 4046's ...
BUT, I DO have at least 3 x National Semiconductor 4046's. (Possibly 2 more in my 1st Liquid HiHat version. If so, I'll replace them with the TI ones.)

Still ... that's 3 voices I can build right away. Woohoo! Very Happy
Danno Gee Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill, very kind of you.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry I haven't been across these developements guys. I've been a bit lost in XP-to-Win7 world.
Looks like a great little project. Very Happy

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are you liking Win 7, Uncle K? I actually have had pretty good luck with it so far.

Here's a sample I recorded today, off and on, of the X-4046 VCO being piped through the TH filter I'm doing the page on. The only sound that doesn't come from the VCO is the noise hit (the noise comes from my DSC2000 module).

I used my breadboarded X-4046 VCO and the Fonik PCB for the sync sounds, otherwise it's just a single X-4046 VCO. And, of course, the filter....

http://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/MP3/vcf-1_comp.mp3

I snuck the recording of it in between Fourth of July things, and mixed it tonight. Typical Stites sausage finger, but it still kinda sets me back thinking a 4046 can do this kind of stuff....

Cheerios,
Scott

Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice Scott! A good thing to wake up to this morning instead of the crap my local DJ usually plays on the radio! Wink
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott

An excellent piece of work. Good melody and bass line. Nice departure from your more abstract works. I would like to hear a more abstract composition for your not example. I would also like to showcase this VCO and your works on the EM radio please. Very Happy

Thanks and belated Happy 4th there Scott.

PS: Just got the MS Windows 7 Professional for my laptop. I hear very good things also so it;s really time to get rid of Vista 64 on this thing. Wink
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting,but where is the pcb layout?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Interesting,but where is the pcb layout?

Hi TekniK

Fonik has done one but for prototype purposes with the guys. I believe I read is is without the sine function out. There is talk about Magic Smoke doing a board (or a suggestion anyways) but nothing is firm. I am sure something will show up after all, it was JUST released.

I would do one if anyone gave me the go ahead (not likely -- but I am FAST and get things out there quickly!) but would like to prototype it first just to check a few things for myself.

Bill
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill - if you came about to do the PCB and they weren't too much money ($10?), I'd immediately order 5 of them! That would save me laying the out myself in my hack'em / slash'em sorta way. Laughing

Scott! That sounded farging AMAZING! I am SO glad that I have at least 3 of the GOOD 4046's! So many projects going on at the moment, but with myself FINALLY back to composing after almost 5 years of building, I need more voices for my modular, asap! That's especially why I've loved seeing Thomas release THIS! Wholey krykee! Surprised Surprised
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
How are you liking Win 7, Uncle K? I actually have had pretty good luck with it so far.

It's actually really good. A little dozey at times, but I think that's my 1G of RAM (just ordered 2*2G) and system settings which I'm working my way through.
Windows definitely has faults, that's for sure, but with very capable people all over the world writing rock solid support documents, it's just sooo easy to get everything on target.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, guys!

I'll work on something abstract next, Bill. I'll have to fire up the Appendage. then use my ribbon controller, too. Laughing

Man, it's been over a year I think since I sat down to record anything other than a few examples of what I've been working on here and there.

Cheerio,
Scott

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill - if you came about to do the PCB and they weren't too much money ($10?), I'd immediately order 5 of them! That would save me laying the out myself in my hack'em / slash'em sorta way.

Understood Ryk, but I have to be careful not to step on any toes. It's not my call so we will see if Tim from Magic Smoke will be doing such a project.

Scott: Great on the abstract piece !! Can I use your other tune on a radio show and talk about the VCO? If you do an abstract piece, I could perhaps use that also. Wink

Bill
widdly

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great stuff. Thanks Thomas and Scott. I'm going to build this on perf tonight.

A few questions...

Would switching a larger capacitor in parallel with C3 allow for an LFO mode?

If I left out the sine circuit, am I correct to assume that the Pulse output circuit could be connected to the saw output instead?

I always have trouble getting 500k pots locally. Would a 1M pot work for the Rampoid skew control (R53)? If not I'm assuming I could just replace the 500k pot with a 500k resistor and leave out the rampoid.

Last edited by widdly on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
adambee7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this really is going to be a real winner. The sound of the rampoid is just pure heaven. I've just bought a load of perf board and i've got Ray Wilson's transistor matcher on stripboard so time to get busy. Very Happy Very Happy
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott

So far, as I see it, the following IC brands have tracked the best:

National CD4046
Fairchild CD4046
Motorola MC14046

I have just fired off (5) RCA CD4046 PLL chips to you in the mail this afternoon. Perhaps the current list of X-4046 VCO compatible IC's will grow. Cool Please give these a try on your PC board.

Bill
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now here's a question ... once I complete my PCB for this VCO ... would it be considered 'poo poo' potentially, to post it for everyone? (Just in case someone else is working on one.)
My PCBs are not the neatest and tidiest but ... they've been gettin' stuff workin' for me. Smile
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rykhaard,

I can't speak for Tom and Scott, but traditionally Tom has offered both artwork and finished pcbs with Midwest Analog Products. It certainly won't stop me from buying a finished board as I've given up etching and drilling my own....too many projects and I need to maximize my time.

I would suggest dropping a PM to TH and ask for permission before posting regardless.

PS: My kids (16 and 20) love your demo videos!

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
Rykhaard,

I can't speak for Tom and Scott, but traditionally Tom has offered both artwork and finished pcbs with Midwest Analog Products. It certainly won't stop me from buying a finished board as I've given up etching and drilling my own....too many projects and I need to maximize my time.

I would suggest dropping a PM to TH and ask for permission before posting regardless.

Thank by golly YOU're thinking today! Smile (I should haven't been able to ponder that myself but ... the heat / humidity here ... sorta wipes y'out. Confused )

VERY good point Dan! Aye. I'll keep it to myself and forum then. I myself am not doing it for profit (as with anything else I do), but I wouldn't wish to step on Thomas's toes either, by a LONG shot. Surprised

Thank you greatly, for pointing that out! Smile As I'd said earlier on my forum, even if I've already designed my own - if someone else comes out with a nice one for $10 or less, I'll buy a bunch of them. Smile Saves me making more, myself.

Quote:

PS: My kids (16 and 20) love your demo videos!

Ex'lent! Thankee for clueing me in on THAT one as well! Very Happy (Big smile, obiously. Laughing ) There'll be more coming. One idea I had that's gotten positive feedback is to do instructional videos for Lunetta machinery. Haven't begun planning them out yet but they ARE mentally, in the works. Smile Just don't know when yet ...
Thomas_Henry

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heya, Rykhaard,

Sure, go ahead and post your artwork here. That would be a real time-saving aid for the rest of the gang. Keep Scott posted as well; he'd probably want to include links to it in his write-up.

And thanks!

Thomas Henry
Page 2 of 7 [175 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: