electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Buchla Source of Uncertainty 266
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 10 [229 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

forbin wrote:
page 4 of this thread has some info on this including something that you need to bear in mind....

Ah yes, I missed that... I scanned the thread for the link I wanted to post and couldn't find it but didn't check for the AVR solution.
And thanks for the remark about the output voltage range. That should also be addressed with the PIC solution.
beautyofdecay_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
I have plans to merge the 4 pcb's onto 2 pcb's buchla format.
Its possible to do.

That would just be great! I also want to mount the PCBs behind a Buchla style panel. That is still possible with 4 PCBs but 2 would be nicer.
Would that be 2 100x160mm PCBs?
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

beautyofdecay_ wrote:
TekniK wrote:
I have plans to merge the 4 pcb's onto 2 pcb's buchla format.
Its possible to do.

That would just be great! I also want to mount the PCBs behind a Buchla style panel. That is still possible with 4 PCBs but 2 would be nicer.
Would that be 2 100x160mm PCBs?

It surely would be great because with the size how they are now you can't built them behind a buchla panel (one 0f the 4 pcb's is to large)

i think 100x160 is just a bit to big for an easy fit in a buchla boat.

but its a huge work everything have to be redrawed
cbm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
i think 100x160 is just a bit to big for an easy fit in a buchla boat.

A Buchla panel is 4.25" by 7" (roughly 107.95 x 177.8 mm). Figure the mounting rails burn .4" on the top and bottom for a usable height of 6.2" (157.48 mm) and a usable width of 4" (101.6 mm).

This means that these boards are really close to fitting. While it would be better if the board was a hair shorter, I bet that even with the 160 mm board dimension, a module based on these boards could be "rocked in" to a Buchla cabinet.

TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

indeed we want a perfect fit,not rock'n'roll Smile
cbm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The actual opening in a Buchla boat is about 6.5" (165.1 mm) so it's just pretty tight, not really tight. Smile
TekniK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok thanks for the info Chris Cool
forbin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is not completely true to the original (but it does seem the way that Don's designs are going these days). I was looking at rolling QRV & SRV sections of this into a dsPIC and a DAC + a little bit of support. I have built these boads and they work well but there is a little bit of tweeking that can push them a little bit further. They only need to work to 40kHz and the dsPIC is hardly breaking into a sweat at these speeds. I really doubt that this is going to change the "character" of the outputs at all... I had rather cheekily intended to call it the "Sauce of Uncertainty" I would make two of the boards into one that is about 1/2 to 1/3 of their current size....
TekniK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

forbin wrote:
I "Sauce of Uncertainty"

haha,excellent!
L-1

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: 266 in 3U size Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have built 266 in 3U size. Device works well. Thanks all people this tread for help!

P1090356.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.38 KB
 Viewed:  2628 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P1090356.JPG

P1090355.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.67 KB
 Viewed:  2752 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

P1090355.JPG

vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats! I hope it delivers beautiful chaos for your music.
L-1

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi vtl5c3! Thank you for provided layouts but i have found some errors on pcb1 and pcb4. See images below.

266_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.19 KB
 Viewed:  38037 Time(s)

266_1.jpg

266_4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.96 KB
 Viewed:  38037 Time(s)

266_4.jpg

mph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I am not sure of what I've read exactly but I think FunkyFarm talked about modding this module to use it with 1V/Oct instead of 1,2V/Oct...

Does it conern CV inputs and outputs? or only CV outputs?

I will use it with Yusynth modules and ACX midi to CV converter... which are all 1V/Oct.

And could a simple voltage divider do the job?
I was told to use a 2K resistor and a 10K connected to ground like this one below.

Capture-3.png
 Description:
simple voltage divider
 Filesize:  6.69 KB
 Viewed:  37764 Time(s)

Capture-3.png

Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where can I purchase some of these pre-programmed noise PICs?

Edit: Got a couple of MNs and one FRV board is up and working. Thanks a bunch! (I'd still buy a PIC or two to replace the MNs if anything comes up.)

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...almost a year later....

Sorry it's taken me this long to follow up. I checked the layouts, and I have to disagree about PCB1. The CD4070 (orCD4030) should work just fine in the orientation that I have in my layout. The pin numbers are different from Buchla's schematic, but the x-or sections will still work as required.

You are correct about PCB 4. I've fixed the mistakes and will upload the new pdfs in a moment.

L-1 wrote:
Hi vtl5c3! Thank you for provided layouts but i have found some errors on pcb1 and pcb4. See images below.
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently finished a 266-4 sample and hold from the corrected layout and can verify that it works (& is great!)

The funny thing is, almost nothing I have seems to be able to clock it. It really digs the clock out from my Blacet Binary Zone, but thats about it. The clock from the BZ is 0-15V.

Does anyone know offhand what this is expecting for a trigger level? BTW, my 208 Uncorrelated Random Voltages seem a lot less finicky about what I goose it with.

I'm curious to hear others experiences...
vtl5c3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you might need to change some resistor values at the pulse input make it more sensitive. I can't remember what values I changed on mine, but it now triggers off 5 V pulses if needed.
Photon

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I'd be interested to know what the substitutions are. Very Happy
davebr

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Buchla 266 Source of Uncertainty Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in the process of building another PCB version of this module but I am making changes for +/-5V inputs and various parts substitutions. I am also taking a lot of scope images of the various functions as I analyze each circuit. I just finished up the stored random voltages. Details and photos are on my 266 webpage http://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buchla266/266sou.htm. I also have a 2U MOTM-style panel design (that is very tight) shown on that page.

[EDIT - I finished building the 266 PCBs and have lots of details on operation and output waveforms and levels on the page. I also modified it for 5V inputs and outputs.]

Dave

[EDIT - added finished picture]
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
synesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Everyone,

I got a set of those boards-but no build doc.

I see there is the part per boards across this thread, but is there actually a full BOM?

If so where can I find it?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which version of the PCBs did you buy? Roman's recent spin? Which format?

I've built the 5U PCBs from Synthcube, so I could advise there if that's what you have.
synesthesia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually have the press and peel 4xPCB version from this thread Smile
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There we go...

I"ll go sit back down now Wink
memorygardens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what changes need to be made to make this work in MOTM. I know the cv voltage needs to be changed, but how?
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most of what you need is in Dave Brown's writeup:

http://modularsynthesis.com/roman/buchla266/266sou.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 9 of 10 [229 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: