electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
I was thinking about FLOWCODE4 to build a PIC step sequencer
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
warpboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: I was thinking about FLOWCODE4 to build a PIC step sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello,
I whish to design a sequencer with four channels each with 16 steps.
Basically like a drum box sequencer.
I've downloaded a demo of Flowcode for Pic but this version is limited.
I want to be sure that this is the good choice before buying flowcode.
I'm a beginner with and I'm searching for a simple programming software.
any suggestion is welcomed..

thank you
Warpboy
warpboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

other informations about the sequencer :

I need only gate signals for each step (no frequency adjust)

I want to use only 16 temporary pushbuttons used for the 4 tracks of the sequencer.
I have to store 4 binary strings of 16 values. (value= 0 or 1 ----> don't play or play sound)

outputs of the sequencer= 4 gates signals to drive 4 Drum sounds...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Warpboy.

Had a look at flowcode, but could not quickly find proper documentation - like what programming constructs are supported and what code is generated from it. It seems mostly just a graphical wrapper around C which could be both good news and bad news - good news as you can always look at the C code it generates and go on from there .. bad news as it may merely distract from programming ... but then again .. i could not find proper documentation.

What I could not find either ... does it bring its own C compiler or does it need the Microchip (or a 3rd party C compiler) - there may be some cost involved with that too.

Also you'll want some development tool - at the very least some programmer that'll allow you to program your PIC on the board you'll make.

It may be a tad expensive.

I think that the true learning curve here is not in learning a program language, but in learning how to set up a system like you want it to build - IE how will you interface to your buttuns, how do you set up your program to read the buttons, how to store patterns and recall them and how to get it to play at a constant tempo without hickups.

Anyway .. just some thoughts that came up here.

warpboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello and thank you for your reply Wink
my real problem is to be a full beginner in programming....

I'm searching for the simpliest way to build my sequencer, I have started looking at ucapps.
If I can obtain my 4 gates signals at outputs and connecting 16 switches to the inputs working with internal or external clock, it would be nice...

I have to learn more, i think!!!!!
locoder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: sequencer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi have you considered using AVR the programming software is free, all you will have to do is buy either a programming cable or build one, and of course get a device to play around with.
May I suggest futurelec electronics, I am in Australia and I have purchased a couple of there devices whats great too is they have adapter boards so it becomes like electronic lego, its cheap, 28 USD for a atmel Mega128 I would suggest buying one of those as they have heaps of IO and for a beginner you will have plenty of code space also I think 128k AVR is fast you put in 16MHz you get code that executes at that speed, I think PIC is clock speed/4, I have used PIC they are both good. I think for a beginner the AVR is better its easier to understand?
I could also help you with your code for your sequencer, what you want to do is very simple, I have just finished a replacement sequencer for the TR606 so I can give you lots of pointers, do you want to program in C or assembler? I am good at both thats if you want some help?
here is the link for the processor I recommend if you go this way
http://www.futurlec.com.au/ATMega_Controller.jsp
look under there "interface boards" and "mini boards" for modules that will plug into this board
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about MBed http://mbed.org/

Uses an online compiler so you don't have to sort one out yourself.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or maybe something like this: http://www.tinyclr.com/hardware/16/fez-panda/

This uses the language C# and .NET, the dev environment is free as well.

For doing a little sequencer one of these would be pretty good.
warpboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello,
Waouh... thank you for all these infos. I'll forget Flowcode, I think this is the first thing to do ( keep money in my pocket=>cool
I'll have a look at AVR components, tinyclr.com and mbed.org
It seems there are plenty of helpfull infos

I will not miss to give you some news of the sequencer Wink
fabien
locoder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Programming Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Warp Boy, I found that learning assembly language first made me a much better programmer, thats my observation, others may disagree, however after doing assembly language and moving to C I could visualize what I was doing much more easily etc, and I became very good at C very quickly.
you will also have the ability to optimize your code in assembly also? thats of course if you want to do more programming after your sequencer?
warpboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello,
Quote:

thats of course if you want to do more programming after your sequencer?

exactly locoder ! I'll not stop after buiding my sequencer. I have built a MFOS 16 step seq last summer...now I want to make my own Twisted Evil

Wboy
Boogdish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just got started with PICs this year. Before that, I had never programmed anything other than very very basic html.

I got this book:
http://www.amazon.com/PIC-Practice-David-W-Smith/dp/0750648120

a cheap USB based programmer from Hong Kong

and I use MPLAB IDE which Microchip provides for free to compile/test code in.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: