electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
-Sneak Peak-
Page 1 of 6 [143 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
1:11

Audio files: 109

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: -Sneak Peak-
Subject description: Inventor and 111's First Synth Prototype
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the first completed Prototype of a Synth Inventor and i have been working on. Inventor designed the circuit, and i concentrated on the interface.

Intuitive control of Music Making Machines has always been my priority. The smoother the interaction between man and machine, the easier it is to express feeling. Stopping to scroll through menus or turning lots of knobs sometimes interrupts the creative process. Not to mention the learning curve.

The Joystick is familiar to everyone, and everyone know how to use it. Push a button, something happens, push up on the stick, and there's an "up" action. This synth is no different.

--Stick controls -Pitch
--Grey Lever controls -Resonance
--2 Knobs on Base controls- Tempo and Tone
--Trigger Buttons on Stick control Various Modulation/Sequences and in the next version, Effects
--LED shows tempo
--Audio In Jack
--Audio Out Jack (in place of the original cord)
--Runs on 9Volt with plans to switch to rechargeable
--Entirely Portable and Self Contained

Inventor can explain the circuit, but i think he's already written about it here.

This is my first hand built synth, and i am Hooked (but very exhausted) shakng2 Got so busy, i forgot about Live48 (Yikes!).

Many Thanx for Inventor's Patience.

Here's pictures of it, and an MP3 of the first time i played it.

What do you guy/girls think?

IMG_0003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.3 MB
 Viewed:  614 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.29 MB
 Viewed:  614 Time(s)

IMG_0005.jpg

Stick1 MP3.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Stick1 MP3.mp3
 Filesize:  2.32 MB
 Downloaded:  1170 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1:11, I think you are a true visionary. It's such a simple concept, yet it does so much for the electronics. Rather than "building a box", which is largely what I wanted to do, you've intuitivized the whole control experience for the customer. And I'll mention one thing you told me: when you showed it to a test audience of college students, they went nuts over the thing! Well done.

As to the circuitry, only those who know me well will have pieced together the circuit, but everyone pretty much knows i'm all about the BS and KS circuits that make up this design. Now, actually it does not sound as good as the day it left the factory of my living room, I suspect that the loop filter is adjusted too small in time constant or something like that because it's very digital and glitchy compared to the normal KS sounds that I get. But that's OK, we can refine it or leave it as-is if folks like that 8-bit-ness that it has, slightly digitalized.

For a sample of something more along the lines of what can be accomplished in this product, see this thread:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-45997-25.html

And scroll down to my set. That's got a tripple KS which is more than we need for this project, but it shows another flavor of what can be accomplished in a game controller like this.

I also envision all kinds of synth sound packages as other product options for the consumers to enjoy.

In summary, I'll say that the only thing I don't like about working with 1:11 is having to keep my big mouth shut because I'm just filled with excitement and joy at all that is being accomplished and the potential of our ideas working together. So I'll raise a coffee toast to my new friend and business partner, 1:11, may we both enjoy the process and make the world a better place in some small way.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

edit: just seen your post, cool Very Happy Postin @ d same time

How It Sounds

There's 2 MP3's posted above. Inventors is above, and mine is below the pictures. But let me try to put into words......

It seems to act like there are 2 modes, like when the circuit has more power going through it, the sound becomes heavy and saturated (much like the MS Series from Korg).
Then when there seems to be less of power running through, it becomes the opposite.....like an open air ringing moster echo thing.
i can't really describe that side...but it's rather unique in nature. A metallic, airy, echoey modulated bizzareness. This synth would be perfect for Monster Movies (and for my music)!!

The synth will switch between these 2 modes, and can do so quickly, creating strange pulses. You can hold on to either of these two states indirectly from the stick.
If you push forward to raise the pitch, the synth "pulses" into saturation, and becomes metallic. If you keep your pitch movements slight, you can hold on to the resonance and ride it for awhile.
Dropping the stick down quickly, you are able to have the same effect but at lower pitch.
To have the airy echoey metallic effect, you just let the stick go natural and wait for it to happen. Giving the joystick slight movements from center, you can ride that.

i prefer the heavy saturated effect. It sounds thick, gritty, and the triggers seem to work better.
The buttons are set to trigger various values in the Boolean Sequencer. i call em the "Bounce Buttons".

You can also coax a feedback ringing sound, a feedback squeal, that can be controlled by the stick. To To turn it off, or adjust how much squeel, you move the large grey lever on the base of the joystick.

Inventor has done a great job with this interesting circuit!! This synth is unique. While you're NOT going to be able to use it to make Glitzy Pop Hits, this synth is Perfect for what i like. This synth has it's OWN character that's unlike any other.

What i provided on MP3 in the first post, is the heavy saturation side i was talking about.
Inventor has demonstrated the other "side" of the sounds as part of his Shows/and above.

Last edited by 1:11 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh I see, 1:11, you were using just one mode of what the thing can do. Yes, using just pots and software sliders, I can only capture so much of the sound but with an intuitive interface more subtle control gestures can lead to big changes in the sound. I am EXCITED about this in a big way! I foresee a long and productive working relationship and lots of creative products being developed. Thanks buddy.

Les

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a cool project! Smile Like many brilliant things, it seems so obvious now that you've shown it.

/Stefan

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool
nobody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After listening to 1:11's sample...

Nice! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can definitely see using this in my own work.

WTG, Les and 1:11! May your collaboration be blessed!
mrcold

Audio files: 31

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome

freakin awesome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanx for the compliments!!

i'd like to point out that there are still 4 more functions available on the board that are yet to be wired. Also, the Left/Right control on the Stick isn't configured yet (broken pot on the used stick), so it even has more potential than the samples portray!! It's quite an interesting board, i just keep getting deeper and deeper into it! Very Happy

We're beginning work on a second protoytpe, experimenting with different configurations/features. Once we got it down, we'll be offering a limited run for sale for anyone interested.

Time to go to school.....
(personal note, i lucked out!! My Recording Class Teacher is an Experimental Noise Freak Cool and i've turned him on to the site) i'll be around more during Spring Break.
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

props

Very cool.The DIY noise boys up in Cleveland would absolutely die for this.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and there's so much more to talk about also. One thing is that I'm trying to make the circuit bendable. There's a lot of room for changing resistor and capacitor values, swapping chips, and even a little boolean sequencer patch panel (or resistor array, have not decided).

I learned from Mathe (electri-fire) (where did he go?) who wanted bending features in the KS board, so now I'm including those features in this product. That way people with only beginner's knowledge can both learn and craft their own unique sound by experimentation.

If 1:11 agrees, I plan to write a brief description of this, sort of a circuit bender's guide. That just might help this thing take off in the DIY world.

Les

nobody

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1:11 wrote:

We're beginning work on a second protoytpe, experimenting with different configurations/features. Once we got it down, we'll be offering a limited run for sale for anyone interested.

Me! Me! *waves madly*

Only potential problem is the fact that I may be spending a shitload of my limited money on my car today to fix a coolant problem (PLEASE let it NOT be the head gasket). But still very interested in buying one.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:

Me! Me! *waves madly*

Only potential problem is the fact that I may be spending a shitload of my limited money on my car today to fix a coolant problem (PLEASE let it NOT be the head gasket). But still very interested in buying one.

This is up to 1:11 of course as he is doing all financials, but I'm sure that we can make some arrangement to get a prototype in your hands, Damien.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

audiodef wrote:

Me! Me! *waves madly*

Cool, you got dibs on a tester unit!! (im guessing Audio is Damien)
This ones on me, yes...free!! Cool

But you have to do the following:

-Post a thread describing how the Prototype plays
-Post an Audio Recording of you using it
-Provide Honest feedback of Improvements you'd like to see

i will also be providing one unit for folks here to Borrow for Testing.

Rules are the same as above, along with:
-You must be an active member of EM.com who Posts often
-Must mail the Prototype to the next member on the list

First come, first served. First on the list: PyroSonic!!
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Thanques.

Looking forward to it.

nobody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AWESOME!

jackson dancing

You can count on me to comply with the requirements. Very Happy

I guess I should PM you my address then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, Looking forward to hearing your Feedback, guys!!

Once we got some ready to go, i'll hit you up for your address.
i'm preparing controllers now, but we need to give Inventor some time to get settled in his new place to begin building the new Boards. i can't speak for him, but i'm thinking by the end of the month they'll be ready to go.

Also been picking out new switches, the RadioShack Rocket Launcher ones aren't very comfortable, and look like....well, a rocket launcher!! Confused

Question: Would having 2 Oscillators be a Big difference (over 1)?
i'm wondering if 2 Osc's would make the sticks overly complicated...

i've always been happy with the MS-10 over the 20. Keep it simple...but i'm wondering what other musicians think.
nobody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I vote for two oscs, but I do agree that often simplicity is best.

If I get one by the end of the month - and no rush on Les (moving's a drag, but I hope it's a good deal for Les) - I could include it in my Spring Equinox set.
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More oscillators is always better in my book.

And...

Whut chew got aginst rokit lawncherz???

Laughing

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm working on prototype 2 in a few days (waiting on a shipment of small breadboards). Then when 1:11 approves the design I'll send out a circuit board batch and populate some of them. This may take a bit more than a month actually.

Fortunately my moving date has been delayed so I am hoping to squeeze in the small run of prototype 3 BEFORE the move! That's good for the schedule of the project cause things will happen sooner.

Will keep you all posted,

Les

nobody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shazam, Les!

I can envision experimental/electronica buffs sitting in parks playing with these. I can even see stick-synth jams happening. Could be a nice little cult, without the usual negative implications of "cult". Wink
pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you're sitting on a park bench playing with one of these on your lap,chances are the police will come over towards you thinking you're...um...doing something else completely different. Laughing
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:
If you're sitting on a park bench playing with one of these on your lap,chances are the police will come over towards you thinking you're...um...doing something else completely different. Laughing

"Disturbing the peace"? Wink

/Stefan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pyrosonic wrote:

LOL!! i have to admit, i've felt a lil dirty playing it on the bus!!
i'd get these looks of concern from this lady...i imagine from her view (seat blocking my lower half) i was getting hardcore wanky!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Most the time, i'm sitting at a bench at school, and i'll get asked, "UM, where's your computer?" Like i was playing an invisible video game or something.

Audio: Stick Jams!! i was thinking the same thing!! i want to put a speaker in the bottom for that very reason. Freakin Joystick Orchestra!! Very Happy

Hmm. Looks like we need to figure out a way to easily control 2 Osc's.
Any ideas/suggestions how to configure the stick to do this? Like, Maybe simple controls for 1, and complex for the other...or 2 that are synched?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, figured out how to control 2 osc's easily.

Most of these sticks have a hatswitch/secondary stick on top.

THIS will control the second Osc!!

IMG_0001.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.53 MB
 Viewed:  361 Time(s)

IMG_0001.JPG

Page 1 of 6 [143 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: