electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
ipad question
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Banjo

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: ipad question
Subject description: Running more than one app at a time
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About a month or two ago, I was watching a video demonstrating an app I was considering getting for my itouch. I cannot remember which one it was. Sample Wiz I think. In the video, it was being used with another app. THe best I can describe it, was it was kind of rewired into it. Either the notes being played on one app were generating the sound on the other or visa versa. Also I cannot remember if the audio was being recorded in the other app as well.

After hearing ipads in action at E.M. 2011, and watching them in action on Youtube, I am seriously considering getting one around Christmas if I can convince my wife that I need one.She does not understand why I need so many wires that are just sitting in a bin or lying around the computer/music room. Her response will be as you can guess, what do you need that for when you have all of that other gear? In her defense, she has a great voice, and does pretty well with a guitar also.

My question is for the ipad owners here, is how much interactivity between apps is the ipad capable of between music apps? I mainly run music creation apps on my itouch.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An iPad is designed to be battery friendly. With some exceptions. there is very little multitasking and AFAIK certainly not any Rewire functionality like you have on your computer. If you are running a "portastudio" style app then that is what is running. The Moog Animoog solved some "problems" by integrating recording in the app.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The interactivity between apps on the iPad is still in its infancy. More and more apps are starting to work in the background but not so much the DAW programs. There are two things that really need to work in the background - the app needs to produce audio and it also needs to be able to send/receive MIDI. The latter is done using virtual midi ports. Typically with something like Meteor you need to have your synth app - say Animoog - ready to go and then bring Meteor to the foreground and run it. Since Meteor can transmit MIDI to a virtual port, you can play Meteor and Animoog at the same time. I just ran a test because I was under the impression that you couldn't record from the synth app direclty to Meteor, however it seemed to record the stereo output back onto the track. So, it would seem that you could record the synth back into Meteor - just mute the tracks that have audio on them already... I plan on putting this to use later Very Happy For other DAWs you turn on the the record feature in Animoog you can record the performance, copy the recording to the DAW and insert it into a track. It's kind of clunky...actually very clunky - but it is possible. More of the synth apps are starting to run in the background and some MIDI apps like Genome will work in the background.

The limiting factor I believe is the power of the iPad. While the CPU may be enough it doesn't have enough operational memory to do what it needs to do with regards to a lot of multi-tasking audio apps. I think I saw somewhere the iPad 2 only had ~ 500 meg of memory - but I could be mistaken on that.

Still, you can make a lot of music with the iPad. You could certainly do an album on one. It's just going to be a different process then what you are probably used to doing.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The is a workaround for getting audio out back into the iPad. Crude, but it works. Use Y-connectors!

CoreMIDI is being worked on. It's almost there, but in my experience it's best to work with single applications such as Nanostudio and controller applications such as Soundprism with a sound engine running in the background. Apps like AniMoog already have powerful controllers as well as the sound engine built in. The technology isn't quite there yet, but it's eons ahead of anything by Microsoft or Android.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
You could certainly do an album on one. It's just going to be a different process then what you are probably used to doing.

I think that really does sum it up! Very Happy

Personally I prefer this way of working.

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the response guys. Even if the direct interaction between apps never gets fully implemented, the ipad still looks like a great tool. The apps on the i devices can make some serious sound. The fact that we can copy and paste bits and pieces between apps is not much different from exporting and importing between desktop programs now. It just takes less time on my itouch. Its good that it makes us think a bit differently at times to accomplish something that we are accustomed to doing on the desktop. Thats how we grow and come up with new ideas. I all too often get lost exploring a new creation while working on a project. So much so, that I wind up with lots of bits and pieces, but rarely finish them. Not that thats a bad thing, sooner or later they will get done. The y connector sounds like an interesting idea. When I get my ipad, I will definitely look into it. Thanks again.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took the plunge and have joined the iPad ranks. Man these things are beasts. I bought the Midibridge app this evening and it seems to be the answer to my getting apps to talk to each other. More than I had hoped for. When I have time I will have to experiment to find the ideal solution for recording the audio. As I have not had the time to explore the recording possibilities in depth yet, I will have to dig out my y adapter for possible future use. Will keep you all posted.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't forget to download the TC-11 modular synthesiser!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Don't forget to download the TC-11 modular synthesiser!

What Tom is trying to say is: Buy the damn app now!!!

...And he has a point..

Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh noooo, more peer pressure to buy another app!!

There is a lot I must learn about using the iPad, let alone the apps had from my old itouch. The TC-11 does not look impressive just from the screenshots in the app store, but watching the YouTube videos changes that. Imagine Phaedra driving Animoog while jamming with the TC-11.....

There is the angel on one side and the devil on the other trying to influence my decision to buy it now or wait until I learn the apps I have. In my case it is more like Homer Simpson and Hyacinth Bucket trying to influence my table manners.

Homer will win, and I will have another app to learn!!!
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: