electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
boss dr-110 trig mod
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
damj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: boss dr-110 trig mod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am new here and kind of new with electronics. I am modifying a dr-110 and I want to add both trig in and trig out for each sound.
As I understood it the dr-110 uses s-trig and I want to use normal gate.

The only idea I have figured out is to cut the cable between the analog and digital board for each sound and add a s-trig to v-trig converter between the out jack and the digital board and a v-trig to s-trig converter between the in jack and the analog board.
It doesn´t seem like the smartest solution... I have to build a lot of converters and I need to patch it to use the internal sequencer.

Surly someone here can come up with a better solution
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't have to be complicated. Two CD4049 inverting buffers should do it.

All but one of the '110 voices have the same triggering mechanism: a PNP transistor biased "off" until a low-going pulse from the uC pulls the base down. Simply invert the uC pulse for an active-hi trigger out, and invert your external triggers (which you are calling "gates",) and connect that to the PNP bases. Duplicate the top left circuit three times for OH, CH and CY and that's one 4049.

The Snare is a little trickier because it's made up of three sounds: VCA'ed noise, a triggered ringing oscillator, and the trigger itself as "Impact." The added 33k and .002 cap handle the external Impact portion. BD (Kick) is the simplest to deal with.

CLap is a special situation because it isn't just one trigger, but a burst of three, plus another some time after them. You decide how you want to deal with them.

You WON'T be able to fit this inside the '110 case.

triggers.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.66 KB
 Viewed:  669 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

triggers.gif

roglok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, Richard! I have a DR-110 with a broken CPU board lying around and never managed to trigger the snare properly...

It would be awesome to find a simple way (preferrably analog) to make the timing and amount of clap trigger-bursts adjustable from the front panel - Simmons Clap Trap style...

When I find the time, I'm gonna get back to this and probably rack it up as a euro module...
richardc64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

roglok wrote:
Awesome, Richard! I have a DR-110 with a broken CPU board lying around and never managed to trigger the snare properly...

One thing...the external triggers should be of similar duration to the original: 1mS to no longer than 5mS or so. As the trigger gets longer, the inherent "thump" of the one-transistor VCAs becomes more noticeable. Also, the ringing, damped oscillators of the Snare shell and Bass will trigger on a falling or rising edge. Make the trigger(s) too long and you'll get two sounds per trigger, instead of only one -- which now that I think of it might be useful!

To ensure that external triggers produce short pulses you could put a cap before the 4069 input, selecting the value for that and the pull down resistor to produce a suitable duration. I use this: http://hughestech.com/rc_calculator/

Quote:
It would be awesome to find a simple way (preferrably analog) to make the timing and amount of clap trigger-bursts adjustable from the front panel - Simmons Clap Trap style...

Umm...I have an idea that would do that, but don't want to say anymore until I actually try it -- and there's no telling when THAT would be. Maybe saying that it would use a CD4538 dual retriggerable monostable multivibrator and a gated schmitt oscillator is enough of a hint for someone else to try it.

damj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Richard, it does not look to difficult, I think (hope) I can get it to work...
roglok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Also, the ringing, damped oscillators of the Snare shell and Bass will trigger on a falling or rising edge.

Right! I remember this from the 808 BD clone. The triggers from my 606 would retrigger the kick, because they have a small negative peak after the initial falling edge...

I got the fix from Eric Archer's page, which is basically the same as your suggestion:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
j.dilisio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just adding trigger inputs on my Dr-110 so I can have midi control.
It seems like I can do all voices with just one CD4049 if I just use a single trigger rather than a burst for the Clap.
I figure, a software retrigger would have the same effect.

So, would I just split the clap trigger from the 4049 with two diodes and connect to the same resistor junction as the OH, CH, CY triggers?

richardc64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j.dilisio wrote:
So, would I just split the clap trigger from the 4049 with two diodes and connect to the same resistor junction as the OH, CH, CY triggers?

No. The CPii trigger has to occur after any multiple pulses on CPi, otherwise it just sounds like one over-loud Clap. I tried it by manipulating DR-110 samples using an audio editor called Wavosaur.

A single trigger at CPi (the upper, "burst" portion of the cicuit,) sounds sort of like a hand clap -- if one uses some imagination. A trigger at CPii (the lower, "reverb" circuit,) sounds like a gunshot. Both circuits triggered at the same time just sounds like a single clap with fake reverb. To confirm that assessment I tried it on a REAL DR-110. (My efforts at cloning were taking too long and not going well, so I gave up and bought one.)

However, a single pulse instead of a burst on CPi, followed by a delayed pulse on CPii sounds more like how we'd like hand claps to sound. A circuit to do that should be fairly simple: A one-shot that pulses on the trigger leading edge, and another that pulses on the trailing edge. The trigger duration would have to be long enough that there would be a discernible delay between the first and second pulse.

(And roklok, more pulses in the burst just sounds like more hands clapping. Spacing them out sounds like a machine gun burst and a single pistol shot back -- which is a shame: I was hoping it'd sound like a Güiro.)

Another idea, which would only work if the '110 digital board is fully functional, is to put an analog switch In/Out on the terminals of the DR-110 Clap button. This would produce a genuine full DR-110 Clap. (One might be tempted to do something like that for all the voice buttons, but because the matrix doesn't have a diode for every button there could be conflicts trying to get two or more voices to sound simultaneously.)

Lastly, there's Dan Lavin's PICAXE solution in the DR-110 Modifications thread. That'd be a learning experience.

clap_trigs.gif
 Description:
Note that the collector for Q15 Q16 is the center leg.
 Filesize:  9.17 KB
 Viewed:  503 Time(s)

clap_trigs.gif

more_spaced.gif
 Description:
for roglok
 Filesize:  18.43 KB
 Viewed:  653 Time(s)

more_spaced.gif

more_spaced.mp3
 Description:
created with Wavosaur

Download
 Filename:  more_spaced.mp3
 Filesize:  14.29 KB
 Downloaded:  1003 Time(s)

j.dilisio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided on the single trigger clap option.
It may not sound as juicy but it's still plenty useable.
Thanks for sharing all of this, Richard.
Much appreciated.
Here is a photo of mine with trigger inputs..
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
The hardest part was getting the case shut really. It took me a couple hours this morning.
I had it all wired up and then realized it wasn't going to fit so I had to start over.

I'm aiming to add trigger inputs on all my non-midi drum machines and build one of these..
http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p959_MIDI2SDS-16.html
as a control center with 16 trigger outs.
Cheers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: