electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Q-Memory Cards
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
namnibor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Q-Memory Cards
Subject description: Quest for Q-Memory Cards
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, I HAVE searched quite a bit on various forums, web-searches, and even called Noisebug here in the USA, whom had stocked Q-Cards preformatted for our beloved Q Synths, to no avail. Noisebug showed them in-stock actually on their website @ $49. each for the 256K card, but they are out of them and person I talked to had no idea when/if they would get more. I HAVE emailed WaldorfMusic.de support but thought the pragmatic thing to do was post my quest here of where I could get even just -1- and I am in the USA.
I have added a beautiful yellow Q Rack to my family and understand the synth is new to me because of the nature of my military career that more or less kept me in a time capsule from mid-90's to a few years ago and am no a recently Disabled Veteran and medically retired so have compiled a well armed synth-based home studio. I am NOT new to synthesis nor music--just the nature of the ops I am thankfully retired from, albeit medically, has now afforded the time to play catch-up and happily being a "bottom-feeder" of technology that many people have been selling their hardware going vsti....I love knobs and hardware but learning a DAW and am not tech-ignorant.
My reading has me understanding that ONLY the Q+ has the ability to format memory card and the suggested now-arcane memory card reader for such large cards to program/format so the Q recognizes there's a card inserted seem a bit of an impass....however, please correct/educate me if I am mistaken.
Are there "generic" memory cards like the ones used for like the Korg M1 or early incarnations of the Wavestation compatible? (MC03...or something like that)
Stromeko's website alluded to he used to carry Q-Cards but as of 2011 he posted that he no longer would be doing so since Waldorf was stocking them again--however, they are nowhere in Waldorf Store.
Thanks in advance for your time and sorry if this may be an :old-hat" queston addressed somewhere that I have missed!
Robert

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
namnibor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Waldorf support indeed replied to my quest by stating that ANY official Waldorf seller should be able to order the Q-Card memory cards for all versions of the Q.
About a week before Waldorf got back to me, Noisebug in Pomona, CA USA got back to me and I taked on phone with them as they had carried them but he needed to check with his Waldorf USA Rep and get back to me.
The day before Waldorf returned reply, Noisebug told me they had ordered 5 of them with me claiming 2 of them at $49.95 each. They confirmed they COME PRE_FORMATTED for the Q-series rather than having to know someone with the rare Q+ Synth, of which can format the cards right from the machine. I would love to just touch a Ruby Red Q+ but internet studio pics are more than likely the closest to that happening.
Thought to share this as a resolved issue and quest in the event enyone else may be looking for these. I DO find it stange so many people read this post but not one person replied even by private msg let alone to topic directly. Are so-called "Smartphones" making us not-so-much and perhaps communicative atrophy is taking place? Just a thought, as we musicians need to stick together in support as Cultural Creatives---something to think about!

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some hits are by search engines and other robotic web stuff ... others who read it, like me, just had no idea of what you were talking about .. or well .. in general terms I got the message ... but it is good to see you found what you need.
namnibor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Some hits are by search engines and other robotic web stuff ... others who read it, like me, just had no idea of what you were talking about .. or well .. in general terms I got the message ... but it is good to see you found what you need.

Yes, I should never assume everyone even on this Waldorf-specific forum area even KNOW or even played, touched, a Waldorf Q Synthesizer and thank you for posting this as it put things into perspective. Then the web search "hits", I did not even think of that.
20/20 hindsight tells me I should have posted my question to the official Waldorf "List".
Thanks again,
Robert

dougt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They are an industry standard known as a Smartcard. It should be possible to buy some cheap cards and a PC Smartcard reader/writer and make your own...
namnibor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougt wrote:
They are an industry standard known as a Smartcard. It should be possible to buy some cheap cards and a PC Smartcard reader/writer and make your own...

Thanks for your reply. I did already check-out that avenue and to be honest, with the Q being quite finicky about recognizing a proper format card (I have a yellow Q Rack...NOT a Q+ that actually formats said smart cards as you mentioned)...finding a smartcard reader/programmer that would work on either of my laptop or dedicated DAW beefed-up specs pc--both of which are WIN 7 64 bit, then take the possibility of messing something up in a no longer supported Q-synth that took me a while to finally acquire--it is well-worth the peace of mind paying $49.95 each for a card I know will work and having ordered two of them, I can always save via sysex dump created sounds and multi's and continue working that way. This also was the most inexpensive and pragmatic option, at least for me and my sanity. Sometimes when one purchases any cheap card-reader in this case, you get exactly what you pay for, plus associated problems of the unknown, of which, I value my Q too much to take that gamble. I thank you for trying to help and am sure someone else may find that a great path to take.
Robert

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Waldorf
Jump to: