electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Algortihmic compostional drivel
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Algortihmic compostional drivel
Subject description: The reports of the death of human composition are are greatly exaggerated.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found this BBC article on Music Evolution: is it the end of the composer? annoying enough that I felt compelled to post both on FB and here.

My response on FB
Quote:

Here's a load of crap that's trending. ""You can evolve music without a composer," he explains. "It's just a matter of market forces. It tells us that market forces - consumer choice - is itself a creative force, one that is actually much more important than we appreciate." Everything is a market force amenable to data mining. Except that it's not. I saw this kind of thinking when I interviewed at Google Labs a few years ago, where the hiring practices were seemingly driven by collective hive mentality that was substantially different from the Bell Labs practice of seeding in a healthy collection of smart misfits. Collectives breed away outliers, including the creative ones. This mentality goes hand-in-hand with the perspective that human cognition == emergent classical computation, but there is increasing formal evidence that quantum mechanisms play roles in cognition. If so, then classical machines will always bound themselves in ways that humans needn't.

When the semester is over I plan to write an article for the electro-music wiki about this business. I see this mentality at academic algorithmic composition etc. conferences, i.e., let's see how far we can get humans out of the loop. I guess it's experimentally interesting, but I have more than a strong suspicion that it's ultimately a dead end. I'm all for highly dimensional tools that help humans compose and improvise, but this notion that human cognition == classical statistical computation is, in my opinion, myopic crap.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This particular article didn't really say anything new - genetic algorithms have been around for a long time and of course you can make something interesting happen if you make people endure hours of mindless sound and select bits from it.

I do think you're overreacting a bit though. I for one think this stuff is interesting. Looking forward to the wiki article!

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can move the people in the process out one remove, but you can't remove them entirely. Unless there's a human there to judge what's "fit" for the genetic (or whatever) algorithm, then you won't get much of interest out of the system. Even if you were to use "the market" as the means of that judgement, you still have people in the process, although I'd argue that the average of many tastes so provided tends to be much more watered down and useless.

I can't remember the source for this quote, but I think it applies:

What is entirely predictable is boring. What is entirely unpredictable is chaos. In between lies Art.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:

I do think you're overreacting a bit though. I for one think this stuff is interesting. Looking forward to the wiki article!

I agree that statistical approaches are interesting. Scrabble-to-MIDI, for example, is statistical, but I find it useful as a musical instrument for novices in large part because the probabilistic distribution of letters go through the projections of human players in forming lexical structures and thence music.

The part that I find annoying, really, is that part that tends towards a "let the computers make the music, period." There is a trend in academic research towards autonomous algorithmic composition that I think is a dead end. I like a good generative machine, but I like it in my or someone's hands. I always tell my students to "own the computers, make them yours."

But, after all, I am an electro-banjo picker, and thus happily a misfit wherever I go.

L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electro-banjo? Horrible!!!
Wink

It is said that art lies in the eye of the beholder?
There are not yet machines for listening to music!
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A journalist (lowest form of life) writes another "science" fluff article for popular consumption.

This time an entomologist and a professor of unknown specialty theorize that music can evolve like a life form; from which the journalist leaps to the conclusion (a common media-olympics practice) that human composers will soon be obsolete.

The unqualified conclusion over-values the approval of the audience and under-values the inspiration of the artist. The evolutionary path of this exercise would take a far different and duller path than that blazed by human artists.

The average listener prefers neanderthal-beat pop junk to complexity and prefers familiarity to progressive new ideas.

A musical artist is typically more musically sophisticated and experienced than the average listener and does not use the juvenile taste of the latter as a guide. Artists' experiments are not mere random deviations, even if initially inspired by "accident."

However, the professors' elementary and rather stale idea could be useful for manufacturing lowest-common-denominator pop product for average and sub-average adolescents.

(Ow, my head. I criticized too hard and strained my brain.)

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
(Ow, my head. I criticized too hard and strained my brain.)

Touché!
(sorry for necrobump, just digging through stuff...)
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: