electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 sample playback.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: G2 sample playback.
Subject description: Online app for sample playback.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

link

Chrome or Firefox only, get latest if not sure. Works almost on IE10 but link wont save so useless.

Here we go. Alpha 0.1 of online audio sample to pch2 creator. Still a bit rough sorry.

Use the choose file button to select .bin, .wav, .aif(f) files. The program will accept uncompressed 8 bit bin files but has no way of telling because they don't have a header. Many available on the net have the ROM type code like 2716 included in the file name so the program assumes anything with 27 somewhere in the file name is not a-law compressed. If a wave looks wrong, try adding 27 to the filename. While the uncompressed .bin files work, they are only 8 bit originally so wont sound as good as the a-law DX roms.

When a file is loaded, it’s wave is displayed twice. Original and 2:1 compressed. A scale indicates how much of the wave will fit into a single G2 variation. Use the other scale buttons to change to other ratios. The last selected ratio will be how the wave is saved to the G2.
Add up to 8 files. You can go back to view other waves by clicking on its row in the table but I haven’t implemented delete or replace yet.

When happy with your set, click the Get PCH2 button and download your pch2 file.

Last edited by ian-s on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To do list:

Add trim start control
    Allow multi-variation spanning so one sample can span up to 8 variations.
    Web audio auditioning of sounds.
    Allow deleting an entry from the table.
    Put name bars into pch to record filenames and ratios.Write names etc to textpad: done
    Allow selection of patch envelope time???

Last edited by ian-s on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please feel free to report any issues or make comments here.

The AIFF format file header records the sample rate as an 80bit extended floating point number so I don't know if my code will report correctly > 48K.

You should probably downsample in a wave editor if you have any very high sample rate files anyway.

The decimation in my code uses a very basic FIR.

Hopefully Tim will come up with a higher resolution sample patch with frequency shifting and I can tweak the code to work with it.
Lfohead

Audio files: 6
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! will have a look soon Smile
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most interesting. I just did a quick test on one file so far but the results were very positive. Particularly interested to see that you plan to implement MIDI files.
ZeeByeZon

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work !
Will it be possible to download the app to run it without internet connection?

I tried it quickly and I think it would be better to normalize the wave before converting to pch. I had some example where the sound is much too low.
ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ZeeByeZon wrote:
Great work !
Will it be possible to download the app to run it without internet connection?

I tried it quickly and I think it would be better to normalize the wave before converting to pch. I had some example where the sound is much too low.

You can run it locally only if you have a local server like visual studio or something, the problem is the browser wont accept the template blobs from a local file system.
I could look at implementing an app.manifest so it could run off line, but my isp won't allow that mime type.

I'm working on a 2xsample rate version but yes, doing the optimization in a wave editor is a good idea. The old drum Roms work well because they are carefully sampled at a pretty low rate. I should put a link to the collection I have on the page.
ZeeByeZon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In fact I meant the volume is too low, some wav samples may not use the full dynamic range and in such cases, the volume should be raised.
This needs a first pass to measure the maximum amplitude in the sound file, then a second pass to apply a gain to each sample.
ian-s

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ZeeByeZon wrote:
In fact I meant the volume is too low, some wav samples may not use the full dynamic range and in such cases, the volume should be raised.
This needs a first pass to measure the maximum amplitude in the sound file, then a second pass to apply a gain to each sample.

Good point, Normalization is easy to do. Will add to my list. Probably normalize just prior to the a-law compression.

I have a rather large collection of 8 bit samples including DX,DMX,SCI,LINN and SQ80 which I'll make available in a zip archive.

I imagine that most people would like to use there own wav or aiff files though.

Last edited by ian-s on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
xav

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That seems like a sample converter for G2... is it possible?
Incredible!
ian-s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just uploaded a significant update. Same link as op.

The app now uses the hi res dual pair of sequencers and utilities the FX area so you still have the same number of patches and sample time.

The sample start trimmer is shorter to reflect the higher sample rate. The name of files that you use and their time scale is recorded in the text pad area for future reference.

I have attached a sample performance to indicate how to trigger the samples. I had planned on allowing you to span more than one variation with a single sample but am having some trouble getting the triggering to work. If you click on the span cell in the table, the number will increase by one and the system will split the file across that number of slots. Be careful, I haven't implemented any bounds checks so if the total of all the spans > 8 you might crash the app. I mention it only in case someone wants to have a go at getting the multi-var trigger working.

The sample prf2 has an extra seguencer to compensate for a 32nd note timing issue I haven't tracked down yet.

new prf.prf2
 Description:
just to show how you might trigger one of these sample patches.
Triggering likely to change in future versions.

Download
 Filename:  new prf.prf2
 Filesize:  28.97 KB
 Downloaded:  4007 Time(s)

ian-s

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just published the version with midi>pch2 function ported from the other app. This version uses a new template that contains 80bars and has the option of setting individual tracks to SlotA-D (or off).

There is a compromise for the extra bars, each variation now has 10 bars which doesn't allow repeating sets of bars multiple times. I should allow for selection of a more 4:4 friendly template in a future version.

Here is an example (muss_7.mid again sorry) but at least the entire thing fits in this time at 4*higher timing resolution.

m7.prf2
 Description:
The whole promenade in higher res, + a little bit of the next...
THe prf2 shows how to chain variations with 10 bars each.

Download
 Filename:  m7.prf2
 Filesize:  49.84 KB
 Downloaded:  4031 Time(s)

urbanspaceman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, i tried on chrome and ff on linux with no success..
any idea?

The code is opensource?
i'm a web developer and i'm interested on the code side
ian-s

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

urbanspaceman wrote:
hi, i tried on chrome and ff on linux with no success..
any idea?

What is linux?

Just kidding. I don't have access to linux machine. Do those browsers support javascript 5 with typed arrays?

I know there is an issue with IE10, everything works except for the final conversion of the patch data to a downloadable link.

urbanspaceman wrote:
The code is opensource?
i'm a web developer and i'm interested on the code side

NordPch2.js and ModuleDic.js are derived from the g2ools python github project. I only converted enough to service this task however. You would need to do a fare amount of work to get it to the point where it can add to (rather than just modify) a pch2.

The alaw compression was a bit tricky to get working but outside of this app, it probably isn't of much use. Midi and wave file parsing has not been exhaustively tested so please feel free to use whatever you like.

ZenDom only works on modern browsers but I have a shim that allows it to be used on IE8 and above. Let me know if you are interested. I am still not sure if it is a good idea.
sellblue

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: G2 sample playback.
Subject description: Online app for sample playback.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
link

Chrome or Firefox only, get latest if not sure. Works almost on IE10 but link wont save so useless.

Here we go. Alpha 0.1 of online audio sample to pch2 creator. Still a bit rough sorry.

Hi Ian, is this converter tool still available somewhere? The link seems like dead. I'm working on a TR-909 pach and would like to include the original hihat and cymbal samples into it.
ian-s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vodafone went out of the personal web page hosting business a long time ago but I did rescue some of the old projects and put them on git hub. The sample idea didn't work so well though. Planned to auto switch variations to make longer samples but turns out there is a delay when a variation changes which spoils the result.

The bandwidth would not be high enough for cymbals I think. Can pm you a link if you like.
sellblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ian-s wrote:
Vodafone went out of the personal web page hosting business a long time ago but I did rescue some of the old projects and put them on git hub. The sample idea didn't work so well though. Planned to auto switch variations to make longer samples but turns out there is a delay when a variation changes which spoils the result.

The bandwidth would not be high enough for cymbals I think. Can pm you a link if you like.

Thanks Ian, I would highly appreciate the link.

TR-909 has 3(4) sampled instruments: Open / Closed Hihat, Ride and Crash packed into three 8 bit (originally 6 bit) samples. The sample rate is 32 kHz (originally 30 kHz).

So that would need 96 KB of memory and 32 kHz clock.

Regarding the bandwidth I could manage make a 48 kHz sample player (see 48kHz_Wave.pch2) however as you have mentioned the available "memory" in the serialy connected sequencers is limited.
In theory I see 2 x ~0.5 KB per patch (VA/FX) using sequencers. 8 variations could multiply it up to 8 KB however this methold sounds glitchy as mentioned.

Is there another workaround to pack large amount of data into a pch2 file (as ROM) and unpack it in the machine (eg. using delays as RAM)?

r909hh.wav
 Description:
Open / Closed Hihat
- length 1s, (32 KB)
- Sampling frequency: 32 kHz

Download
 Filename:  r909hh.wav
 Filesize:  32.04 KB
 Downloaded:  84 Time(s)

r909cr.wav
 Description:
Crash:
- length 1s, (32 KB)

Download
 Filename:  r909cr.wav
 Downloaded:  88 Time(s)

r909rd.wav
 Description:
Ride
- length 1s, (32 KB)

Download
 Filename:  r909rd.wav
 Downloaded:  81 Time(s)

48kHz_Wave.pch2
 Description:
Wavetable player at fixed 48 kHz

Download
 Filename:  48kHz_Wave.pch2
 Filesize:  1.17 KB
 Downloaded:  195 Time(s)

Last edited by sellblue on Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The OG utility can be accessed here.
I did experiment a bit with decoding each variation into a delay but couldn't get it working Evil or Very Mad
sellblue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot.
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: