electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Vocoder issues...
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Vocoder issues... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I emailed a similar message, but thought I'd repeat the post here, as it may be useful to others, if this gets resolved.

I only hear white noise coming from the output. With no external cables attached, I connect my scope to the inputs. Attached pictures show what I see with the scope at the inputs and outputs.

DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
 Description:
Measured at the input
 Filesize:  58.98 KB
 Viewed:  674 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png

DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png
 Description:
Measured at the output with 50% gain. Frequency increases with gain.
 Filesize:  55.86 KB
 Viewed:  610 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DS1Z_QuickPrint2.png

LektroiD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now I feel rather silly...

I forgot to ground the PCB to the panel components. Embarassed

LektroiD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would like to say that there is one small issue... the lowpass band bleeds into the output. I built the individual band level controls, and the only way to get around it is to shut that band off completely. But it would be nice to have it working properly. Any ideas how to prevent this bleed through?
Shock_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

signal bleedthrough can be caused by capacitive coupling of cables, make sure you have some power supply filter caps aswell, you could even calculate them to cancel out the kind of frequencies you are working with.
Shielding is the usual solution for blocking out outside/unwanted signals.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I placed the specified value caps as per the BOM, and used shielded cables on every connection, unless otherwise stated in the build docs…

It's just the lopass which has the bleed. All other bands work as expected.

Shock_Hazard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hnmmm weird... I'd have to get a look inside to really tell you more, you seem to have done everything well.
By capacitive coupling I didn't mean anything to do with the capacitors- it's really that unintentional capacitors are created by close together cables, allowing the passage of AC signals between cables, but if shielded, as you have done, that problem should be prevented.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does the lowpass section have any traces that have long(ish) parallel runs next to the output traces? That's the most common way for coupling to happen. The rev 1 TTSH's had that problem with VCOs 2 & 3, had to cut a trace and run the signal a different way with a shielded cable.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's interesting is the problem is only evident when the modulation source (mic input) is set to 'mic', when switched to 'line', it works as intended (no bleed).
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
What's interesting is the problem is only evident when the modulation source (mic input) is set to 'mic', when switched to 'line', it works as intended (no bleed).

That's not surprising: a mic level signal needs more amplification, which means it's more likely to pick up low-level bleed.
LektroiD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

That's not surprising: a mic level signal needs more amplification, which means it's more likely to pick up low-level bleed.

I'd understand that, but the bleed comes from the carrier (synth). It is still present when the modulator is turned fully anticlockwise, so the signal is ground zero. When I switch the modulator to line and turn the dial to maximum, no bleed.

The bleed only comes from the hipass and lopass bands (I did the individual band mod, so it was easy to determine).

LektroiD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still no further with this... As a workaround, I have been using a mic pre and running it through line, but would be nice to have it all self contained...
Bodo1967

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LektroiD wrote:
I'm still no further with this...

It's exactly the same as in mine. As far as I can tell, the problem sits in the onboard mic preamp.

I have constant 260 mV on pin 1 of IC1 resulting in about 1.4 V on pin 7 of that IC when the audio toggle switch is set to 'mic', no matter how I set any of the pots. I double checked all the component values in that section but couldn't find any mistake on my side.

LektroiD wrote:
As a workaround, I have been using a mic pre and running it through line, but would be nice to have it all self contained...

That's exactly what I do as well Laughing .

LektroiD wrote:
but would be nice to have it all self contained...

Absolutely!
LektroiD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did anyone manage to solve this?
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: