electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
WaveWiper 2.0 (improved version)
Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I already sold a couple and there are some other others who showed interest so I am giving them a chance to get some first.
But if there are any boards left you're next on the list. There will probably be another run though. And yes I do want to make
panels, I need them myself anyway. I ordered some transfer paper from china to see if I can get good results with the
toner transfer method (will take a couple of weeks before that arrives). Another option would be using PCB material but
eagle lite doesn't support the panel size. So I have to find something else to design that with and figure out how to import an
image exactly to scale (I did make a design).

As for what it does have a look at the manual Cool

Last edited by PHOBoS on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ayab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Wavewiper PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Phobos

Have been quietly following this thread and it is good to see your idea come to fruition. Lovely design.

I'm up for a pair of boards too - how much are they? Feel free to pm me your email and will paypal you and give you my address.

All the best

Last edited by Ayab on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There Smile

Phobos helped me out when I had a wee anomaly on the breadboarded V2.1 circuit , thanks again .

I had an idea for something using the wave wiper and done some tests to see what happens when running 2 wave wipers in series and also to see what it sounded like with FX / filters / wave folder / 5pulser etc between the wipers almost like a send & return loop , the results were that pleasing I have decided to build a 4 wave wiper module Smile Smile Smile Smile .

I was initially thinking of having 4 fully modular wipers , and changed my mind to have 2 fully modular ones with a slave wiper under each with an added cross over switch to swap over output 1B and output 2A , which will be wired through, going into input 3B and input 4A, also a couple of veroboard simple LFO's

The diagram below is showing the inputs and outputs & how the cross over switch operates in the middle and the lfo destinations.

The bottom file is version 4 of trying a few hardware layouts ( to be turned skrog blue once im ready for ordering a panel sticker) .

Dave.

w4ve wiper PLAN sml.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.3 KB
 Viewed:  564 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

w4ve wiper PLAN sml.jpg

Wave Wiper Phobos V3 sml.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  757.9 KB
 Viewed:  547 Time(s)

Wave Wiper Phobos V3 sml.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds Smile

I recorded some of the tests I wanted to try with my breadboarded wave wiper (s), here are some mp3s & descriptions of set ups .......

Dave.

1 wave wipe saw & squ in +lfo.mp3
 Description:
one wave wipe with a vco square to in 1A and separate vco saw into in 1B , I am swinging the wipe set pot to start with then turn up the cv input which has a Mfos LFO patched up.

Download
 Filename:  1 wave wipe saw & squ in +lfo.mp3
 Filesize:  2.26 MB
 Downloaded:  1068 Time(s)

2 wipes in series seperate lfo's to each.mp3
 Description:
2 wave wipes in series with a separate LFO into each cv input , again turning the wipe set pot and adjusting speeds of the lfo's , same inputs as before but changed the pitch of one VCO.

Download
 Filename:  2 wipes in series seperate lfo's to each.mp3
 Filesize:  2.76 MB
 Downloaded:  1051 Time(s)

2 wipes series with Mfos wave freaker inseterd between.mp3
 Description:
2 wipers in series this time with a Mfos wave freaker patched as an insert FX between output 1A and slave wiper 1A input , the wave freaker has a frequency divider & fold/ shape type actions , adjusting lfo speeds & amounts & wipe set adjustme

Download
 Filename:  2 wipes series with Mfos wave freaker inseterd between.mp3
 Filesize:  1.86 MB
 Downloaded:  1040 Time(s)

2 wipes series with 5Pulser inserted beteween them.mp3
 Description:
2 wipers in series with a ian fritz 5pulser inserted between first wiper out 1A and slave wiper in 1A I use a slow lfo to hear the stepping sounds and adjusted the speed for lfo 2.

Download
 Filename:  2 wipes series with 5Pulser inserted beteween them.mp3
 Filesize:  3.65 MB
 Downloaded:  998 Time(s)

2 wipes series with delay FX between them.mp3
 Description:
this one I tried a delay FX between the wipers ,a dual sequencer is now playing the 2 VCOs , turning the delay time up & down, and adjusting the lfo speeds ..... at the very end of this file it sounds like a modular Status Quo riff , hehe , new terri

Download
 Filename:  2 wipes series with delay FX between them.mp3
 Filesize:  4.8 MB
 Downloaded:  1079 Time(s)

piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the samples.
I was wondering what it sounded like with harmonics of the same wave in both inputs, the 5-pulser gets in that area.
and
that Glaswegian drunken slur at the beginning of the last one is a good indication of the possibilities!

R
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Razz thanks for the demos Dave.

nice to hear some skrog wiping action. Especially those last 2 are pretty nuts.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smile Smile thanks , I am really looking forward to building the Quad one .

Dave.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavewiper PCB Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ayab wrote:
I'm up for a pair of boards too - how much are they? Feel free to pm me your email and will paypal you and give you my address.

If there are any boards left you are next on the list.

Ayab

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Wave wiper Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Phobos

Thank you will look forward to hearing if you have any spare
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Smile

Boards arrived early in the week , thanks Phobos , snapped off the top boards & got to work soldering the diodes / resistors / ic sockets / caps etc onto the 4 main pcbs .

Also finished the final layout on the panel (100mm x 250mm) , legends converted to blue and was thinking about the lfo's controlling a series wave wiper stack each , both stacks lfo amount into 1&3 / 2&4 would be swept the same direction , so I squeezed in 2 extra switches , one inverts the respective lfo1 / lfo2 into the slave wipers only, and the other switch will swap lfo 1 & 2 over (lfo2 to wiper 3 , lfo1 to wiper 4)

Hope to get the final sticker design ordered through next week sometime.

Dave

components on.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  480.27 KB
 Viewed:  474 Time(s)

components on.jpg

Wave Wiper Phobos V5 bLUE convert curves sml.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  598.38 KB
 Viewed:  465 Time(s)

Wave Wiper Phobos V5  bLUE  convert curves sml.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks promising dave Very Happy

bigsmurf smurfin
smurf brilsmurf

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all , I was bedridden with a nasty flu bug most of last week , managed to do a bit of construction on the W4ve wiper Friday evening & yesterday.

Panel drilled & sockets, pots , switches fitted to faceplate now , 4 boards plus add on veroboard circuit with the 2 LFO's is attached .

wiring to pots & jacks all done, now ready to test & record some demo sounds later tonight....

Dave.

Drilled & ready for sockets.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  848.25 KB
 Viewed:  472 Time(s)

Drilled & ready for sockets.jpg

pots & sockets & switches fixed on.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  545.07 KB
 Viewed:  473 Time(s)

pots & sockets & switches fixed on.jpg

W4ve Wipers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  582.88 KB
 Viewed:  475 Time(s)

W4ve Wipers.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View from the front ...........

W4ve Wiper.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  547.69 KB
 Viewed:  466 Time(s)

W4ve Wiper.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks great Dave! can't wait to hear it. too much coffee
and nice solution with the bracket sandwich.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More sounds Smile

First mp3 is 2 vcos sync'd together with square from 1vco and saw from 2nd vco going into wiper 1 & wiper 3 (left hand series stack) . A sequencer bass line runs the vcos and various combinations of internal & external lfo's / sequencer cv was tried on the cv inputs.

Second mp3 is a droney track , fed a differently modulated vco to each wiper (drums plugged into wiper 4), adjusting cv inputs & lfo speeds and wipe set positions.

wipers with 2 vcos in sync.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wipers with 2 vcos in sync.mp3
 Filesize:  3.65 MB
 Downloaded:  986 Time(s)

W4VE drones.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  W4VE drones.mp3
 Filesize:  9.51 MB
 Downloaded:  1006 Time(s)

piedwagtail

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Find it hard to discern what's happening without an oscilloscope Confused Smile

Like the soundworld of the second one, had me immediately reaching for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvlQ8TQsmQA

which is watchable in its entirety as Welt am Draht.

R
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piedwagtail wrote:

Just watched part one - it has some interesting music!

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice demos Dave I especially like the W4VE drones. Very Happy

and Welt am Draht is a great movie

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piedwagtail wrote:
Find it hard to discern what's happening without an oscilloscope Confused Smile

R

Hullo Smile

On the first set of demos , I had the outputs connected direct to a stereo channel on my mixer , with headphones it was easy to hear the sound sources being flung side to side with different modulations.
The mp3 "2 vco's in sync" , I used the W4ve wiper in a typical mono bass line patch up ...vcos / wipers / vca / mixer , it is acting as a type of bass line fattener almost like using something like Ken Stone wave folders to spice up a "plain Jane" synth line.

When patching up lots of wipers in series , I found just using a single output from the end of line wiper worked really well , when patching the 2 outputs of a full series chain of wipers to the built in 4 ch. mixer of my vca ( no panning) there was occasional cancellation and also distortion depending on where the wipe dials were set , but that is understandable with both outputs into a single vca.

Loving the twisting sounds this makes , perfectly suited for my Epicyclus & Orchard music Smile Smile

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
nice demos Dave I especially like the W4VE drones. Very Happy

and Welt am Draht is a great movie

Thanks Phobos Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

piedwagtail wrote:
Like the soundworld of the second one, had me immediately reaching for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvlQ8TQsmQA

R

Thanks Smile , wow that does look a good film , I will have to check it out when I get time some weekend .

One film I saw a few months ago was really good , The Parallax view (1974)
madtextureenvy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: What just happened?! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think i just bought a WW2.1...

I was just reading up on some newish posts and reexamining your Simple Sampler(I have a YAKBAK that has been in my project drawer for 2 years now) not but minutes ago...

Then there is this blank spot in my memory... and suddenly I am staring at a PayPal confirmation...

Mwuhuhahahaha! Twisted Evil
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I received your order and it will be shipped out today. Thank you! I hope you have fun with it. Very Happy

edit: it looks like I didn't post a link here to the other thread where I am selling the boards,
but they are available at the Stickney Synthyards Shop.

Page 2 of 2 [48 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: