electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Wanted - 30 x 30 Matrix Patchbay for Maplin 5600s
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
vout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Wanted - 30 x 30 Matrix Patchbay for Maplin 5600s Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm restoring a partially built Maplin 5600s, it is complete except for the patchbay - anyone have one they would part with? They are 30x30 and were sold by Maplin UK in the 70's/80's. Not sure who made them but they don't look like Sealectro or Ghielmetti.

Cheers, vout
merlin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

First post here so Hi to everyone!

I have a 5600S synth which I built in the early '80's so can help with part of your query.

The patch panel was made by Sealectro Ltd who were based in Portsmouth. I believe they are no longer in business. Although Ghielmetti do make patch panels they do not have a 30x30 one which would be required. The patch pins you will require are the longer variety Maplin supplied (Maplin Part code WQ10L), the 4600's panel was not only had fewer patch point, but was not as deep as the later one.

The panel I bought cost £89 in 1980, quite a cost back then.

If you need any further info I would be happy to help if I can. And did you sort out the knobs for the 5600S? It's the one part I never bought and have spent a lot of time trying to source recently. Even Maplin can't help with the original manufacturer's name.

Karl
vout

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Thanks for that info Karl. Sealectro patchbays are virtually impossible to find now unfortunately. Just hoping that someone has an old Maplin bought one squirelled away somewhere...

I did eventually find out the manufacturer of the knobs used in the 5600s - it is Power Dynamics Inc in the US, see here -

http://www.powerdynamics.com/knobs/index.html

The 5600s knobs appear to be their standard 15mm collet knobs with peaked caps.

Unfortunately, Power Dynamics are one of those manufacturers who only deal with industry types, all their distributors seem to inhabit a parallel universe of bad websites, no direct sales, no prices etc all too common in the electronics industry. I never did pursue it as I had already bought a set of different knobs for the project.

Cheers, vout
merlin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Thanks for the info ref the knobs and well done for finding the supplier. I had started to look at American distributors last night but it could have been a long search! I do work in an Electronics Department so will try to get the knobs through that route. I would really like to get the correct type as they just look right on the 5600S.

Ref. the patch panel. you could try to make something from modified 2.5 mm jack plugs. It may not look good from the back but would at least get you using the synth. There are other ideas on the web (although you have probably seen these already!)

Regards,

Karl
vout

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Yeah, it took me a long time to track those knobs down for some reason. I'd be interested to know if you do obtain them about cost and sourcing etc - I still might get them eventually, they do look perfect on the 5600s.

I have a very cheap diy solution for the patchbay that will do for just now (Theres a pdf with instructions on Derek Revells site if you are interested). I'll still keep an eye out for an original though - I will pay good money if anybody has one.

Cheers, vout
merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

vout wrote:
Hi,

Yeah, it took me a long time to track those knobs down for some reason. I'd be interested to know if you do obtain them about cost and sourcing etc - I still might get them eventually, they do look perfect on the 5600s.

I have a very cheap diy solution for the patchbay that will do for just now (Theres a pdf with instructions on Derek Revells site if you are interested). I'll still keep an eye out for an original though - I will pay good money if anybody has one.

Cheers, vout

Hi,

I have managed to get a price, well two actually, from suppliers in the USA. The cheapest work out at around £3.50 each but this is buying 100 off knobs (1/4” shaft, 15mm dia, and gloss black without line), 90 nut covers, 10 pointers and 20 each of 5 different coloured peak caps. Shipping and VAT (if payable) need to be added (and I need to ensure they quoted in $!) The price is similar to a good quality knob made in Europe. I need to query a couple of the quoted prices and ask about the shipping cost ect but at least I have been able to get the part and have an indication of the price. It may be cheaper if the quantities are higher.

As you interested?

Karl
vout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Thanks for the info Karl. So, thats around £400 for a full set - can't afford that at the moment unfortunately, but it's useful to know. I wonder if their caps will fit other collet knobs, as you can buy very similar knobs for around £1 each if you shop around.

Cheers, vout
Kipling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm also on the lookout for a patch bay as the part-finished project I recently bought did not have one but seems to have everything else.

I also gave up on the Power Dynamics knobs and went for a full set of Elma knobs instead. The only items from Elma that's very difficult to source is the pointer skirts for the oscillator switches, but I bought a job lot and have enough spares for two full sets if anyone is interested.
merlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kipling wrote:
I'm also on the lookout for a patch bay as the part-finished project I recently bought did not have one but seems to have everything else.

I also gave up on the Power Dynamics knobs and went for a full set of Elma knobs instead. The only items from Elma that's very difficult to source is the pointer skirts for the oscillator switches, but I bought a job lot and have enough spares for two full sets if anyone is interested.

Hi,

I think I recall the synth you bought. I have two 5600S, one complete and a partly built one. There is an original patch panel on the second one which, if the price is right, I may sell. It has not been used other than wired in and there are no patch pins (although I can let you have a drawing of one if required). Message me with your thoughts.

Karl
Gaetano_AU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Maplin 5600S was actually an Australian designed ETI 4600, made by Trevor Marshall and marketed by Maplin in the UK. All the current info including Construction and Schematics is here:

http://www.trevormarshall.com/eti.htm

http://www.eti4600synthesiser.org.uk/
Kipling

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks

I have visited both websites already for as much information as I can obtain.
Gaetano_AU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually had an ETI4600 years ago, I still have some PCB's and a smaller matrix board and pins.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Wanted, For Sale, Opportunities and Requests » Parts and Components
Jump to: