electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
An A4 PCB covered in lunetta circuits
Page 1 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: An A4 PCB covered in lunetta circuits Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks im getting into lunetta and simple modular stuff. What I like most is circuit design and interface stuff. Here is something im working on. Its going to be an A4 copper clad board etched with the spraypaint then laser lines in the paint technique. Then surface mount everything on it. The output and input pads will be patched by glueing magnets under the pads and little m3 nuts on wires as patch leads. Get it? The current idea is to have a few circuits to make some useful bit generating stuff to drive a double sequencer where you can assign similar but differing bits to the inputs of 4067 chips for two related but not the same pattern outputs. One of these will be pitching an oscillator running the 4017 wavetable thing. The other will output CV for whatever. The pots of the seq will be concentric for tuning both sequencers.
This might be a bit ambitious! So I might reign it in a bit. Like I say I'm mostly into design and layout and have only just started getting into the nuts and bolts of proper circuit design and logic stuff. Any thoughts on this project? Any essential CMOS thingies I should squeeze on?

Cheerz!!! xPosted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: An A4 PCB covered in lunetta circuits Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mike page wrote:
Its going to be an A4 copper clad board etched with the spraypaint then laser lines in the paint technique.

never heard of this before but I think I understand how it works, interesting Smile

Quote:
The output and input pads will be patched by glueing magnets under the pads and little m3 nuts on wires as patch leads. Get it?

yes I get it. I have seen it the other way around so patchcables with magnets. It should work nice but I would advice you
to test it to see how well it makes contact. I could also see a problem where the nuts that are getting magnetised and are
next to eachother have a tendency to stick together, of course that depends on how you orientate the magnets.

Layout looks very nice sofar but what I am missing (maybe I am just not seeing it) is pulldown resistors on inputs. you don't
want to leave them floating with nothing connected. Also add some decoupling capacitors for all the chips.

looking forward to the result.

oh and welcome

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the actual circuit design isnt that clear from just this image but it should all work so far. And I should be able to tweak a bit as im putting it together as long as its fundamentally all hooked up right. The blank space is going to be ground so pull down resistors and such can be added as necessary.

I tried having magnet leads but they become untenably annoying as they just all bunch up and stick together. which is a shame because then you could make it so one end of the lead only sticks to inputs and the other outputs.

Ive been using this patching system a bit and it works quite well i think but you have a good point i should probably test it further. Maybe 2 contacts at the end of each lead so they are a fail safe for each other. Or 1mm magnets on the top surface too to boost attraction.

Good call putting capacitors on the power for each chip too, i always forget stuff like that!

any other cmos tricks useful for a sequncer that could be added?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some basic logic gates can be very useful like AND, XOR maybe OR. And it is also useful to have some pads connected to the positive
supply so you can force inputs high. An XOR with 1 input high turns into an inverter. Shiftregisters can also be a lot of fun.

For the rest I'd say just check the lunetta forum (which you probably did) there are a lot of useful things there. And maybe you can find
something useful here Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome!

Thanks. I'll get reading...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting Smile

And welcome

synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! That looks like a great project. I like the organic form of the circuits. I guess you will layout the circuits in the other blocks like that as well? I am sure that will look great.
I tried magnetic patch cables as well, but shied away from that in the end because of the effort. The plan was to use very small neodymium magnets pressed into end cap of the cables.
Looking forward to see your progress.
mike page

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the interest everyone. Glad to be here and tobe learning
But whoa! How deep does the rabbit hole go?!

Im thinking now i'll scale back my sequencer to a single 16 step seq (i think in term of getting ones head around programming two sequencers at once it might be a headache as well as making the design way more complecated)

Ive heard its good use two chips for the sequencer, one to do the lights and one for the cv but i was thinking of doing something along these lines. Is this going to be a problem?

(pretend the chip says 4067 on it Smile )

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Oh and i was thinking of dedicAting some space for doing the idea of intalling a chip holder or two with pads around it so i can experiment with different logic chips and get to know them intimately
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes that works. However don't use resistors to mix, but diodes like it is done in the baby 10.

mike page

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats great.

thanks!
mike page

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome! I too like the organic forms, and PHOBoS beat me to it, but I would consider essential an XOR and a shift register (a 4015 probably since it's a dual but can be connected in series).

As for CMOS & sequencers, I was very inspired by Dr. Offset's 4029-based up/down sequencer. Not only does it have a pin to set the direction of the count, but also 4 "jam" inputs and a "set" pin, so one can get crazy patterns using all of those options. His demo video can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKMGsN4OXYY .

.:James:.
mike page

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow nice, the 4029 looks like a good option! I recon I'll probably use that.
Thanks for the tip off! The Jam and direction toggle functions really elevate it.
The demo vid explains it really well.

A pulse delay might be handy. I'll try and search one out...

The clock im using has voltage controlled rate and swing so I should be able to get some good wiggly rhythms going!

Cheerz!

I'll keep posting as this develops
mike page

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what would the 'carry in' and 'carry out' pins on the 4029 do?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=4031+ic&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUporkk8TPAhVDKMAKHek-Ag0Q_AUICCgD#tbm=isch&q=4029+ic&imgrc=fKYVyi2J2umfDM%3A
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The carry signal is used to cascade multiple counters. So if you want an 8-bit counter from two 4-bit counters, you connect carry out from the lower counter to carry in of the upper counter.
If you want to use the 4029 as a normal 4-bit counter, connect carry in and preset enable to ground.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the carry out could be used to create a bouncing/ping-pong counter (up/down/up/down etc),
at least I seem to recall regretting not putting it on the module I made for my Modular Lunetta when
I figured that out later. Preset Enable input is useful if you use the preset/jam inputs and even if you
don't use those as inputs you can connect them to GND and use the PE input as a reset.

For a pulse delay you could use this one.

mike page

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha, thanks! I just came across that and posted there. Here is the design with 4029...

mike page

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last edited by mike page on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike page

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

done!
mike page

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for everyones help!
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that looks absolutely great ! Razz
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yes, very nice!
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, beautiful!

.:James:.
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, what a beauty! Looking forward to see it progress - and of course to hear it.
mike page

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

triangle osc with basic modulation from michael page on Vimeo.

Its going well! I didnt plan the oscillators well enough and had to do a load of point to point building but they turned out great and worked with only a small amount of tweaking. Weirdly its simple stuff like the 4017s that are being tricky, pulses out from them seem fizzy, if I clock one with a pulse out from another it wizzes round in a burst. Ive tried lobbing capacitors at it from all angles but no luck so far. Also my 4051 doesnt seem to be up for doing anything.
Page 1 of 3 [51 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: