electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Clock reset from drum machine
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Clock reset from drum machine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
I've been using my G2 live with my band for a while now with an Alesis SR-16 drum machine controlling the clock (and our drummer!) for sequenced patches that must be in time with the kit.
It works ok but there are a few glitches. The biggest problem is resetting the clock whenever the DSP has to recalculate (i.e. when you load a new performance) to ensure that the "1" on the drum machine coincides with the "1" on the G2. Our drummer has a foot pedal that starts and stops the drum machine and we have to go through a whole load of nods and winks on stage once a performance is loaded so that he knows when to reset the clock. One problem is that if the clock is already running on the G2, in order to line up the drum machine bar position with the G2, you have to stop the clock and restart it again. Usually we end up hitting start and stop about ten times just to make sure!!
This issue is manageable but not ideal and occasionally we have had the embarrasing situation in the confusion of a gig when the G2 is out of sync with the band.
So.... my question is this:
Is there a way of sending a MIDI signal from the drum machine that can be patched to the reset input on the clock module and sequencer module(s) in the G2 to make sure that the reset is absolutely fail-safe. Until now, I have just been patching the clock active output from the clock module to the reset input on the sequencer, but then you have to go through the rigmarole described above.
I'm thinking you can set the drum machine to send MIDI notes (that correspond to the metronome) but then wouldn't these trigger notes on the G2? I'm sure there's a fix, but I'm not much of a MIDI expert.
Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope someone has an answer.
Cheers,
Angus
The Why Project

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Here's my solution, think I gave it to you before:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-4091.html&highlight=

You should be able to select which note your SR-16 is sending out
from any of the pads/internal sounds.
Just sequence one hit of the selected pad at the start of every bar, and
your G2 will stay in sync when using the above solution.
The only thing: You'll now have 1 pad/internal sound less to play with... as
you've 'reserved' the pad for the trigger...

Regards,

The Why Project
King Rat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember your solution, but wouldn't setting my drum machine to send drum notes also trigger unwanted notes on the G2? I guess my question is, how do I filter incoming MIDI note data so that they are only used for clock reset purposes, and do not actually play notes?
Cheers, Angus
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can use the midi receive module to process notes coming in on a different midi channel from the one the G2 is playing.
King Rat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool - I'll give it a try
King Rat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK
I've tried this trick but I get a problem: the reset signal from the MIDI note appears to arrive slightly after a reset signal from the Clock Active output on the clock module. As a result, the sequence lags behind the drum beat from my drum machine. You can actually hear a double note from the sequencer when you hit start on the external clock source (first presumably being the clock active signal and second being the MIDI note at the start of each bar). I can't understand why this would be the case - presumably, if there were some sort of delay in the signal, the same delay should apply to the start/stop clock signal as well as the MIDI note, but in any case there should be no delay...??
I've attached a simplified patch to illustrate.
My drum machine is sending C2 on ch.16 at the start of each bar (called C1 on my drum machine for some reason...). The patch itself is set to another MIDI channel so that the drum machine doesn't trigger actual notes from the G2. The MIDI reset signal seems to arrive 1/16 note too late. I have tried patching the clock active output to the loop input (Rob's fix for a timing sync problem if you have seq modules patched in series, but doesn't help).
Any suggestions?

MIDI sequencer reset.pch2
 Description:
Sequencer module reset by external MIDI note - MIDI reset signal arrives too late..

Download
 Filename:  MIDI sequencer reset.pch2
 Filesize:  1.6 KB
 Downloaded:  1036 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont have a drum machine and no midi on PC but it might help if you sync the notercv edge with the clk signal. If not, can you use a count in bar and put the sync note on the last 16th of each bar?

midi_sequencer_reset.pch2
 Description:
flip flop

Download
 Filename:  midi_sequencer_reset.pch2
 Filesize:  1.63 KB
 Downloaded:  1481 Time(s)

King Rat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've tried your solution.
It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't Smile
Because you're trying to force a MIDI note to line up with a clock pulse with the flip flop, it really depends on the length of logic pulse you set from the MIDIrcv module so that there's an overlap between the two. But then that in itself introduces a margin of error so the two can still remain out of sync if you start the external master while the G2 clock is already running.
I'll try sending out a retrig MIDI note on the last 1/16 of the bar, but I'd love to know why there is this timing mismatch in the system. I get nervous when live gigs depend on timing accuracy but I don't understand the problem!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: