electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
VCV Rack - Free modular soft synth
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: VCV Rack - Free modular soft synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like 2017 was the year of modular soft synths.

I won't say much because I'm sure I'll miss something. Suffice it to say that VCV Rack is FREE and awesome! Currently in beta...version .51 as of today... it is an open source project hosted at github. Plenty of free and several commercial modules available for it. Freebies include versions of the Mutable Intruments Eurorack modules (called Audible Instruments in VCV land) that use the same code as the hardware versions. Enough free modules to put together a very capable modular system. Works on Windows, MAC and Linux operating systems.

Did I say it was FREE? Very Happy

Currently it is standalone and does suck up a lot of CPU power. There is going to be a VST bridge plugin that will be released with ver 1. I've been running it on a Win 7 x64 2600 series i7 machine without any issues so far. Also works fine on my Win 8.1 x64 4700 series i7.

Here's a link to the VCV page. If you're interested in modular synthesis I encourage to check it out!

https://vcvrack.com

Also there is a blog created by one of the module developers here:

http://www.switchedonrack.com

The plugin manager that was initially released with ver .51 has been temporarily disabled as the developer was spending too much time having to disable broken plugins submitted by third-party developers. The developer is hoping to bring it back on line once version 1 of VCV Rack is released. You can still download and install modules by third parties, its just bit more complicated. There is a way to download an archive file or you can download source code and compile it locally.

If you are so inclined, you could create modules and offer them for free, sale or not at all. The developer provides the info thru github.

Enjoy!

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks interesting, thanks for the info.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've tried it out. Very much fun. Had to increase my buffer size to 2049 samples to stop it from making unwanted noises though.

Another very interesting thing that is more powerful is Audulus 3. Works on iPad, Windows and Mac.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice!
looks very promissing.

I recently tried "solorack" and was quiet dissapointed.

cheers
DES

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been running Audulus on my iPad and found it to be quite powerful though it's appearance puts me off a bit. Perhaps if it was skinnable I would be more inclined to use it more. Been toying with the idea of getting on PC but just haven't gotten around to it.

@g.gabba - wrt Solorack, what did you find disappointing about it?

gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it was just that i did not liked it
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: VCV Rack Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been toying around with VCV Rack. I find it quite enjoyable. It appears to work on my late-2009 iMac... if I increase the block size to 4096 (the max possible) on large patches. I cannot get it to open on my Windows 7 Lenovo laptop due toe a BEX64 error. I've tried many "fixes" but none have worked out so far. I really want Rack on a portable platform so I may use it in concert. I have it running on three laptops at work so I am baffled as to why it won't open on my laptop.

The folks at the FB Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcvrack/ are very nice and helpful. One member, Martin Lueders, imo, is brilliant at modular synthesis. He posts Youtube videos and shares his patches on the Group. I'm learning a LOT from his work.

If you cannot afford a modular synth, this is a fab way to get your feet wet.

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DES

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bill,

WRT to the bex64 error, I've seen some references to installed fonts causing issues. The one person I saw who had a fix said he removed all of his fonts (I'm sure he left something there..) and it worked. He did say he had something like 2500 fonts installed.... Unfortunately bex64 error is very common and in this case may not be related to fonts at all. Worth a quick test though if you have a large number of fonts installed. If it works try adding fonts back in groups until it fails. Also, are you running 32 or 64 bit?

wrt Martin Lueders - he's really good! He did a monster patch in Solorack too that's pretty cool.

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Fonts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Dave,

I have never added any fonts. Whatever is there came with the machine. Where do I look to remove fonts?

The machine is 64 bits and that's how I roll as far as I know. Can a 64 bit machine revert to 32 for any reason without my knowledge? If so, how would I force it back to 64?

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DES

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

64 bit machines can run 32 bit data but, ttbomk they don't revert to 32 bit systems. (unless you want to consider compatibilty mode as it). I only mentioned it before as I believe VCV is 64 bit only.

Fonts probably not the problem. You could try looking in the Windows event logs to see if something in particular jumps out whenever you try to run VCV. Access the event logs, clear them, then try starting VCV. When it errors out the event log should capture something....maybe a graphic driver issue happens or sound driver... You can access the event logs thru the computer management windows. If you do see something you could try shooting a message about it to Andrew (VCV developer). He's pretty timely with responses to questions....

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: