electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
when 18 knobs just aren't enough
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
OAO3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: when 18 knobs just aren't enough Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i'm looking into getting an additional midi controller for my classic (which will never be traded in), and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. i really just want a freaking panel of knobs. i was looking at this: http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG, but wanted to get some experienced opinions on what might be best for the nord...
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lots of people in the G2 sub-forum have been raving about the BCR2000 combined with a G2 engine (and there have been a few complaints too, but it doesn't look like they would apply to using it with an NM). Check out the related topics in that forum.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good suggestion, Dave. Try using the search feature and look for BCR2000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: when 18 knobs just aren't enough Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teamabunai wrote:
so i'm looking into getting an additional midi controller for my classic (which will never be traded in), and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. i really just want a freaking panel of knobs. i was looking at this: http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG, but wanted to get some experienced opinions on what might be best for the nord...

Howard has recently setup a dedicated forum for Midi Controllers, and it is getting lonely.

So perhaps we can get Controller-related traffic going over there.

Although DO search the G2 forums for the current BCR2000 topics.
There is a lot of info here.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I realy enjoy the EMU Launchpad. Based on my experiences with that one I´d recomend looking at something with a range of input methods, particularly faders and switches to compliment the knobs. To me different parameters ask for differnt kinds of controll and so a mix of knobs, faders, buttons and switches is much nicer to me then just knobs.
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I realy enjoy the EMU Launchpad. Based on my experiences with that one I´d recomend looking at something with a range of input methods, particularly faders and switches to compliment the knobs. To me different parameters ask for differnt kinds of controll and so a mix of knobs, faders, buttons and switches is much nicer to me then just knobs.

True.. i mainly got the BCR because its 20 buttons....now i would prefer it with 44 buttons and 8 knobs ..and smaller..its really a bit big without use...
I dont like when products get bigger than economical necessary just too look expensiv...you really dont need so much distance between knobs (exept you are one of these DJ posers that have to massage the knobs to get it funky )
OAO3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you guys rock, thanks! i think you've solidified me purchasing this thing, hopefully all will work out. i'm sure i'll have even more knobs than i need now.... wait, is that even possible?

on a side note i'm working on my 'modular' tattoo designs, a few of my favorite modules with some custom add ons. got my sample & hold and a LFO with externally controlled rate a la nord. was going to do a noise generator, but those seem to be pretty boring is aesthic value. and, yes, at least one of the knobs will go to eleven. maybe i'll post some pics up here once i'm all inked up...

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
True.. i mainly got the BCR because its 20 buttons....now i would prefer it with 44 buttons and 8 knobs ..and smaller..its really a bit big without use...
I dont like when products get bigger than economical necessary just too look expensiv...you really dont need so much distance between knobs (exept you are one of these DJ posers that have to massage the knobs to get it funky )

That figures because you use Live, right?

Anyway, I´ve personally never seen anybody massage knobs but if that happens a lot perhaps we should make one with presure sensitive knobs to cater to this market!

hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this might not work and I have never tried it but I just thought of it right now..

assuming you don't use all 4 patches of the G1, couldn't you set up a blank patch with a bunch of mixer modules, set them to all the 18 knobs of the patch, and assign them all to Midi control numbers. Then set the patch you want to use up with it's original knobs, and any other controls you want, just set them to those midi control numbers you set in the other patch??

I hope that doesn't sound too stupid, but I don't have time to set up and try it all out, any idea if that would work? I guess it would in effect give you a several-page option similar to the G2?

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
davep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hyperstationjr wrote:
Well this might not work and I have never tried it but I just thought of it right now..

assuming you don't use all 4 patches of the G1, couldn't you set up a blank patch with a bunch of mixer modules, set them to all the 18 knobs of the patch, and assign them all to Midi control numbers. Then set the patch you want to use up with it's original knobs, and any other controls you want, just set them to those midi control numbers you set in the other patch??

Unfortunately, no. The G1 does not have 'inter-slot' midi. Meaning you can't affect the parameters in one slot by sending/receiving midi cc's that are set up in a patch in another slot. You need the G2/engine and it's midi modules for that, to send the midi data stream from one slot to another.

OAO3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: MIDI Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so before i before i get this thing i have some questions. i have a very simple studio set up (my modular, edirol audio interface, logic 6 platinum, midisport 2x2, but have access to a 4x4), so i have very little experience dealing with MIDI issues. basically, everything has worked no problem with little or no set up. do you all think getting this thing to work on my modular will be fairly simple? i'm sure it won't be plug and play, but do you think a MIDI novice like myself will have any issues getting this set up? any tips or information i might need to get me started? if anything just some basics of sending & receiving MIDI on the modular would be nice. i realize this is pretty broad subject, but any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

one issue may be that i am using the os x beta editor. does anyone actualy use the BCR2000 for a g1? if not, what have people used for extra knobage? i'm trying to move to a very minimal and simple sound, built for being played live using just guitar and nord, maybe some other little things. but basically i have a few patches that i like but can't tweak them enough to make them as dynamic as i would like. anyway, any help is much appreciated!

corey

davep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MIDI Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

teamabunai wrote:
so before i before i get this thing i have some questions. i have a very simple studio set up (my modular, edirol audio interface, logic 6 platinum, midisport 2x2, but have access to a 4x4), so i have very little experience dealing with MIDI issues. basically, everything has worked no problem with little or no set up. do you all think getting this thing to work on my modular will be fairly simple?
corey

Getting the NM1 to RECEIVE midi is quite simple. Right click on a parameter on the screen, select "other" from the list of things to asign the parameter to, then select one of the 127 midi cc#s from the list that appears. Tada.

To get it to SEND midi, do the same thing as above, and then right click on the parameter again and assign it to a knob on the front panel. Now when you turn the knob, the parameter in the patch changes and it sends a midi cc signal that follows the knob movement.

Regarding the other devices, newer boxes that have a 'midi learn' function are easiest. You put it in 'learn mode', and move a knob on the NM and your midi knob box picks up the cc# info & auto-assigns it. The BRC has this ability.

illuminated

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Edited
Last edited by illuminated on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skiptracer wrote:
the BCR2000 is the worst MIDI controller i've ever used. way too big and feels like crap.

Welcome to EM skiptracer !

Always good to see opinions :-)

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

skiptracer wrote:
the BCR2000 is the worst MIDI controller i've ever used. way too big and feels like crap.

Yes, welcome, Skiptracer, good to have you here.

If the BCR2000 is the worst, please let us know what the best one is. Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: