electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
USB and hardware testing of G2/G2 Engine?
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: USB and hardware testing of G2/G2 Engine? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having some issues on occasion connecting my G2 Engine to my MacBook.

I'm wondering if this is related to general issues with connection/USB cable issues, which seem to be typical, or a more serious issue with the USB port of the G2.

Are there any hardware testing options for the G2? Maybe a test mode or anything, or software available to run tests?

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
jima

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are many posts about success achieved by using short high quality USB cables - what interface are you using to the G2 on your MacBook e.g. native USB, some hub, USB-C with an adapter?

Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time Sad
hyperstationjr

G2 patch files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jima wrote:
There are many posts about success achieved by using short high quality USB cables - what interface are you using to the G2 on your MacBook e.g. native USB, some hub, USB-C with an adapter?

Yes I've read through some of those. No interfaces, going directly into the MacBook USB3 port using the original USB cable, which still works just fine, I just tested it, and it worked instantly with an Elektron Digitone and their Overbridge software.

my concern is that there is an underlying hardware issue. I bough this unit new around 2005-2006, though it's been pretty gently used, especially the last few years, and only seen time in a smoke-free, pet-free studio.

That said, I know parts just fail after a time, so I wanted to see if there was any way to test things out side from just using the unit. When it connects, it works fine, and I can use it without the editor with MIDI, but obviously connecting to the editor is kind of crucial, especially for the engine.

For Sale/Trade:
Alesis Microverb 4, Make Noise 0-Coast, Monome Norns Fates clone, Panasonic RQ-705 Reel-to-reel, Roland Alpha Juno1, Yamaha TG55
jima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have one, and want to discount USB2/USB3 compatibility, you could try connecting a powered (only) USB2 hub to the MacBook then connect the G2 to the hub (not normally recommended I know) but your problem does rather suggest USB3/USB2 compatibility issues. Ironically, I have problems connecting my G2 engine to my 2017 iMac via a USB-3 hub (ORICO) but not to my MacBook USB-C with Apple USB adapter. I haven't yet had the time to fully work out which works with which. Regretfully I am not aware of any built-in hardware diagnostics.

Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time Sad
shhh21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hyperstationjr wrote:
Are there any hardware testing options for the G2? Maybe a test mode or anything…

You can try power on and press Shift + Per.Mode + DisplayMode + Store. Once booted in diagnostics mode, press A for MNB (Mainboard?) and navigate to 8/14 USB. Not sure what's tested exactly, but might be worth trying…

Do you receive any errors in the editor?
m:o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an engine, as far the op stated. So, does anyone know if there is an testmode for an engine?
shhh21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mSurprised wrote:
This is an engine, as far the op stated. So, does anyone know if there is an testmode for an engine?

Yes, you are right. Sry.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: