electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
AM radio drum machine?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
unsogno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: AM radio drum machine? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I recently came across a DIY drum machine/rhythm noise maker someone made using an AM radio (assuming as a white noise generator?). Apparently, he modified the interval timer on the power supply. I'm fairly new to electronics hacking/circuit bending, so forgive my ignorance. Can anyone give any pointers as to how I might do this? I'd like to try my hand at making something similar...

Thank you in advance for any tips, suggestions, etc.
smmpcomposer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that sounds really nice!

Do you have any links by any chance?
Seeing how it works and sounds could help having an idea on what's going on with the hacking of the radio..
[zfgenerator]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Radiodrum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I have modified two radios, one to be used as a standalone snare type drum synth and one
that is utilized as a noise generator in a drum synthesizer.

The first one is an old tube radio. I added a piezo drumpad going to trigger conditioner and
envelope generator . The EG lights a led wich forms a vactrol with a light depending resistor.
The LDR replaced the volume control potentiometer on the tube radio. I went crazy on it and
bought a little FM transmitter to send all kinds of continuous audio to the radio and then
slightly tune out of the frequency the transmitter was set to, so I could have some nice radio
noise added to whatever audio I sent into the radio snare. Very nice electronic snare sounds
possible also due to the tube amp and speaker of the radio.

The other one is a synare sensor drum synth(diy kit eBay)I modified adding a little handheld
radio to blend in some noise and a Walkman tape player with pitchmod to be able to record
any continuous sound to tape and then add it to the synthesis. For the tape I can use tape
loops but I also can record full tapes with continuous sound implementing subtle changes
over time, so the drum sound changes a little bit over time, wich I found to be very nice.

For this mod I tapped in right before the VCA of the synare, I believe it was at pin 3 of the
CA3080. I just added 2 potentiometers there one from the output of the radio and one from
the output of the tape, forming a simple passive mixer so it can add these signals to the
signal of the synare sensor VCO.

I like both units alot and will have to demonstrate them at some point.
I have some samples of the tape drum synthesizer if anyone is interested, unfortunately the
radio snare is out of reach right now due to lock down.

Don't know if this is any help? Maybe you want a radio that plays rhythmic noise instead?

🖖
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: