electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Krell Technology checking in...
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Krell Technology

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:  Krell Technology checking in...
Subject description: and possibly out...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, so I've made some noise but not sure what it "is". I put it on bandcamp, but could have just thrown it down a well. I don't have any friends who are interested, so I joined this forum to ask if someone could listen to some of it and give me some feedback as to what it might be ? I have a feeling it's not music.
Thanks very much.
Dave
https://krelltechnology.bandcamp.com
Treedress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Krell Technology checking in...
Subject description: and possibly out...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Krell Technology!

To be honest, there’s actually loads that I want to say (I originally had a whole draft written out) about your Stones E.P., as to what it might ‘be’.

So, I found ‘Whitby’ to be very moving. To clarify, I felt that it encapsulated the uneasy sound of discovery as if something unknown was being unraveled (personally, I reckon that this track, in particular, would be perfect on a score), which somehow resonated with me at this particular point in time. I guess you could say that I found it to be oddly affirming and satisfying, in that sense. Furthermore, it had an air of ambiguity to it, which I found interesting.

I liked ‘Diamonds’ and ‘El Dorado Canyon’ just fine and found, again, their ambiguity compelling. Just a thought, but I personally felt that ‘Diamonds’ would work really well as a deep-house/ tech-house track (if you’re into that sort of thing). Its really lovely deep resonance and glitchy-triplet hook felt to me like it's screaming out for a crispy beat underneath it. Maybe not. Anyways, just a thought.

Finally, I enjoyed the Bonham-esque drum homage of ‘Gall’. Plus, the general crunchy sound of the drums was great! Was this a sample? It sounded like it, but I couldn’t be sure, which I guess is, again, a good sign.

Ultimately, I guess that I would argue that this collection is more than just ‘noise’, as it evoked many feelings in me. I felt something, and I believe that means that you’ve created music.

What was your inspiration, if you don’t mind me asking?
wakyct

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the bad news, Dave -- it's art.

(agree with Treedress on Stones, also, Wire We Hear is quite good).
Krell Technology

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Big big thank you guys for taking the time to listen - I'm learning day by day, but these first steps can be a bit gruesome.
Whitby is reprised as Trio on the bits collection - stretched, echoed etc, and the photo I took on my way to work way back goes nicely with it. El Dorado canyon was the codename for the American bombing of Libya in 1986 and I was living in northern Spain at the time in Huesca. The bombers flew overhead in the middle of the night - too high up to see - we just heard the sound of death approaching and it felt really evil, so I wanted to share that sound with the world. Gall refers to the cheek of sampling someone else's work, and the drums are from an album by left lane cruiser track is of course when the levee breaks but they have a dirtier approach which I like.
I'm a frustrated painter, and my ambition was to get at least one canvas in the next Nazi exhibition of degenerate art... Coming round again soon. I guess I'm just doing the same paintings, but with sounds. Wakyct your comment made me laugh and made my day - bad art it may be, but it is art damn it and I'm not ashamed ! There's a video of Crank here - taken from a bus along the coast road to Havana. Had to open a Twitter account just to get it on the web. Bah. https://twitter.com/KrellTechnology/status/1369015118214934528?s=19
Many thanks again for your support, and I hope you get something from it - I'm not a musician, but if real musicians can find a grain of inspiration in this stuff it will be worthwhile.
wakyct

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krell Technology wrote:
Had to open a Twitter account just to get it on the web. Bah.

If you're so inclined, look into the Fediverse. For example another musician I like posts his occasional videos here, https://diode.zone/about/instance , which is a server ("instance") running PeerTube, an alternative YouTube. Similarly that musician posts on Mastodon, an alternative to Twitter, here https://planet.chrisbeckstrom.com/cb , and uploads music like https://archive.org/details/beckstrom-modsrc0 (though Bandcamp is really good too).

Cheers, George
Krell Technology

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks George - the fediverse looks like my kind of place - honey, I'm home...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it's art - and I like what I heard sofar - almost all of Pieces - and will listen some more ... it is .. different, a good thing Cool

Also welcome Dave.

And also .. what did you use to make this music? You mentioned samples ... 'wire we hear' shows some gear on the cover ...

edit: Night in the forest reminded me on some oolde music from soviet * france :: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=soviet+*+france

edit 2 : especially liked "The Krell Suite 2 - Krell Technology" after hearing it all - this may have depended on my quiting down for the night a bit Smile

Krell Technology

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for listening ! I am indebted to your tolerant ears and minds !
The sounds are all produced on the Arturia microbrute, with the volca beats Christmas present featuring on some of pieces and Wire we hear, giving a little more structure. The volca is capable of some weird sounds in its own right, which is just as well, as the drum sounds are a bit bontempi IMHO. I also have an old no. 1 Electronics theremin, but it will be some time before i use it again after the debacle that was monsters from the Id. I have a cheap guitar which I sometimes plug into the synth, and this will feature heavily on forthcoming side project - Zeng solos vol.1.

The audio interface is the cheapest Beringer umc22, and the daw is audacity cos it's free.
I've also got an old Sony reel to reel that my son found in a skip, which needs some repairing before I can use it's capabilities.

The only sample was on Gall, and I felt bad about using it, although there are some D.A.F sequencer patterns on the microbrute forum which I used on the first album. I decided not to try and charge money for my stuff at that point, as I think it will look better in court if I don't.

The tracks are made indirectly - I have an idea, try to reproduce it with three hours of knob twiddling, then listen to it next morning when the drugs have worn off. If anything sticks, I cut it and work it over on the DAW.

For the Zeng solos project, I started with the concept of a mythical instrument, inspired partly by the patent diagram used on the cover. I then wrote an introduction to the Zeng, which gives a suggestion of what it might sound like, thus setting some parameters for the sound I then try to reproduce. Only done one track so far, but it made me laugh out loud it's so bad. Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: