electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
New soundlab whoo
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Clack

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: New soundlab whoo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I gave up building it completely out of stripboard because I wanted to finish it, so here it is I found an electronic enclosure big and cheap enough which was conveniant. I didnt really mean to make it look so industrial ut its cool anyway. I put on rubber feet and strap hooks. Its not fuly working yet, the A-R doesnt seem to work also the tuning pots of the oscilators got bust for some reason and they have a very limited range ( my multimeter only reads 50k across them ) but i have spares also there is going to be an inbuilt piezo trigger thing.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

the orange is far deeper and brighter coloured than the photo

mmm white pcb Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lookin Good. I dig the straphooks. Whats up with the VCA? I forget the tech term, but I thought mine was messed up when I finished mine
because I coundn't get it to work with the AR. Well, come to find out its like the Arp 2600 (and probably alot of other synths) The VCA needs to be down or it raises the initial over that of the AR or LFO or whatever you using. Hope that made sense and hope its as simple as that.

Clack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm with the VCA right down to 1 and the A-R on I can hear it quite loudly and none of the AR controlls seem to work. ok and ive just discovored osclilator 2 is bleeding through the noise
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
ok and ive just discovored osclilator 2 is bleeding through the noise

This has had quite some discussion on here http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6965.html

I had that problem at first and I went through a ton of 2n3904's till the noise pretty much over rides it. I don't even notice it anymore.

Did you fix the osc'ers?

Can you describe whats up with the VCA?

I won't be able to help "electronically" but if I experienced your problem with mine maybe I can help until some more knowledgeable chimes in.

Clack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the VCA works fine its the AR that doesnt seem to work at all, I have tried it on all the areas i can use it on , what it seems to do on osc2 is turn the frequency right down , then when i sweep through the output it seems to go from low frequency to high then back to low when i reach 10. but i cant get anything to work in the AR any setting I use. on the VCA it does the opposite the volume goes up when i turn it on but none of the AR controlls work except the output which just changes the volume of the vca

it seems like there is no envelope happening, i need to get in with a scope

and i was being stupid with the pots , osc 2 works fine but osc1 frequency goes off the range around 4
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shute my bad, I didn't read your post very well I guess.
Quote:
the A-R doesnt seem to work

oops

So it sounds like its working except the attack and release pots?

I'm sure you've done the usual dbl, trple, quadrple check your wiring.
For me its usually something real dumb that gets overlooked.

There is the tech info at the bottom of the sound lab page with voltages, etc. I'll just be quiet now as I believe I am being of no help. You made it this far I'm sure it'll get figured out.

Clack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no thanks it was kinda helpfull, heh i think i may have found the AR problem i found a bc548b transistor soldered in instead of 2n3904 i have no idea how that happened!! hmm it still doesnt work, i changed the 40106 just incase it blew it but still nothing Confused

basically everything except the output of the AR doesnt work
Wild Zebra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks like the output pot just connects to pin 7 of IC2 and to -9v and the AR. So maybe swap the LF444 (IC-2) and make sure your going to -9v. Well finding that wrong tranny was astep in the right direction. Its always something silly.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: