electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
clock gen question
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
slave to this

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: clock gen question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys,

this is my first post, but i've been a lurker for awhile. just wanted to say hello, and perhaps get some help with this. i know its possible to divide a clock gen signal, but lets just say for some crazy reason i want to maybe multiply the divided signal by something to bump it up even faster than what it was originally?

is this a possible?

i'm just exploring...but any help would be appreciated.

james
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The quick way is to use the 1/96th output from the clockgen vs the 1/16th output ... and use a clockgen set to 3 to get a 1/32nd note resolution ...

I have asked clavia for a clock multipler module or to add a button to the clock divider which can toggle from [divide] to [multiply] ...

another way is to use the 1/96th output and connect it to a zero crossing module or pitch detect to convert the clockgen gate to the pitch of an osc (a pulse osc), which you can then freely transpose (vs being tied to the clock division only -- essentially equivalent to transposing by -12) ... I do not have my g2 in front of me now, so I'll have to double check & try this ...

/Dasz
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome James. Good to see you come out of the woodwork. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this the James I spoke to over the phone with you, mosc?

/Dasz
slave to this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nah, not me. i'm still on the peasant list compared to you guys.

thanks for your reply though, dasz. i'd be interested in seeing your alternative way of doing this whenever you get around to it, if you wouldn't mind. its not so much that im in dire need of knowing this for some patch i'm working on...its more along the lines of "let me see if i can do this."

just trying to improve the skills.

james
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Frequency multiplication can be done on a variety of basic waveforms, the pulse being an exception. This patch shows a LFOB is clock sync mode. At the highest setting, it produces a sine wave at the same rate as the 1/96 output of a clock module.
The sine frequency doubler increases this to 1/192 and 1/384.
You can use a full wave rectifier and level shifter to do the same thing with a triangle wave. Also, symmetrical square can be doubled by creating and mixing a positive and negative edge pulse.

doubler.pch2
 Description:
frequency doubled synced clock

Download
 Filename:  doubler.pch2
 Filesize:  1.57 KB
 Downloaded:  1587 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

James,

Here's the patch I was describing.

Btw, nice solution g2ian ...

/Dasz

ClockMult_DZ.pch2
 Description:
A simple clock mutlipler with fine-tunable multiplication. use the osc's tuning to change division/mutliplication +12 semitones = multiplied x2, -12 divided by 2 ...

Download
 Filename:  ClockMult_DZ.pch2
 Filesize:  1.24 KB
 Downloaded:  1480 Time(s)

slave to this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks ian...exactly what i was looking for.

james
slave to this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks as well dasz. i would have never thought of doing it that way.

james
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no problem ... always happy to help ....

Quote:
nah, not me. i'm still on the peasant list compared to you guys.

you're not a peasant, we are all equal, we are all nord freaks ... vive la revolution!!!

i used to be a lurker like you, for many years with my (now sold) Nord Modular Micro & Keyboard (also sold), and I kept on pluggin' away until I firgured out my way of working with the nords... you'll find your own way too, it just takes time and listening to posts around here and the maillist ... and trying things out for yourself is the key ...

/Dasz
ps.: I am so glad the nords use virtual patch cables. i have 2 cats, one of them (called Cypress) has a fetish for chewing through 1/4" patchcords (and any cables thinner than that). They both helped me to test and sound design the factory soundset sequencer patches/prf2's ...

cypress the beta tester and patch cord disconnect queen.jpg
 Description:
cypress.... the patch cord disconnector cat ... aka chew through cables queen ...
 Filesize:  30.27 KB
 Viewed:  10717 Time(s)

cypress the beta tester and patch cord disconnect queen.jpg

slave to this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm pluggin, i'm pluggin javascript:emoticon('Cool')

while we're on clock divider conversations...where is the fixed clock divider as shown on page 178 of the manual?
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

slave to this wrote:
where is the fixed clock divider as shown on page 178 of the manual?

It got dumped after 1.0, I guess it had no functionality over the variable one.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: